Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats the best movie you ever saw?

Whats the best movie you ever saw?

Old Dec 29th 2004, 3:15 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Re: Whats the best movie you ever saw?

I loved the Green Mile, although on reflection, it was a rather manipulative film, making the warden as evily depicted as possible to capture emotion.....

Lol - when it came out i thought Titanic was brill, that got me very emotional - probably somewhat to do with thinking it really happened, and what it must have been like to endure that.....

Kill Bills are brill, The Game with Michael Douglas, Pay it Forward was exc too - I rate Spacey very highly......

could go on for ages

star wars, aliens etc
Old Dec 29th 2004, 3:41 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Monty Pythons Life Of Brian , the funniest film ever made.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:11 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Shawshank Redemption
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Northwest Passage
School for Scoundrels
Old Dec 29th 2004, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Shawshank Redemption
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Northwest Passage
School for Scoundrels
I agree Shawshank Redemption is the best movie made in the last 10 years, should have won an oscar but it was up against Forrest Gump. In the early fifties my parents took me every Friday night to the movies, I usually fell asleep but one movie that held my attention was The Sundowners, starring Robert Mitcham and Debra Kerr, would love to see it again.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

The Girl Can't Help It was a typical 50's Rock n Roll film, crap plot, but with Jayne Mansfield and some of the all time greats in it who cared about a plot ?

Loved the Ladykillers too, the original with Alec Guiness not the shit remake with Tom Hanks.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Shadowlands, yes I did a yahoo search and now I remember watching the movie on TV in the UK, good movie.

I have been moved by other movies (Schindler list, the champ,Remember the titans, a time to kill) but nothing like the passion, I really felt so guilty of myself complaining about life sometimes and losing track of what someone did for me way before even my great grand parents were concieved. Look at Tsunami, how things like that occur in the world and people like me are not affected by it and several people are hit by it. The passion really bought home the visuals of it all, (The flogging, the nails been hammered in his palms, the beating, the temptation of serpent) the bible give a detailed story but it is not visual etc.

As for the special edition, you will have to wait awhile, like all good movies they take time to gather all the extra material. e.g deleted scenes, new re shot footage, extra script changes etc. Since this was such a big movie and it had such a big impact on people there will be a lot of extras added to it. Plus see how well it does at the academy awards as well.

Any one seen 8 heads in a duffle bag?
Funny yet strange movie!

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I think The Passion was the only film I've ever seen whereby the entire cinema audience was crying - including myself. The only other film where thats happened is when I went to see Shadowlands - has anyone else seen that? Its excellent, very moving and, like the Passion, based on a ture story.
When is the special edition of the Passion coming out - do you have any idea? I thought it'd be out of Christmas but it wasn't.

Last edited by veryfunny; Dec 29th 2004 at 5:27 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Tom Hanks one and was dead crap, I may have seen the original but problaby too young at the time to appreciate it, I better go online to netflix to order it. THX.

Last edited by veryfunny; Dec 29th 2004 at 5:32 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Thuban is an unknown quantity at this point

The Gods Must Be Crazy had so much to say and such a wimsical way to say it!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
One of the best movies I ever saw was The green Mile starring Tom Hanks... I cried for about 15 mins solid at the end of that. Another one I found extremely touching was Schindlers List

Whats yours?

Ash
The Big Blue

Directors cut...amazing undersea photography and a typical gallic unhappy ending.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
<<snip>>

Kill Bills are brill, The Game with Michael Douglas, Pay it Forward was exc too - I rate Spacey very highly......

could go on for ages

star wars, aliens etc
I agree that Kevin Spacey is a highly talented actor and director but Pay It Foward (the book was better than the movie, for sure) is far from his best movie performance. Hurlyburly, Seven and LA Confidential are far better examples of his talent and breadth of expertise in his craft.

Also, his skills at singing and dancing are underrated (check out the soundtrack to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and him hosting the Tribute to Lennon DVD) but these are showcased in his latest effort, the Bobby Darin movie, Beyond the Sea.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:23 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Monty Pythons Life Of Brian , the funniest film ever made.
Not seen Brian (wasn't this supposed to be rereleased this year?) but for me, one of the funniest movies of all time has to be This is Spinal Tap...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I agree that Kevin Spacey is a highly talented actor and director but Pay It Foward (the book was better than the movie, for sure) is far from his best movie performance. Hurlyburly, Seven and LA Confidential are far better examples of his talent and breadth of expertise in his craft.

Also, his skills at singing and dancing are underrated (check out the soundtrack to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and him hosting the Tribute to Lennon DVD)...
Garden was a good movie too....and him in the Usual Suspects...and also pretty good in Life of David Gale, and also Q-pax
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:11 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by callë
Lord of the Rings... undoubtedly. A whole world that Tolkien created, down to every detail. even the history. A brilliant man. And P Jackson did a superb job casting for the films.
Yep. Just got done with watching all four hours of the extended Return of the King. They still missed a load out...
Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adeshell
Yep. Just got done with watching all four hours of the extended Return of the King. They still missed a load out...
blimey...the extra bits good then?
Saw the unrated extended king arthur and that was cool...lots of blood and violence
Old Dec 30th 2004, 4:05 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
blimey...the extra bits good then?
Saw the unrated extended king arthur and that was cool...lots of blood and violence
Not to forget Keira Knightly....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.