British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What would Jesus do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-would-jesus-do-343644/)

ScousePete Dec 19th 2005 10:57 pm

What would Jesus do?

I made a visit to a new wine store today which had recently opened. It is one of those mega-stores with umpteen thousand bottles of wine.

The wife and I like wine and will usually buy a case every week or two. We brought with us a coupon which we had cut from the local paper. The coupon was for $15 off the purchase of 12 or more bottles of wine. (Each bottle had to be $9.95 or more)

So we selected our 12 bottles of wine and proceeded to the check-out. We presented our coupon to the cashier who checked it carefully and then checked that we did indeed have 12 bottles of wine. She then gave us a discount of $15 for each bottle of wine. The total discount was $180! The balance was $10.37! My wife and I looked at each other - surely the cashier was going to notice that she had made a mistake, but no, she just carried on and charged us $10.37.

As we were driving (very fast!) away from the store, I said to my wife, "Should we have said anything?"

Would you???

Elvira Dec 19th 2005 11:00 pm

Re: What would Jesus do?

Originally Posted by ScousePete

As we were driving (very fast!) away from the store, I said to my wife, "Should we have said anything?"

Would you???

Frankly, yes, I would have.

This cashier is quite likely to lose her job over this IF it were to be discovered.

Rushman Dec 19th 2005 11:00 pm

"Should we have said anything?"

Would you???

I'd have said "Another 6 cases please"

Lord Lionheart Dec 19th 2005 11:18 pm

I made a visit to a new wine store today which had recently opened. It is one of those mega-stores with umpteen thousand bottles of wine.

The wife and I like wine and will usually buy a case every week or two. We brought with us a coupon which we had cut from the local paper. The coupon was for $15 off the purchase of 12 or more bottles of wine. (Each bottle had to be $9.95 or more)

So we selected our 12 bottles of wine and proceeded to the check-out. We presented our coupon to the cashier who checked it carefully and then checked that we did indeed have 12 bottles of wine. She then gave us a discount of $15 for each bottle of wine. The total discount was $180! The balance was $10.37! My wife and I looked at each other - surely the cashier was going to notice that she had made a mistake, but no, she just carried on and charged us $10.37.

Would you???

Maybe she heard the Scouse accent, thought you were going to rob her and panicked? ;)

Wintersong Dec 19th 2005 11:20 pm

Would you???

Yes. Not because I'm a particularly honest person, but because my mouth works faster than my brain and I would undoubtedly have said something along the lines of "that can't be right" before I'd thought it through.

I wouldn't be visiting that store again in a hurry either :D

Patrick Dec 19th 2005 11:22 pm

Jesus really never had a need for a wine store, he just turned H2O into zinfendel and he was done!

ScousePete Dec 19th 2005 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
Maybe she heard the Scouse accent, thought you were going to rob her and panicked? ;)

That's probably it!

Eskimo Dec 19th 2005 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
my mouth works faster than my brain

Evident from your posts on here :D

dbj1000 Dec 19th 2005 11:58 pm

I'm just impressed that each of your bottles was more than $15. Clearly a man after my own heart (or possibly liver)!

Life's too short to drink $4.99 Texas Zinfandel. ;)

dbj1000 Dec 20th 2005 12:00 am

...and as for Jesus... have you ever tasted Israeli wine?!?

Rushman Dec 20th 2005 12:02 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Life's too short to drink $4.99 Texas Zinfandel. ;)

Too right mate, a gallon of antifreeze is cheaper than that and you get a better buzz.

anotherlimey Dec 20th 2005 12:04 am

Would you???

They'll probably just notice it in 3 years and then charge it to your credit card.

Wintersong Dec 20th 2005 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Evident from your posts on here :D

In for a penny, in for a pound, eh? You figured you're going to get the arse kicking anyway so you might as well make damn sure you're going to deserve it come boxing day? :p

TruBrit Dec 20th 2005 12:09 am

nahh mate from a scouser to a scouser I'd have done the same thing .....cheers :beer: it's the time for giving right :D and you just took, nowt wrong with that...enjoy :)

NC Penguin Dec 20th 2005 12:17 am

Would you???

Was the store Total Wine by any chance?

How did you pay? Cash or a card? If it's the latter, is it possible the store will contact you about the charging you incorrectly?

If I were in your shoes, I would've pointed out the cashier's error. I would like to be able to return to the store with a clear conscience but that's just me.

As for Jesus. He wouldn't have had to buy the wine. He would've made it himself, just like in the Bible! :D

NC Penguin