Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is there to do?

What is there to do?

Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:21 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is there to do?

Originally Posted by g1ant
I already have a credit history. Been working on that a couple of years now thanks to previous good advice gleaned from this group. I have a secured card, but an offer of an unsecured one which I will take up when we get our new address. I think my score is somewhere in the 730's.

I'm hoping to get a card that gives me American Airlines miles, but the AT&T one sounds promising too.

Alex.
I forgot to say there is no fee with the AT&T card either.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Get an AMEX in the UK now. Then change the address once you get here. There are other threads on this one.
Absolutely - do this! If you have a UK Amex Card, you will be able to get a US one once you are here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml

You dont realise how much it will help you to be able to get a US credit card straight off (starts building your 'credit score' ... VERY important here.)

People on this site recommended I do the same before I left the UK, definitely one of the best pieces of advise I received.

Good luck!!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Linababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Learn to say y'all !

But, before you leave the UK, get your kids school to supply you with their records etc. We had quite a delay here (especially with the older kids) because the school in the UK were very slow in supplying those. Also, get shot records from the doc in the UK. If your kid doesn't have all the correct shots make sure they get them before you enroll in school. If you don't have health insurance here yet then try to do in the UK before you come.

Umm Paul, what do you mean about health insurance and getting it from UK before one leaves? I personally wont have health insurance when I get to ohio and my fiance over there doesnt have health insurance - we will be buying into a private scheme (unfortunately he doesnt get it with his work). And really we wont have the mney for it until my funds from selling my house here in uk is transfered to a bank account i open once i get there. What do you or anyone else recommend?

Lina (UKC)
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linababe
Umm Paul, what do you mean about health insurance and getting it from UK before one leaves? I personally wont have health insurance when I get to ohio and my fiance over there doesnt have health insurance - we will be buying into a private scheme (unfortunately he doesnt get it with his work). And really we wont have the mney for it until my funds from selling my house here in uk is transfered to a bank account i open once i get there. What do you or anyone else recommend?

Lina (UKC)

Don't get sick before your sales proceeds come through!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Linababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Big D
Don't get sick before your sales proceeds come through!!
yes that is true - but im a born worrier i worry about everything lol. Good answer but I was hoping to find out if anyone took any health insurance out before they left UK and will it cover them over there in the states for a short period?? Anyone got ideas?

Lina (UKC)