Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you do in this situation?

What would you do in this situation?

Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

Originally Posted by Brat1
Even if you thought that they could have a better life here? I can't imagine saying goodbye to her on the plane. I've just been through all that to get here
Its still early days for you all living over there isn't it, so how can you say its going to be a better life, I dont mean to rock your boat, but I know teenage daughters can bloody well rock yours.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why do you think she'll have a better life here?
Compared to our circumstances back home, what we can provide for them and the family time which we could have together is better than the UK, for us anyway. I hope
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think she'll have a better life here?
Early days ELv
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my own experience, all I can say is......... do watch out for any signs that your daughter's unhappiness may be turning into real depression.

Some kids do adjust eventually, some never do, and it can be really tough on the family.
Thanks again. I'll take on board what you're saying. That's why I post on this site because I value everyones opinion.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you thought that they could have a better life here? I can't imagine saying goodbye to her on the plane. I've just been through all that to get here
Maybe better...maybe not...but it will certainly be different. Whether it works out for her or not IMO she is certainly lucky to be given an opportunity to live in another country. She can always go back home in the future but the opportunity to be in the US has a very small window.

My daughter settled into life here very well but then decided to go to uni in Canada. She is now living and working in Toronto. She is almost 25 and she's lived and been educated in 3 countries. She is a UK and US citizen...therefore she can work and live anywhere in Europe and the US. She will probably become a Canadian citizen too. In my book that is a fabulous opportunity...one that many would give their right arm for.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Odds are in favor of the daughter having a better life in the US because:

1. She will be with her parents and siblings.
2. Not sure how well her grandparents would be able to keep an eye on her back in the UK (as grandparents are almost always 'softer' than parents when it comes to discipline).
3. She would most likely get into trouble because she will feel 'free' if her parents.
4. As previously pointed out her grandparents may become dependent on her when she isn't ready for that situation.

It isn't just about the short term, it's about the long term, and remember that she is only sixteen and wants what immediately satisfies her intentions rather than considering future consequences.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Compared to our circumstances back home, what we can provide for them and the family time which we could have together is better than the UK, for us anyway. I hope
Good luck to ya, but I do feel for your daughter and my Parents only moved me out of London at 16,
TBH I never forgave them for it either and we only went to Berkshire.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Odds are in favor of the daughter having a better life in the US because:

1. She will be with her parents and siblings.
2. Not sure how well her grandparents would be able to keep an eye on her back in the UK (as grandparents are almost always 'softer' than parents when it comes to discipline).
3. She would most likely get into trouble because she will feel 'free' if her parents.
4. As previously pointed out her grandparents may become dependent on her when she isn't ready for that situation.

It isn't just about the short term, it's about the long term, and remember that she is only sixteen and wants what immediately satisfies her intentions rather than considering future consequences.
How do you know my parents and my daughter
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know my parents and my daughter
They're down the road from me... by the Tesco/WalMart!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
They're down the road from me... by the Tesco/WalMart!
Asda surely!!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Asda surely!!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Asda surely!!
Where I am in the UK and Asda is actually out of reach! But you never know about the WalMart.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is you are the parent and she is the child. Since when do her rights supersede what is best for the entire family?

Tell her she needs to finish high school and once she has done that she is free agent to choose where she wants to live and to support herself financially.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:03 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again. I'll take on board what you're saying. That's why I post on this site because I value everyones opinion.
I came over with 3 kids one was 15 nearly 16 he hated it from the minute he landed he returned after only 3 weeks I do not regret for 1 min allowing him to go back.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to hear your daughter wants to leave. I do think she needs to try a bit longer to see what she makes of the place. It is hard to adjust to a new place. When I was 18 I went to Michigan as an exchange student and it took me about 3 months to feel fully comfortable being there. I had no family around and knew no one there. I stuck it out and am glad I did. It was very hard and I was really out of my comfort zone but I don't regret it. Now I am back again and what I learned about myself then is helping now. I have been in Indiana for almost 5 months. My kids are younger than yours, son is 6 and daughter is 5 next week, and have adjusted well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.