British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's it all about? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-all-about-413433/)

franc11s Dec 13th 2006 1:45 pm

What's it all about?

Probably been mentioned before but I wanted to rant on a few things that seem to have been more obivouus to me and my other half lately...

Like going into a candle store and someone asks if they can help you. What the heck? Are you supposed to respond with "yes, I'm looking for some cheese!!!!".... what's it all about...

And when you do get asked in any store if you need help, and you REALLY do need help, the person gives you a blank stare cause they don't really know the answer to anything!! What's it all about...

Like I'm sitting at a table 30 feet away from 2 women talking who are sitting right next to each other and YET, I can hear every friggin word they say.... !! What's it all about?

Hershey's chocoloate taste's like puke and yet every American seems to love it!!

Why do American women have to wear a sweater to represent the time of the year (Halloween and now Christmas). Don't these women know a Christmas "cardigan" on a 30 year old attractive women is about as attractive as dogs earwax!

Any more?

Triumphrob Dec 13th 2006 2:04 pm

Re: What's it all about?

The one I like is when you check out at the register, and they ask you "Did you find everything OK?" and if you reply "Couldn't find a thing" they just stare blankly at you. All good fun really..

anotherlimey Dec 13th 2006 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
Probably been mentioned before but I wanted to rant on a few things that seem to have been more obivouus to me and my other half lately...

Like going into a candle store and someone asks if they can help you. What the heck? Are you supposed to respond with "yes, I'm looking for some cheese!!!!".... what's it all about...

They may just want to help you find the "right" candle!

And when you do get asked in any store if you need help, and you REALLY do need help, the person gives you a blank stare cause they don't really know the answer to anything!! What's it all about...

Like I'm sitting at a table 30 feet away from 2 women talking who are sitting right next to each other and YET, I can hear every friggin word they say.... !! What's it all about?

Hershey's chocoloate taste's like puke and yet every American seems to love it!!

Why do American women have to wear a sweater to represent the time of the year (Halloween and now Christmas). Don't these women know a Christmas "cardigan" on a 30 year old attractive women is about as attractive as dogs earwax!

Any more?

Just move to Miami, you'll never get asked if you need help again - at least if you and the assistant are both male.

britvic Dec 13th 2006 3:58 pm

LOL Luv it :D Karma indeed.

Silly Sod Dec 13th 2006 4:00 pm

Any more?

Well, if they dont paste on a smile, even if they feel like shite, and say - hi, can I help? Did you find everything okay? Can I suck your duck please? They prolly get fired. It is better than going into a store in England and being ignored by the staff until they finish their conversation about who got pissed and puked up on saturday night. Regarding the jumpers - yes, silly americans, bless em.

Scouse Express Dec 13th 2006 5:01 pm

Any more?

Give them the Billy Connolly response;

"Yeah - You look around, and I'll f*****g wait here!"

Jim.

Old William Dec 13th 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Well, if they dont paste on a smile, even if they feel like shite, and say - hi, can I help? Did you find everything okay? Can I suck your duck please? They prolly get fired. It is better than going into a store in England and being ignored by the staff until they finish their conversation about who got pissed and puked up on saturday night. Regarding the jumpers - yes, silly americans, bless em.

I dont get this sterotype about British sales assistants being surly and ignoring you... I never see it. Sure they dont leap on you with a toothy grin the second you walk in the door but I always find them pleasent and helpful when needed and mostly willing to share a joke and have a laugh...something you cant do with Yank shop assistants so much. Maybe it's my jocular demeanour with them that means they arent surly back?

Triumphrob Dec 13th 2006 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Old William
I dont get this sterotype about British sales assistants being surly and ignoring you... I never see it. Sure they dont leap on you with a toothy grin the second you walk in the door but I always find them pleasent and helpful when needed and mostly willing to share a joke and have a laugh...something you cant do with Yank shop assistants so much. Maybe it's my jocular demeanour with them that means they arent surly back?

I totally agree with you. I just got back from England and was treated well be shop assistants, Train Guards, barman and the like. Sure beats the "Robot Talk" we get here!
Rob

AmerLisa Dec 13th 2006 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Old William
Maybe it's my jocular demeanour with them that means they arent surly back?

That would be my guess.....

Irn-bru Dec 13th 2006 6:15 pm

A lot of americans decorate their homes for the seasons. I have now got into it (different placemats, wreaths for the door ), and somehow they think it's carrying it on if they wear horrible themed sweaters. Thankfully I haven't gone down that road!
Don't you find the British do it as well, especially at Christmas? Those horrible santa jumpers and ear-rings!

TruBrit Dec 13th 2006 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Those horrible santa jumpers and ear-rings!

makes a change from wearing me scrubs :p

Irn-bru Dec 13th 2006 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
makes a change from wearing me scrubs :p

you don't :eek:
what do you do (your work)? :)

TruBrit Dec 13th 2006 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
you don't :eek:
what do you do (your work)? :)

lol it was a joke a while back as lots around here seem to shop in their scrubs and hang their stethoscopes on the rear view mirror :p

Irn-bru Dec 13th 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol it was a joke a while back as lots around here seem to shop in their scrubs and hang their stethoscopes on the rear view mirror :p

:) so you're a nurse?

Hiro11 Dec 13th 2006 6:51 pm

Not this American. Hershey's is indeed total crap.