Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What things do you wish you had been helped with when you moved?

Wikiposts

What things do you wish you had been helped with when you moved?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kazzuk
Well now I know that I will be successful. I have an excellent business track record, I have 3 successful businesses already. I have even won an award on UK television for my business successes. I have the finances to set it up properly and the business background to offer experience. I used to help small businesses set up and market their businesses back in the UK - for no pay I might add.

So anyway, can I sell you a gift basket or find you your dream home!!!!!!!!!! :-)
None of the above!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:31 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input, I hope you day gets better!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:34 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Excuse my typing, I am functioning with only one eye this week. I have Iritis (inflamation of the iris) and I cannot see out of my left eye.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:17 am
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kazzuk
Excuse my typing, I am functioning with only one eye this week. I have Iritis (inflamation of the iris) and I cannot see out of my left eye.
You have my sympathies. I get recuring Iritis, and know just how horrid it is. Fingers crossed I havent have it for while now!

Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:52 am
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me a while to figure out the US pint only has 16 fl ounces compared to the UK (imperial) pint that has 20 fl ounces. In fact I could have done with a US to UK cookbook translations. Oven temperatures, solids measured in cups, liquids measured in Fl ounces and quarts etc. what did they mean in UK English, no wonder so many people eat out or order in. Now there could be a whole new business for you.

My theory for why there are only 16 fl ounces is that many early immigrants were from Germany and Italy who measured in metric litres, where as the British measured in Imperial pints and fluid ounces. 1/2 litre is very nearly 16 fluid ounces (1 pint) and 1 litre is I think 1 quarts. So I figured they took the Germany/Italian quantities and gave British names to them.

Oh also, why did no-one tell me why people put the little flag up on the letter box (mail box)? It was a long time before I realised the postman (mailman) would collect your mail as well as deliver.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:20 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Smile

Thank you - keep your suggestions coming
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:42 am
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

Terminology can be scary. I heard of a guy new out from UK who saw another guy with the hood up on his car. So he went up and said. "what's the matter mate, got a flat, I'll give you a hand. I've got some leads in my car do you want a jump". What he should have said was " Whats up got a dead battery. I've got some booster cables in my car if it will help.