Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats the first thing you did when you arrived in America

Whats the first thing you did when you arrived in America

Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question Whats the first thing you did when you arrived in America

I mean apart from kiss the wife/fiance. What did you do in the first few days on arriving to help you settle in to your new country?

I have no transport right now other than buses and taxi's, so I am going to purchase my first bicycle in about 10 years! and I am also going to Best Buy later to look for a new TV for the living room. Other than that, I have a busy "house boy" schedule to keep while I'm an out of work bum
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the first thing you did when you arrived in America

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I mean apart from kiss the wife/fiance. What did you do in the first few days on arriving to help you settle in to your new country?

I have no transport right now other than buses and taxi's, so I am going to purchase my first bicycle in about 10 years! and I am also going to Best Buy later to look for a new TV for the living room. Other than that, I have a busy "house boy" schedule to keep while I'm an out of work bum
One of the first things we (my husband & I) did on arriving in the US was to go out and buy an electric kettle. At this point, we were staying in a Marriott Residence Inn and hadn't even looked at apartments to rent...

NC Penguin
Old Jul 14th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Planning to let my pooch meet her pooch, sniff each other out, then a shower followed by a cold cider, feet up & watch the world series lol.

I gather it can take a while from the wedding till getting the green card. Still will enjoy cooking, anyonr in Va/DC area like a ring-bur ning curry ?

Glad u made it to Az safely Pimbot.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I also hadnt given much thought to buying simple things like deodorant and shower gel. I've been here a ton of times in the past, but of course always bought mine from home for weekly stays. But yesterday I had to go on a new brand search at the grocery store. And no matter how you re-brand it for the American market, I'm still not buying that Axe(Lynx) crap!
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:46 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

First thing I did was get blind drunk.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Smesa is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing I did was get sunburnt after lying in the Florida sun for about 6 hours....totally clueless as to the strength of the sun. Next, rented a car & drove around A LOT just trying to get used to the roads & driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road..........one night ended up downtown in a very undesirable part.......scared %$%$@. Bought lots of water 'cause you can't dring the tap water here...well, you can but it's disgusting, smells like a swimming pool. I also remember drinking a lot of Vodka.................can't remember the rest....
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:15 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

The very first thing I did when I landed was relieve myself of the chicken curry which Air India had served as their in flight meal. It was, umm, too spicy for my delicate stomach
I think I'll stick with BA or American Airlines next time

Other than that, one of the first things I did was take a shower, order PizzaHut & KFC then snuggle up with my babe and watched a video, as I'd been on the road/in the air for nearly 24 hours, and hadn't slept for closer to 36.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Let down my guard. Well I was only 19 and I thought that I would be attacked the moment I got off the plane in the States (believing it to be such a violent country). Three weeks later they had to drag me to the plane (didn't want to leave).
Old Jul 16th 2003, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Sleeeeeeeeep ... lots of it .... after all the stress of the visa process, getting everyone sorted and ready to move it was what I really needed.

Jan
Old Jul 16th 2003, 3:15 am
jester

Same here. But like the Viet Cong, I kept coming back - on average twice a year for 10 years! Finally sold my house in GB and bought one in rural VA cash outright with some to spare. No way am I ever going back to cold, wet, crime ridden, oppressive, taxed-to-death Britain.

God Bless America

Originally posted by TimEh?
Let down my guard. Well I was only 19 and I thought that I would be attacked the moment I got off the plane in the States (believing it to be such a violent country). Three weeks later they had to drag me to the plane (didn't want to leave).

Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Bus and taxi transport in Scottsdale! My heart goes out to you! The only bus I've seen in Scottsdale is the little one that takes people around to the shops.
Glad you're here though. The wife and I have lived in the Phoenix area for almost four years, so we're almost natives.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've heard the bus service sucks around here. My fiance takes it to work almost every day and has nothing but bad words to say about it. I know they just cancelled some routes also which effected her travel.

Gotta love this weather though, it was 103 at 10.30pm last night. Thank god for air conditioning!
Old Jul 20th 2003, 5:02 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, my US hubby moved to the UK to live with me, but the first thing he did was unpack and sort out all his belongings, find a place for his clothes etc. He's very neat and tidy, so I guess he had to do that before he could relax! (NB he'd already kissed and cuddled me at the airport!)
Old Jul 20th 2003, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Sleeeeeeeeep ... lots of it .... after all the stress of the visa process, getting everyone sorted and ready to move it was what I really needed.

Jan

Same here- sleep! My husband had been in the US for 18 months before I agreed to uproot our kids and move out. So I had to deal with everything on the UK end by myself. After sorting the house out for the renters- what to leave for them, what to ship, what to sell....selling the cars- visas (which were being delivered to us in the hotel at Heathrow!)- and all the legalities and general winding up of everything etc etc, plus romping round the country with 3 kids in tow saying goodbye to everyone. I was looking forward the flight out just to be able to sit down for a while, lol. I had just enough energy to unpack the kiddies cases when we arrived in PA- hubby took over the kids, and I climbed into bed and slept for 16 hours solid.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Was met by my brother in law, who took us to church on the way from the airport(!) where I promptly dozed off in the back row (well it sa hell of a long trek from Singapore!). Now I'm not a big churchgoer, but I would normally try to show a little more respect/self control, but my brother in law is Chinese, and attends a chinese chruch, with a chinese pastor preaching in...yep, chinese! Stunning introduction!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.