Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What things make you homesick?

What things make you homesick?

Old Oct 1st 2004, 2:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What things make you homesick?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
One major aspect of British life (although I lived in London) is being able to walk from A to B and to be able to use public transport to get there if I want to.
we have trains, trams and buses in the north you know
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I miss the weather

I've always been a winter man and I miss the cold. The heat over here drives me nuts.
You can have some of the cold we get here then
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
I still miss the usual things like the variety of crisps flavours, decent chocolate, real bacon and bread. Also watching football 4/5 times a week and easy access to a decent social life, being able to use public transport and walk places, but these things are fading with the time I've been here...
Yeah, being able to walk places is nice, though now in a "city", though it's got a population off 3K, so hardly counts, and can walk across it in a couple mins, and there's nothing to do here, but at least can walk to the post office, which couldn't do last year....and real bacon...yum
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:40 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really say as I really miss anything at all...my home is here now, and if I went back to the UK, I would start to miss the things that I've taken for granted over here.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
But I am trying to get in the mind set of, well, I chose to be here with my wife, I have to deal with the cultural change. I don't have to accept them, just tolerate them.
That's very true, the price of being with who you want to be with, and makes life interesting, I don't mind being here, but still miss some of the comforts of home, but having said that, I don't really give a shite either country, both have pluses and negatives, and the mates can always get off there arses and come over for a holiday *l*
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:58 pm
Brit'n'TX

I don't miss things or the lifestyle, just people - my family and friends. We haven't been back since arriving here 2 1/2 years ago and I know my parents are becoming frail through age and I'm missing my nephews and nieces growing up.

Hopefully I'll be going back for a week in November (just think of the lovely weather!) and can do some catching up.

Old Oct 1st 2004, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this is going to sound stupid but I miss the 'grimeyness' of London, here in the 'burbs of Chicago everything is pretty sterile, it all looks a bit like the 'Truman Show'. I think London has a lot more character.

I also miss some foods, especially battered sausage and chips, nothing even comes close here.

Has anyone else been to a Costco World Market? They have food imported from all over the world there, I got Heinz salad cream and chocolate oranges from them.

-tom
Old Oct 1st 2004, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Ok this is going to sound stupid but I miss the 'grimeyness' of London, here in the 'burbs of Chicago everything is pretty sterile, it all looks a bit like the 'Truman Show'. I think London has a lot more character.

I also miss some foods, especially battered sausage and chips, nothing even comes close here.

Has anyone else been to a Costco World Market? They have food imported from all over the world there, I got Heinz salad cream and chocolate oranges from them.

-tom
Tom,
I've just moved from the Chicago burbs, have you tried the Meijer stores? They have an "International" aisle which holds such goodies as Heinz Beans, Tomato soup, Curry paste, Ribena etc. Definitely worth a trip. Also if you're anywhere near Naperville there is an Irish store in the downtown which sells English chocolate bars, it's almost like going to the sweet shop. She sells them singly so you can get a mix of Flakes or bags of Buttons.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 5:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What things make you homesick?

It's funny how everyone seems to miss certain food items from Blighty!

Actually another thing I miss is reading a really good Sunday newspaper....used to love reading the 'Sunday Times' (they flipping well charge for it online grrrrr) or 'The Observer', but it's not the same as reading the newspapers in bed on a lazy Sunday morning with a mug of tea and some toast. We did get the "New York Times" but it's nowhere near as interesting as the UK newspapers in my opinion.

Sometimes if I'm in NYC or Hoboken I happen to pass a shop where they sell imported newspapers from around the world, sometimes the weekly condensed edtions for expats of the "International Express", "Weekly Telegraph" or "The Week" (Guardian)...a few days ago I was able to buy a copy of "The Daily Mail" @$2.25 which is actually printed in the US each day and virtually identical to the UK edition apart from a few ads for retail outlets in Florida.

For anyone not living in Florida or major US cities, there is a postal subscription service of the "Daily Mail" where they mail it out to your home. You can just order the "Mail on Sunday" or a 'weekend package' (Sat DM, Mail on Sunday and Monday DM). There is a freephone number: 1-800-624-5274.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 5:57 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Someone mentioned on another thread about missing bonfire night... forth of July is just not the same

sometimes I really miss walking to my locals for a night out with the girls (lived in a village in the UK we had 5 pubs all within a max of 10 mins walk). I really miss inner city shooping... I used to love going to newcastle shopping. Downtown Grand Rapids is almost entirely offices.

And of course english chocolate I really miss (but I have that mailed over)

apart from the obivious friends and family what things make you home sick?

Ash
<Sob> I miss the English pubs too! going to your local for a nice quiet pint of bitter and a bag of pork scratchings, there's nothing like it, in America they all sit around in coffee houses till one in the morning, but I suppose if your national beer was budweiser you wouldn't want to sit in a pub, sigh
Old Oct 1st 2004, 5:58 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Actually another thing I miss is reading a really good Sunday newspaper....used to love reading the 'Sunday Times'.
Yeah, I miss that too. I can usually finish the Sunday rags here in 30 minutes whereas it used to take me a week to finish the Sunday Times and Scotland on Sunday. I also miss summer evenings when it doesn't get dark 'til 10ish.

