Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's up with the Bread here?!!

What's up with the Bread here?!!

Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's up with the Bread here?!!

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Must try Aldi's later too: not expecting quality but might be a few things worth buying there.
TJs is also an Aldi, technically. Don't sniff at the quality of Aldi stuff, its sourced from the same sort of suppliers. Aldi is taking the UK market by storm, with their reasonably priced, high quality offerings
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
TJs is also an Aldi, technically. Don't sniff at the quality of Aldi stuff, its sourced from the same sort of suppliers. Aldi is taking the UK market by storm, with their reasonably priced, high quality offerings
The thing with Aldi, the quality of the stores seem to vary quite a bit. Our local one is a bit grim, but others I've been to were much nicer and clean. The quality of the boxed foods were great though.

TJ's, for the most part have been pretty much all the same and rather nice. Except the parking, which has always been shit.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Every now and again (or maybe every week - can't remember) back in the UK, Aldi's had a small selection of stuff that would only come out once in a while - for example, I got a load of ski stuff (never used!). I didn't say I was sniffing at the quality, just that I don't expect it to be in the same league as TJ, Wholefood, Sprouts etc. Certainly wasn't in the UK, put it that way.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:06 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The thing with Aldi, the quality of the stores seem to vary quite a bit. Our local one is a bit grim, but others I've been to were much nicer and clean. The quality of the boxed foods were great though.
The one near our old place was like the inside of a skip.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

TJ's, for the most part have been pretty much all the same and rather nice. Except the parking, which has always been shit.
The nearest Aldi to us is rather gloomy inside I admit, but usefully, it has a horse hitching rail for all the Amish farmers from round here.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Adambradshaw
There is and Aldi in the US!?
https://www.aldi.us/
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adambradshaw
There is and Aldi in the US!?
Yes - at least 2 that I know of around me.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Every now and again (or maybe every week - can't remember) back in the UK, Aldi's had a small selection of stuff that would only come out once in a while - for example, I got a load of ski stuff (never used!). I didn't say I was sniffing at the quality, just that I don't expect it to be in the same league as TJ, Wholefood, Sprouts etc. Certainly wasn't in the UK, put it that way.
Fairly new store so looked quite pleasant inside. Found some stuff not available elsewhere and it was on the way back from somewhere so worked out ok. 25c for the trolley - not seen that in the US as far as I can remember!
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Fairly new store so looked quite pleasant inside. Found some stuff not available elsewhere and it was on the way back from somewhere so worked out ok. 25c for the trolley - not seen that in the US as far as I can remember!
Visited my local store a few times. At peak hours when people are coming and going frequently it seems that it's courtesy to give your (paid) cart to someone else. So of course we've gone along and not paid for one yet.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tom169
Visited my local store a few times. At peak hours when people are coming and going frequently it seems that it's courtesy to give your (paid) cart to someone else. So of course we've gone along and not paid for one yet.
Funny you should say that: not especially busy but while I was fumbling in my wallet for a coin, a lady did just give me a trolley, despite me offering her the quarter I'd just found. So we paid it forward... well, tried to anyway. Nobody to give it to! Suppose I could have just left it without plugging it into the chain. Ah well.