Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

Originally Posted by Sue
As many of you know Paul and I are both British so we don't do the traditional Thanksgiving day. We used to get invited to peoples houses, as they felt sorry for us and didn't like to think of us with no family around us on the big day. But often we would go and have to spend the day with strangers, as we did not know their extended families, and quite often it felt very uncomfortable and we couldn't wait to leave. So we stopped accepting invitations and started our own tradition. We laze about in the morning watching the Thanksgiving parade on TV and then in the afternoon we go to the movies together. Generally the cinema is deserted and quite often we've had the film we are watching all to ourselves. We then come home and eat a curry that we got the night before from the local India restaurant and I just heat it up. It's a great day for us as we get to spend some quiet time together as a family, and we don't have the hassle of having to cook a big dinner, or entertain people.

So that's our "tradition" on Thanksgiving Day. What's yours?
Thanksgiving in the north east of England - complete with snow as it has just started snowing heavily. Next year Thanksgiving as a married woman in Eureka --fingers crossed!!!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
As many of you know Paul and I are both British so we don't do the traditional Thanksgiving day. We used to get invited to peoples houses, as they felt sorry for us and didn't like to think of us with no family around us on the big day. But often we would go and have to spend the day with strangers, as we did not know their extended families, and quite often it felt very uncomfortable and we couldn't wait to leave. So we stopped accepting invitations and started our own tradition. We laze about in the morning watching the Thanksgiving parade on TV and then in the afternoon we go to the movies together. Generally the cinema is deserted and quite often we've had the film we are watching all to ourselves. We then come home and eat a curry that we got the night before from the local India restaurant and I just heat it up. It's a great day for us as we get to spend some quiet time together as a family, and we don't have the hassle of having to cook a big dinner, or entertain people.

So that's our "tradition" on Thanksgiving Day. What's yours?
You have me worried now Sue.

This is our 3rd TG, the 1st year we were in Yosemite and had a TG buffet dinner in the hotel, last year we were getting ready for the in-laws coming over so spent TG cleaning and this year we hadn't made any plans at all.

Yesterday we got an email from the mum of the little one's new best friend at school inviting us for dinner. As we are determined to make new friends here so we said what the heck and accepted. We have only met the mum once, she seemed very nice. Never met the husband and they have 2 older kids. No extended family going apparantly.

When I asked what I could take, dessert, wine.... She said wine That either means they think like us and like a good drink, or they are tea-total and won't have any in so we have to take our own.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:54 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You have me worried now Sue.

This is our 3rd TG, the 1st year we were in Yosemite and had a TG buffet dinner in the hotel, last year we were getting ready for the in-laws coming over so spent TG cleaning and this year we hadn't made any plans at all.

Yesterday we got an email from the mum of the little one's new best friend at school inviting us for dinner. As we are determined to make new friends here so we said what the heck and accepted. We have only met the mum once, she seemed very nice. Never met the husband and they have 2 older kids. No extended family going apparantly.

When I asked what I could take, dessert, wine.... She said wine That either means they think like us and like a good drink, or they are tea-total and won't have any in so we have to take our own.
Hey, I bet you have a great time. Meeting new people is always a good thing.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:48 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noxreallyxhonest
thanks all of you, i feel a bit better about it....
if i have a problem can i get a recipe from one of you guys??
Thanks
try this, they're fool proof

Huge Yorkshire Puddings

1/2 pint (285 millilitres) milk
4 ounces (115 grams) all-purpose flour
Pinch salt
3 eggs
Vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Mix the batter ingredients together. Let rest for 10 minutes
Preheat a Yorkshire pudding tray or muffin tin with 1/2-inch (1 centimetre) of oil in each section. After the 10 minutes divide the batter into the tray. Cook for around 15 to 20 minutes until crisp and puffy, don't open the oven door before then or they won't rise.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

noxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to all

Hey!! thanks i made these today, i was so pleased when they worked.....
Hubby thought they tasted like bread
but i thought they were very good

Attached Thumbnails What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?-tg2010.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

Well done, they look like great yorkshires.
Our Whole Foods dinner was actually rather good, I'd do that again.
And so pleased to see all the Yorkshire folk and visitors
Happy Thanksgiving everyone x
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:41 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Hey, I bet you have a great time. Meeting new people is always a good thing.
Well we are back home after a lovely day, the mums sister and husband flew in from Indiana last minute so there were 6 adults 2 teens and 2 kids. Wine and conversation flowed easily and the food was good. A truly great day
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Well we are back home after a lovely day, the mums sister and husband flew in from Indiana last minute so there were 6 adults 2 teens and 2 kids. Wine and conversation flowed easily and the food was good. A truly great day
Glad you had fun!

We had a very good, very quiet day. Just the two of us lounging around, ate a very tasty roasted chicken with all the veggies and roast 'taters, watched some movies and took some naps. Just the kind of Thanksgiving Day I like and we are going to stretch it out until Monday. No work until Tuesday..yay!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter and I managed to successfully put on the poor mouth act and mooched a free meal off some very good friends of ours. Hot dogs were the backup plan.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Daughter and I managed to successfully put on the poor mouth act and mooched a free meal off some very good friends of ours. Hot dogs were the backup plan.
Nicely done!

Had I known you were in need of a meal you could have swung down to our gaffe, we had way too much turkey. There's still a bunch left over and the son and I had a pile for lunch today.

Bloody good to, the mrs excelled herself this year . . .
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Great Thanksgiving.

Six people, two don't drink, five empty bottles of wine.

food was great to
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:11 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a great day, my Roast Turkey was very yummy if I do say so myself, it was nice to have some friends over to share it with!

Today we made soup with our leftovers... it is DH's Dads secret recipe, we just has soup and bacon sarnies for dinner, and have enough for lunch tomorrow and also some stock to freeze for future soupage!!

I love not wasting leftovers!!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Nicely done!

Had I known you were in need of a meal you could have swung down to our gaffe, we had way too much turkey. There's still a bunch left over and the son and I had a pile for lunch today.

Bloody good to, the mrs excelled herself this year . . .
I know you are sincere and I appreciate the gesture. Many thanks.

PS - I promise I would've been on my best behaviour, so no need to count the spoons after we left.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
I know you are sincere and I appreciate the gesture. Many thanks.

PS - I promise I would've been on my best behaviour, so no need to count the spoons after we left.
You're welcome.

Our son is always losing spoons in his room for some reason - you could have stolen a bunch and I'd never notice
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You're welcome.

Our son is always losing spoons in his room for some reason - you could have stolen a bunch and I'd never notice
Aha the bedroom cutlery abyss we have one of those too, a bit like the odd sock fairy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.