Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's everyone opinion on the Job Situation?

What's everyone opinion on the Job Situation?

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:08 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default What's everyone opinion on the Job Situation?

Just wondering what peoples views on when things will get better and when organisations will be hiring again.

1 year? 2 Years? 5 years?

I've really want to live in America I already have a US passport but I'm not willing to give up high paying work just to earn 8 dollars an hour working at Maccas. Hopefully things get better!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's everyone opinion on the Job Situation?

I've read elsewhere (in the Atlantic)

The economy now sits in a hole more than 10 million jobs deep—that’s the number required to get back to 5 percent unemployment, the rate we had before the recession started, and one that’s been more or less typical for a generation. And because the population is growing and new people are continually coming onto the job market, we need to produce roughly 1.5 million new jobs a year—about 125,000 a month—just to keep from sinking deeper. Even if the economy were to immediately begin producing 600,000 jobs a month—more than double the pace of the mid-to-late 1990s, when job growth was strong—it would take roughly two years to dig ourselves out of the hole we’re in.

That seems to be typical among the commentators - i.e there is going to be a transitional period which might last until 2012 - 2014; the so called jobless recovery. Hiring should start picking up again next year but it's going to take a long time to get back to normal.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I've read elsewhere (in the Atlantic)

That seems to be typical among the commentators - i.e there is going to be a transitional period which might last until 2012 - 2014; the so called jobless recovery. Hiring should start picking up again next year but it's going to take a long time to get back to normal.
May an economist here can explain this? - We all hear it, all the time....but I don't buy it. The entire world is overspent, overpopulated, and resources are dwindling. We are in unprecedented times - so why, exactly, will hiring just "Start to pick up"? And when you consider the whole capitalist system has only gotten as far as it has on borrowing, debt, booms and busts - why do people think that "normal" is even an option we can get back to? Back to "Normal".....till the next time (but with less resources and more people).

I really really hope it does....but unfortunately, I think we are in for some serious problems, worldwide.

(Sorry OP, bit offtopic on a deep tangent! )
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

People seem to think "normal" is the state we were in for the last 10 years. Hardly representative of all time.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I am personally for jobs. That's my position. I'm not sorry if it offends some of you.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
May an economist here can explain this? - We all hear it, all the time....but I don't buy it. The entire world is overspent, overpopulated, and resources are dwindling. We are in unprecedented times - so why, exactly, will hiring just "Start to pick up"? And when you consider the whole capitalist system has only gotten as far as it has on borrowing, debt, booms and busts - why do people think that "normal" is even an option we can get back to? Back to "Normal".....till the next time (but with less resources and more people).

I really really hope it does....but unfortunately, I think we are in for some serious problems, worldwide.

I have to agree with you, and that's my uneducated view on things. I don't know if we have got to the "sky is falling" scenario yet, but it worries me to see where all of this is going.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

We are in unprecedented times - so why, exactly, will hiring just "Start to pick up"?
Ha, well I see I have met my match as far as pessimism is concerned. Yes we certainly live in unprecedented times, however I would expect hiring to pick up next year as we seem to have had a slowdown rather than a double dip and the economy is still growing - 2% last quarter. You would expect that to continue and firms to start adding to their payrolls. The banks looks to be a lot healthier but the results are still to be felt in the wider economy. Short term it looks like the Fed will today announce more QE which will cause the dollar to plummet further and give a boost to exports.

Long term - well anything could happen. Thats a pretty big pile of debt the West just accumulated.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Overspent? Yes. Overpopulated. Not really. Resources are dwindling? Laughable. Humans find a way to use what we need. Look at aluminum. The most abundant metal in the earth, it once commanded prices higher than platinum, because it was then difficult and expensive to extract.
Not a biggie.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I have to say I am an optomist. I do agree that times are bad and it has been a slow recovery. I have friends here that have been out of work for several months with one being 2 years almost.
I've been here almost 3 months, finding my feet and getting my kids settled and in the last 3 weeks I have had 3 job interviews.
There are some very good networking groups and it has been said that 70% of jobs are never advertised - comes down to that old saying "it's not what you know but who you know" as someone else I know says "People hire people".
So many companies now only accept applications online and I know job seekers can become isolated just sitting at a computer all day applying. The key is to network and put a face and a voice to your resume.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Well with sweeping gains by the Republicans in the mid terms, I would expect everything to be fixed by about lunchtime.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
People seem to think "normal" is the state we were in for the last 10 years. Hardly representative of all time.
Trouble is, though, it's not just the last 10 years, is it.....bust'n'boom economics have been around a lot longer than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

At some point, the whole system is going to come an almighty cropper - it already has, on past worst occasions, but the groundwork is laid these days for the biggest one ever.

Been watching a lot of 2012 programs on History and Discovery lately, me.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Well with sweeping gains by the Republicans in the mid terms, I would expect everything to be fixed by about lunchtime.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:01 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
That's what the Colbert Report said yesterday - everything will be fixed immediately and there will be no need for any more elections, ever.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I am personally for jobs. That's my position. I'm not sorry if it offends some of you.
even if it's kids in mills?

which is more indicitive of most of our modern history than not.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Personally believe we will be at around 10% (True figure 18%), forever. Or eventually going higher.
Companies, that had 100,000 employees, got rid of 10,000 - 20,000, now make more profit. Remaining workforce, running around like blue arse flies, scared of losing their jobs.

Companies, with 10 employees, got rid of 3-4, now surviving & or making more profit. Remaining workforce, running around like blue arse flies, scared of losing their jobs.

Every worker I speak to, from fortune 500 companies to small business, are working harder, longer hours for same or less pay. Hospitals are laying off managers & making those that stay take over more departments. No extra pay.

Wifes hospital, we came back from our UK trip, 4 managers, gone. Her dept, 2 left, not replaced.
Son, working for very big corp (One year contract), he can claim overtime, at least 1.5-2 hours a day, he doesn't. Says "None of the others are". Hoping this may help him to get offered full time job, at end of contract. Trouble is, 10 others he works with are doing the same.

I think workers rights (I have been self employed, a boss, an owner for almost all my working life, 43 years), have gone back 60 years or more.

Republicans, are already saying they want to break down, dismantle unions.

May sound crappy, but I believe thats where, the employees are.

Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.