Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's cheap in the US & what's not compare to UK- share your thoughts

What's cheap in the US & what's not compare to UK- share your thoughts

Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:11 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's cheap in the US & what's not compare to UK- share your thoughts

Originally Posted by lansbury
Didn't say cheaper, I said easier. It is much easier to do a lot of these jobs yourself. Removing a wooden stud wall, is a lot easier then removing a brick built one. People like plumbers and electricians charge way more here than in the UK, which is why construction work is expensive. If you are paying more to have things like a patio laid you haven't connected with the right landscaping company yet. (Mexican landscapers are very good and charge a reasonable price )
I just meant that considering it's often easier, it's bloody expensive.
I should ask my gardener about laying my patio - I hadn't thought of him. I get him to do all kinds of other stuff for me, he's good and very reasonable!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's cheap in the US & what's not compare to UK- share your thoughts

Just moved to OK for six weeks, here is my list so far:

Cheaper than UK
Gas - we pay about $60 for 18 gallons in OK. That is far cheaper thank UK.
Certain brands of food and household item.
Generic brand prescriptions if you don't take into account of medical insurance monthly costs.
Certain procedures - just had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out under 100% coverage of our dental plan.
House price - we can't buy yet but for the same price, you certainly get a much bigger house than UK.

More expensive than UK
Car insurance - just get quoted for nearly $300 per month for two cars. That is far more expensive than UK.
Kids classes - I am paying twice the fees I paid in UK for dancing, swimming class etc for the girls.
Cable cost - again we are paying twice as we paid for Virgin in UK for cable/telephone/Internet package.
Used cars - US used cars seem to be dropping price far slower than UK equivalent.
House rent - we are paying a fortune for the rent every month. But also can't get out of the situation until we decide to stay in US.
Household appliances - they tend to be bigger in size comparing to UK. I guess that counts for the increase in price.

And many more of course. Despite some of my American friends kept telling me that it was cheaper in terms of living costs in US. So far I found the opposite.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

In my travels to and from and my family moving here, I would say:

1$ = 1 L

Based on your income this could be good or bad.

My in laws were shocked how cheap the following were:
Gas
Beef (meat in general)
Food in general
Major appliances
Seeing a private doctor
Owning a TV (No License)
Car prices

Their opposite was:
Cost of Hospital stays
Auto Insurance
Property Taxes
Various local / state taxes which they did not understand
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saffysmom
Petrol- cheaper by far here in usa than uk , uk £3.40 for a litre
I assume you mean gallon

Most people look at the price and compare, but usually they are not comparing apples for apples, yes the price in the US is less than the UK but (and I realize everyone has different circumstances) people in the US tend to drive further than those in the UK, my mum in the UK had a 12 mile round trip commute to work and my dad 3 miles (my dad would walk it when he work days and the weather was nice), we rode the bus to school. Here I have a 30 commute, my kids have to be driven to school.

Public transport is a more available option in the UK.

Cars in the US are often bigger and guzzle more gas.

Everything here is more spread out, walking to the store (or anywhere for that matter) is often not an option.

So yes gas/petrol is cheaper here but if you have a car that consumes more petrol and you drive twice as far is it really that much cheaper?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

Cars in the US are often bigger and guzzle more gas.

Everything here is more spread out, walking to the store (or anywhere for that matter) is often not an option.

So yes gas/petrol is cheaper here but if you have a car that consumes more petrol and you drive twice as far is it really that much cheaper?
Completely agree. My first rental car in OK did 18 mpg, and that was considered efficient! Even my old 2005 civic in UK easily does 35 mpg in city.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:53 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely doesn't apply to the whole US, $2500 a month for a house? If I spent that much around here it would take me a day to walk from one end to the other.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Definitely doesn't apply to the whole US, $2500 a month for a house? If I spent that much around here it would take me a day to walk from one end to the other.
Indeed....and in some places, it wouldn't even get you a small apartment. Crazy ain't it.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:39 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saffysmom
Just spent 8 weeks in California looking for houses , schools , cars etc
Is it just me but I found it cheap in some areas expensive in others

Back in the day US was cheaper thAn England not sure if it dollar rate is low, food shortage , recession ,,,,,

