Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's it all about?

What's it all about?

Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:45 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's it all about?

Probably been mentioned before but I wanted to rant on a few things that seem to have been more obivouus to me and my other half lately...

Like going into a candle store and someone asks if they can help you. What the heck? Are you supposed to respond with "yes, I'm looking for some cheese!!!!".... what's it all about...

And when you do get asked in any store if you need help, and you REALLY do need help, the person gives you a blank stare cause they don't really know the answer to anything!! What's it all about...

Like I'm sitting at a table 30 feet away from 2 women talking who are sitting right next to each other and YET, I can hear every friggin word they say.... !! What's it all about?

Hershey's chocoloate taste's like puke and yet every American seems to love it!!

Why do American women have to wear a sweater to represent the time of the year (Halloween and now Christmas). Don't these women know a Christmas "cardigan" on a 30 year old attractive women is about as attractive as dogs earwax!

Any more?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:04 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it all about?

The one I like is when you check out at the register, and they ask you "Did you find everything OK?" and if you reply "Couldn't find a thing" they just stare blankly at you. All good fun really..
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Probably been mentioned before but I wanted to rant on a few things that seem to have been more obivouus to me and my other half lately...

Like going into a candle store and someone asks if they can help you. What the heck? Are you supposed to respond with "yes, I'm looking for some cheese!!!!".... what's it all about...
They may just want to help you find the "right" candle!

And when you do get asked in any store if you need help, and you REALLY do need help, the person gives you a blank stare cause they don't really know the answer to anything!! What's it all about...

Like I'm sitting at a table 30 feet away from 2 women talking who are sitting right next to each other and YET, I can hear every friggin word they say.... !! What's it all about?

Hershey's chocoloate taste's like puke and yet every American seems to love it!!

Why do American women have to wear a sweater to represent the time of the year (Halloween and now Christmas). Don't these women know a Christmas "cardigan" on a 30 year old attractive women is about as attractive as dogs earwax!

Any more?
Just move to Miami, you'll never get asked if you need help again - at least if you and the assistant are both male.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Luv it Karma indeed.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:00 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Any more?
Well, if they dont paste on a smile, even if they feel like shite, and say - hi, can I help? Did you find everything okay? Can I suck your duck please? They prolly get fired. It is better than going into a store in England and being ignored by the staff until they finish their conversation about who got pissed and puked up on saturday night. Regarding the jumpers - yes, silly americans, bless em.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Any more?
Give them the Billy Connolly response;

"Yeah - You look around, and I'll f*****g wait here!"

Jim.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:02 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Well, if they dont paste on a smile, even if they feel like shite, and say - hi, can I help? Did you find everything okay? Can I suck your duck please? They prolly get fired. It is better than going into a store in England and being ignored by the staff until they finish their conversation about who got pissed and puked up on saturday night. Regarding the jumpers - yes, silly americans, bless em.
I dont get this sterotype about British sales assistants being surly and ignoring you... I never see it. Sure they dont leap on you with a toothy grin the second you walk in the door but I always find them pleasent and helpful when needed and mostly willing to share a joke and have a laugh...something you cant do with Yank shop assistants so much. Maybe it's my jocular demeanour with them that means they arent surly back?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:17 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
I dont get this sterotype about British sales assistants being surly and ignoring you... I never see it. Sure they dont leap on you with a toothy grin the second you walk in the door but I always find them pleasent and helpful when needed and mostly willing to share a joke and have a laugh...something you cant do with Yank shop assistants so much. Maybe it's my jocular demeanour with them that means they arent surly back?
I totally agree with you. I just got back from England and was treated well be shop assistants, Train Guards, barman and the like. Sure beats the "Robot Talk" we get here!
Rob
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Maybe it's my jocular demeanour with them that means they arent surly back?
That would be my guess.....
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:15 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of americans decorate their homes for the seasons. I have now got into it (different placemats, wreaths for the door ), and somehow they think it's carrying it on if they wear horrible themed sweaters. Thankfully I haven't gone down that road!
Don't you find the British do it as well, especially at Christmas? Those horrible santa jumpers and ear-rings!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Those horrible santa jumpers and ear-rings!
makes a change from wearing me scrubs
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:40 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
makes a change from wearing me scrubs
you don't
what do you do (your work)?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
you don't
what do you do (your work)?

lol it was a joke a while back as lots around here seem to shop in their scrubs and hang their stethoscopes on the rear view mirror
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol it was a joke a while back as lots around here seem to shop in their scrubs and hang their stethoscopes on the rear view mirror
so you're a nurse?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:51 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Not this American. Hershey's is indeed total crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.