Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's this about Home Depot??

Wikiposts

What's this about Home Depot??

Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's this about Home Depot??

You don't live in Plano, by any chance?

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I would've thought home depot was perfectly suited to down here to be honest. A million identical strip malls surrouded by a million identical homes and condos all surrounded by identical palms.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:54 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I would've thought home depot was perfectly suited to down here to be honest. A million identical strip malls surrouded by a million identical homes and condos all surrounded by identical palms.
We went to look at a few new homes in Orlando a few weeks ago............all the palms were planted the same in every homes...........it was more than a little scary............. :scared:
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:56 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You missed them by a few years.

Also big boxers like HD and Wally World are trying to serve all of the US with the same goods, which aren't appropriate for local tastes or even needs. They should be charged, for example, for grievous bodily harm to plants, cos they sell the same ones round the country who are destined to die in some of the climates they go into. They aren't flexible enough to truly serve the unique and individual communities they steal business and jobs from.

Man, I'm going to be in a "***** off ye bastards" mood today if I don't stop now.
Without getting into the whole Wally World is an evil empire discussion, and just talking about HD, that's not entirely true, they do cater for the location they are in, because building techniques vary around the States, they tend to stock materials pertinent to that area, you won't find the same stuff in CA or AZ as you do in NY or Chicago. As for the mom and pop stores, granted it would be nice if they still offered a 'family' run and knowledgeable service, which is lacking in HD and Lowes (you pay peanuts, you get monkies), unfortunately at the end of the day, whether I like it or not, the big stores are cheaper and have more selection, the bottom line is more profit for me. A little Cuthroat I know, but welcome to the world

Last edited by gruffbrown; Oct 7th 2005 at 6:15 am. Reason: Oooh that sounded very American didn't it......help meeeee :-)
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:11 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Nope, near Miami. Funnily enough all our Palm Trees are imported and so are our beaches.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:17 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
When it comes to stories like this one, I have my eyes and ears closed.

I saw this article on CNN's Web site:

Home Depot film out of the box

What the heck is this about??

Is it Miami residents feeling too superior for a Home Depot store or does it run much deeper than that?

Not heard about this one before.
The missus is originally from Miami and she tells me that Coconut Grove is a really posh upmarket area. It is a case of a big box store going in and creating an eyesore to the area.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
huh? we are still talking about the U.S aren't we....what mom & pop stores? I don't think I've seen a small grocery store in the 9 years I've been here
We have quite a few small stores but they only sell Chinese products.

There is one family owned grocery store nearby, I went in there once but the food was the cheapest, nastiest stuff you can imagine ... most of it was past its sell by date and was way overpriced!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Damn, I tried to karma you but must spread.....

you're going to get lumped in with me in the anti-Plano loony bin.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
As for the mom and pop stores, granted it would be nice if they still offered a 'family' run and knowledgeable service, which is lacking in HD and Lowes (you pay peanuts, you get monkies), unfortunately at the end of the day, whether I like it or not, the big stores are cheaper and have more selection, the bottom line is more profit for me. A little Cuthroat I know, but welcome to the world
Gruff, if you is ever down this way, I'll take you to Breed & Company to the hardware section. The posh section is offputting but the hardware guys know their stuff inside and out. I've never been able to get an answer out of HD "ass-ociates" -- you go there knowing what you need to buy. DIY doesn't mean you know everything about HOW to DIY.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:47 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Gruff, if you is ever down this way, I'll take you to Breed & Company to the hardware section. The posh section is offputting but the hardware guys know their stuff inside and out. I've never been able to get an answer out of HD "ass-ociates" -- you go there knowing what you need to buy. DIY doesn't mean you know everything about HOW to DIY.
True, you can't beat a small store for the knowledge, it's purely a questions of numbers at the end of the day, if I save 10% on 2-3ks worth of material a month, I'm going to Home Depot, if you're only buying a widget and don't know what it does, then I agree a local hardware store is best.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

oo - so whats with the anti-plano brigade - went there once by mistake....i think!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
True, you can't beat a small store for the knowledge, it's purely a questions of numbers at the end of the day, if I save 10% on 2-3ks worth of material a month, I'm going to Home Depot, if you're only buying a widget and don't know what it does, then I agree a local hardware store is best.
You can save 10% at both Home Depot and Lowes by getting their Moving vouchers, see their web site. Also they usually have flyers in the Moving packets that you can pick up at the Post Office. They accept each others vouchers as well.

Handy if you have any major purchases coming up.

The technical term for the 'associates' that work at HD is The Borg. However I have always found them helpful and in most cases I have been able to find somebody who knows what they are talking about. But compared to B&Q that would not exactly be difficult.

The other cheapy source particularly for tools is Harbour Freight, they always have offers. Cheap and Chinese and you have to be careful, but a lot of it is OK. Sign up for their flyer.

I think that was one of my major shock points coming to the US, DIY stores whose staff did not speak English as a second language, I found the constant 'can I help you' very disconcerting. and the fact that often they could.

That and going to a Chinese restaurant where none of the visible staff was Chinese, there must be an exemption in the UK to allow discrimination in employment practices.

PS Boulder is getting a HD, after a lot of debate. Wallyworld, no chance.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I lived there once, for a short while, for my sins.

The best view of Plano is ... in your rear view mirror.

Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
I thought it was the same as B&Q - same colour scheme and products - didnt they buy B&Q a few years back and it changed from red to orange?
I seem to remember reading some business magazine article that B&Q simply ripped off the whole HD business model including store/brand design. Kingfisher owns B&Q - There were rumours of a sale to HD earlier this year but I don't think anything happened.

I've usually found their associates pretty helpful but I do find DIY-related terminology one of the biggest differences between American and "proper" English.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philgr
I've usually found their associates pretty helpful but I do find DIY-related terminology one of the biggest differences between American and "proper" English.

I went to buy a pressure washer, electric. I was a bit jet lagged and was asked if I wanted a Gas one, total confusion as to how you could operated one with a gas cylinder.

And do not mention faucets.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Oct 7th 2005 at 9:12 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr

spackle - always brings a smile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.