Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What things make you homesick?

What things make you homesick?

Old Oct 1st 2004, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Eyebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What things make you homesick?

Originally Posted by fatman
<Sob> I miss the English pubs too! going to your local for a nice quiet pint of bitter and a bag of pork scratchings, there's nothing like it, in America they all sit around in coffee houses till one in the morning, but I suppose if your national beer was budweiser you wouldn't want to sit in a pub, sigh
I have found as far as beer goes that the UK and US are similar in one aspect. The big national breweries all produce dire offerings in both countries... I don't think they're much to chose between Budweiser (US) and Fosters (UK); Miller (US) and Carling (UK). All pretty bland...

However, I have found some brewpubs around the US that do make excellent beers, and although usually in a different style to the Uk, and very few are 'real ale' some are enjoyable to drink with character and taste..
Old Oct 1st 2004, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Eyebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, miss the papers too, far more interesting and amusing in blighty, helps there national papers, out here, the only big one is the crap usa today...
there ain't any decent national papers, and local stuff, might as well wipe ya arse with it for the news it has...
I much prefer the Newspapers in the US in general to the UK. Much more like newspapers I feel. IN the UK I read the Daily Telegraph, but the paper here - The Post & Courier - gives a good mix of both local and national news coverage. I have even subscribed to it, and have it delivered each morning.. something I didn't bother do in England.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eyebee
I much prefer the Newspapers in the US in general to the UK. Much more like newspapers I feel. IN the UK I read the Daily Telegraph, but the paper here - The Post & Courier - gives a good mix of both local and national news coverage. I have even subscribed to it, and have it delivered each morning.. something I didn't bother do in England.
Lucky to have decent local paper then...offerings over here are shite.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Someone mentioned on another thread about missing bonfire night... forth of July is just not the same

sometimes I really miss walking to my locals for a night out with the girls (lived in a village in the UK we had 5 pubs all within a max of 10 mins walk). I really miss inner city shooping... I used to love going to newcastle shopping. Downtown Grand Rapids is almost entirely offices.

And of course english chocolate I really miss (but I have that mailed over)

apart from the obivious friends and family what things make you home sick?

Ash
Where are you from?, I too miss the local and shopping at marks and spencer food dept in the metro centre.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I miss is being able to go shopping on a Saturday with my mum and spend the whole day walking from shop to shop. Last year my mother in law visited and I said I would take her shopping, nothing drove home the difference as much as driving from shop to shop, all day. The worst thing was she has a dodgy hip so it took ages for her to get in and out of the car..

Oh and I miss branston pickle like mad. I did miss curry but last year my bro brought me all the ingrediants out in huge quantities and left me a corker of a recipe, so thats now off my list.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:36 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eyebee
I have found as far as beer goes that the UK and US are similar in one aspect. The big national breweries all produce dire offerings in both countries... I don't think they're much to chose between Budweiser (US) and Fosters (UK); Miller (US) and Carling (UK). All pretty bland...

However, I have found some brewpubs around the US that do make excellent beers, and although usually in a different style to the Uk, and very few are 'real ale' some are enjoyable to drink with character and taste..

Yeah cheap ass lager all tastes the same whatever monkey brews it, I miss the fine real ales of England like Pedigree and Burton Ale etc, I have seen some American Ales around and they are ok, maybe one day I will start my own brewery... but then again maybe not, maybe I'll just moan about it.

But what about things you don't miss about England...

Personally, here I like the way random people will turn around and bellow Hi, how are you, or good morning etc, though when I turn round and say alright mate? they look at me blankly
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Oh and I miss branston pickle like mad. I did miss curry but last year my bro brought me all the ingrediants out in huge quantities and left me a corker of a recipe, so thats now off my list.
Got a decent co-op to get the bits here, and decent recipes...which is nice, but it ain't the same as going out for one is it...
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Got a decent co-op to get the bits here, and decent recipes...which is nice, but it ain't the same as going out for one is it...
No your right there, mind you part of it is getting a curry at the end of an evening at the pub with your mates
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:58 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
It ain't the same but you can go out for a load of Mexican food which is just as good....
Though it would be nice to see something like the curry mile in Manchester here
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ladylisa
No your right there, mind you part of it is getting a curry at the end of an evening at the pub with your mates
Aye, it's the whole night out thing, with mates....don't work over here, freeze ya knackers off walking around at night, and walk bloomin' miles getting anywhere *l*
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatman
It ain't the same but you can go out for a load of Mexican food which is just as good....
Though it would be nice to see something like the curry mile in Manchester here
scarily, there ain't a mexican around for miles, well this one place open in summers, but closes before 9....couple of thai and korean places tho...bit dodgy looking..