Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats the skinny on models?

Whats the skinny on models?

Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:58 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the skinny on models?

They've been banned for being too thin...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...els/index.html

Gets my vote. ultra thin is most DEFINATELY not for me in a woman.

I do think it encourages women to be too thin... some anyway...
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the skinny on models?

Originally Posted by franc11s
They've been banned for being too thin...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...els/index.html

Gets my vote. ultra thin is most DEFINATELY not for me in a woman.

I do think it encourages women to be too thin... some anyway...
It's mad that some women think that bone thin is attractive..........
I'm happy with my curves..... look at Marilyn Monroe, a gorgeous gal in a size 14/16 and Bridget Bardoe...... another hot mama....40's 50's pin up girls... that's sexy......
I'm all about the Rubenesque look... I proudly support it
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Whats the skinny on models?

There was an interesting comment in that report from Cathy Gould of the 'Elite' model agency.

My best friend here, an Aussie expat is signed to Elite and earns them a lot of money (they take 20% of her fees) and she is at the top of her profession and earns a fortune.

However.....she isn't a catwalk model but a Fit model and is 39 years old; few catwalk models are still working at that age and she's probably got about 10 years left. Basically clothes that you buy in the stores have to be made to fit 'somebody'. However, the designers can't just use inert dress forms to pin clothes to; they need to see how the material 'gives' as people move in the dress, shirt, trousers etc.

My friend spends her time trekking around the fashion district in NYC, spending 30 mins with one client, an hour with another one etc. but often has to fly up to Boston and every few weeks is in Hong Kong for a week. When the designer is happy with the cut and the 'fit' from a sample of about 1-5 items (and they take into account my friend's comments) then the order goes to Hong Kong, Indonesia, India etc. to make up anything from 100,000 to 500,000 of the dresses, shirts etc.

She is the 'perfect' size 8 for certain clothes manufacturers (we know that all stores tend to differ in range of sizes) - she gave me her model card and it says her statistics are ;

height 5'8", bust 35 1/2", waist 27 1/2", hips 38" and shoe size 9. She has to be weighed and measured every Monday morning. That's hardly skinny is it? Her 'bread and butter' clients include the Gap, American Eagle, Talbots and she often fits for Michael Kors, DKNY etc.

I have just spent yet another fruitless afternoon at our local mall.....I'm too bloody short (5'2") and the petite ranges are always so limited and frumpy.... I keep telling my friend how jealous I am that clothes are made to fit just her and everything looks wonderful on her....lucky so and so!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There was an interesting comment in that report from Cathy Gould of the 'Elite' model agency.

My best friend here, an Aussie expat is signed to Elite and earns them a lot of money (they take 20% of her fees) and she is at the top of her profession and earns a fortune.

However.....she isn't a catwalk model but a Fit model and is 39 years old; few catwalk models are still working at that age and she's probably got about 10 years left. Basically clothes that you buy in the stores have to be made to fit 'somebody'. However, the designers can't just use inert dress forms to pin clothes to; they need to see how the material 'gives' as people move in the dress, shirt, trousers etc.

My friend spends her time trekking around the fashion district in NYC, spending 30 mins with one client, an hour with another one etc. but often has to fly up to Boston and every few weeks is in Hong Kong for a week. When the designer is happy with the cut and the 'fit' from a sample of about 1-5 items (and they take into account my friend's comments) then the order goes to Hong Kong, Indonesia, India etc. to make up anything from 100,000 to 500,000 of the dresses, shirts etc.

She is the 'perfect' size 8 for certain clothes manufacturers (we know that all stores tend to differ in range of sizes) - she gave me her model card and it says her statistics are ;

height 5'8", bust 35 1/2", waist 27 1/2", hips 38" and shoe size 9. She has to be weighed and measured every Monday morning. That's hardly skinny is it? Her 'bread and butter' clients include the Gap, American Eagle, Talbots and she often fits for Michael Kors, DKNY etc.

I have just spent yet another fruitless afternoon at our local mall.....I'm too bloody short (5'2") and the petite ranges are always so limited and frumpy.... I keep telling my friend how jealous I am that clothes are made to fit just her and everything looks wonderful on her....lucky so and so!
That's a job - you are kidding me, right ???
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:45 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Kate Moss advertising something or other, a few days ago, she looked liked she'd plumped up a bit. I'm glad to see stick insects are out.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:54 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Whats the skinny on models?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
That's a job - you are kidding me, right ???
No....it's a real job.....paying $3k per day!!! (approx 71/2 hours a day at that!)

There are a few male fit models, no idea what their sizes are though.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:56 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

No....it's a real job.....paying $3k per day!!! (approx 71/2 hours a day at that!)
3k a day buys some decent food.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:00 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

and her phone number is?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:07 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard it all now, I really have.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:12 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard it all now, I really have.
Yeah almost as bad as playing football one day a week and getting £60,000 a week
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:20 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Thydney
Yeah almost as bad as playing football one day a week and getting £60,000 a week
At least there is a particular skillset required for that - albeit a limited one.
Models in general confuse me as to what they do - they wear clothes - that's it and in this particular case they don't even have to parade them in public so they don't even have to be good looking.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:39 am
Not dead yet

At least there is a particular skillset required for that - albeit a limited one.
Models in general confuse me as to what they do - they wear clothes - that's it and in this particular case they don't even have to parade them in public so they don't even have to be good looking.
There is obviously a skill to it otherwise us two would be able to model more than verucca socks and balaklavas
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:42 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Thydney
There is obviously a skill to it otherwise us two would be able to model more than verucca socks and balaklavas
Speak for yourself.
I suppose catwalk models need to be skilled in snorting charlie, self-induced vomiting and chain smoking.

On an unrelated matter did you know you can buy the UK version of loaded over here - just saw it today - $7.80 but may have to buy it tomorrow for the topless beech shots of a hollyoaks lovely
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:45 am
Not dead yet

Speak for yourself.
I suppose catwalk models need to be skilled in snorting charlie, self-induced vomiting and chain smoking.

On an unrelated matter did you know you can buy the UK version of loaded over here - just saw it today - $7.80 but may have to buy it tomorrow for the topless beech shots of a hollyoaks lovely
pervert!

scan us a copy
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:45 am

Esquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond repute

Speak for yourself.

you can buy the UK FHM from Borders $7...Loaded is chav

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.