Here's my comparison
Food [/B]found it to be more than England my full weekly tesco shop is £60 for 3 of us , usa $ 150 excluding my meat
Tipping - I've been tipping everywhere here in California , in Uk I don't bother only when fine dining
Schools - private in uk £2700 for year , USA $12,000 kindergarten
Health care - free nhs , usa private $1000 monthly
Clothes - usa has outlets shops so I find it cheaper here , uk more expensive
Rentals- UK , you can rent a house in my area for £1000 month ,usa it's $2500 if something small like a townhouse excluding utilities
Petrol- cheaper by far here in usa than uk , uk £3.40 for a litre
Restaurants - found to be about the same , better selection and choice in America
Car- not sure about America is don't have car , uk monthly payment is £280
Mobile phones - uk is £60 for monthly contract , I believe America has better rates than uk
Haircuts - pay £30 for cut , usa-$35 plus tip so slightly cheaper here ( it bothers me when they include 20% tip already) I'm heaping tipping 12% but get no choice

What's everyone else's view , how are they finding America , my prices are based on living in Cheshire and moving to San Diego
I think phones here in the US are extortionate. I've had cell phones in the UK, Australia, Spain and the US and the US is the only place I get charged for incoming calls and texts. The deals in the UK used to be (I've been gone a good few years now) used to be much more reasonable.

As for hair cuts. It depends on where you go. Even supercuts here is $40 and anytime I've tried them they screw my hair up.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I assume you mean gallon. .....
I'm not sure what she means. Petrol is currently around £1.35/litre, so about £5/US gal, or $7.50ish/US gal.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I think phones here in the US are extortionate. I've had cell phones in the UK, Australia, Spain and the US and the US is the only place I get charged for incoming calls and texts. The deals in the UK used to be (I've been gone a good few years now) used to be much more reasonable.
This has been discussed from time to time. Many Americans are outraged by the fact that the CALLER has to pay more to call a mobile while in the US, it doesn't matter.

This is related to the historical facts that in the US, mobiles started out as an adjunct to the land-line system. Think of the wireless phones used in homes now with only the base station being plugged into the wall. So the charge was for "air time" and not the phone call per se.

I still find it strange that the area code no longer really indicates where the phone might be. [One of my offspring lives in 315/585 area code but still has a 626 area code on her mobile]. But then it is nice to keep a number even when moving.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Is produce cheaper in the UK? I don't think my friend in the UK gets how much higher produce is compared to cheap meat here.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not sure what she means. Petrol is currently around £1.35/litre, so about £5/US gal, or $7.50ish/US gal.
US prices vary dramatically -- compare Los Angeles with New Jersey -- a .70 difference.

Also, "regular" gasoline in the UK/Europe is "Premium" in the US. The NY Times had an article the other day that Ethanol is used to boost octane and there is a GLUT of ethanol has cause the price of premium to go UP compared to regular. I have not figured that one out.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
US prices vary dramatically -- compare Los Angeles with New Jersey -- a .70 difference.

Also, "regular" gasoline in the UK/Europe is "Premium" in the US. The NY Times had an article the other day that Ethanol is used to boost octane and there is a GLUT of ethanol has cause the price of premium to go UP compared to regular. I have not figured that one out.
I think you're more confused than she is- she quoted a pound sterling price for a litre, which, perhaps mistakenly, I assumed meant that she was talking about the price of petrol in the UK. Given the number she used I am now thinking she meant dollars/gal US.

I am well aware of the price variance across parts of the US. So far as the regular-premium price differential goes, I think that is a correction that is long overdue. Back in 2000 gas was around $1/gallon in VA (and I paid less on several occasions), and premium was 20¢ more, but that differential remained at 20¢ while the price climbed to over $4. Of course some of the discrepancy is caused by tax, but I have long expected to see the price difference to move to around 40¢-50¢.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Electricity is a lot cheaper.

There are well built houses, or have one built.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:01 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Not sure where some of you are coming from with cellphone pricing. We pay $130/month for two LTE smartphones on Sprint. Verizon and ATT are slightly higher. This seems comparable to what is quoted in the UK. Also, its worth noting that LTE is still rare in the UK.

Also, no one actually uses minutes anymore. Its all about data usage now. We have 1500 a month between the two of us and we never go higher than 500.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.