But that's about it, overall I don't miss too much about the UK as I still feel as if I'm in holiday mode. If ever got a job then I might start to pine for the UK.

Watching Location Location Location on BBC America does make me slightly homesick although by the end of the program I'm usually convinced that I'm better off over here than in a tiny, expensive house.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Eyebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
One major aspect of British life (although I lived in London) is being able to walk from A to B and to be able to use public transport to get there if I want to.

The first option is virtually impossible where I live and the second option is an exceedingly slow way to get from A to B and can be dangerous (if you ride the buses at night).

Also, I do not like like driving either. It's a necessary evil of American life

NC Penguin
I can walk to a branch of the Atlanta Bread Company here, and get real fresh made bread. I agree that is unusual in many parts of the US. I much prefer driving here than in the UK, more room, less hurry, just find it more relaxing. Some folks here complain about rush hour traffic, but it's nothing like the M25. I also like being able to go out for a drive on the weekend, and not have to think too much about the cost of another tankful of fuel.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 6:10 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Miss the pubs too! That's probably the biggest thing I miss. Getting a decent lager and lime, playing the one arm bandits and a good game of darts.

Being able to get decent chocolate anytime
Raspberry Ripple
BREAD - OMG what I wouldn't give for a decent slice of toast!
Being able to speak comfortably and be understood.

Love it here though and would never go back. I get to:
Drive a nice car AND afford to fill up the tank
Fry out on the deck in 95 degree weather with a book and a margarita
Live in a big ass house without having to be a millionaire
Live a lifestyle to which I should have been accustomed, but never was.

Old Oct 1st 2004, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Eyebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Agree on the weather, Austin has two seasons, hot and damn hot. I would love to have 4 proper seasons. Apart from that the only thing I really miss is British TV. The TV over here is just cr@p, they just manage to squeeze some programs in between the adverts. One tip is to get a Tivo or some other kind of PVR. It is a must for ad skipping. I do not watch a single piece of live TV. I am running one day behind, and skip all the ads this way.

Here's what I DON'T miss :-
Smelly, smokey, overpriced pubs (never went in them in the UK, well not since my mid 20's)
Pokey, overpriced housing.
Small parking spaces and the M4/M25 on a Monday morning
Heathrow (Needs levelling and starting again)
Mingers and munters rolling around the streets at 11:00 on a Friday night
Speed cameras, traffic calming measures etc.
Surly shop staff (ok here it is all false and they never listen to a word you are saying but at least they try to help and be friendly)
New Labour

I could go on, but happiness is a state of mind, I don't try to compare one with the other, they are different animals, and I think the trick is just to accept this and embrace the country you live in and all it offers.

- Tim
I agree that one has to adapt, and those that don't want to will never settle elsewhere. Nowhere in the world is perfect of course.

I can't help but agree on most of what you say. I don't miss the pubs, not when I can go to a local bar here in happy hour and it's ventilated, have a couple of drinks each, and a good helping of fresh wings all for about 7 bucks. Heck in England the beer alone would have cost that...

It's also nice to be able to go downtown on a weekend evening, and enjoy the atmosphere occasionally, without those mingers (and morons) you talk about.

OK sometimes the customers service is plastic, but yes, it's nice to be smield at, and greeted, and I never really tire of that... not after the more-often-than-not grunt you get in a UK store.

I'd like some brown sauce to put in my occasional bacon sandwiches, and I'd prefer nice meaty rashers (Canadian Style isn't the same either). I'd like to have Branston to put in my cheese sandwich sometimes, and I can't find ordinary baked beans... I don't like the brown sugar laden ones here.

However, there is so much more choice when eating out here, and American restaurants (even the chains) sem to be able to cook a steak so much better than British ones. Here in the low country of SC, we have an abundance of fresh seafood too....

so really it's only every now and again I hear myself say to my wife "I wish I could have ... to eat right now".

As for the TV, I didn't watch it in the UK, except for the news sometimes, and I'm the same here. In fact, if it were down to me, I'd probably not even have one... whichever country I was living in...
Old Oct 1st 2004, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's funny how everyone seems to miss certain food items from Blighty!

Actually another thing I miss is reading a really good Sunday newspaper....used to love reading the 'Sunday Times' (they flipping well charge for it online grrrrr) or 'The Observer', but it's not the same as reading the newspapers in bed on a lazy Sunday morning with a mug of tea and some toast. We did get the "New York Times" but it's nowhere near as interesting as the UK newspapers in my opinion.
Yup, miss the papers too, far more interesting and amusing in blighty, helps there national papers, out here, the only big one is the crap usa today...
there ain't any decent national papers, and local stuff, might as well wipe ya arse with it for the news it has...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.