Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What taxes do I pay???

What taxes do I pay???

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:43 pm
sbrobinson

Default What taxes do I pay???

Hi,

I am current;y in the process of going from K-1 Visa to Green Card, I was married to my US wife May 2004.

I recently received my work authorization.

I was wondering if anyone knew what taxes I pay with me not being a citizen. Do I pay social security??

Hope to hear from somebody soon

Simon Robinson

Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:14 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice
Default Re: What taxes do I pay???

Originally Posted by sbrobinson
Hi,

I am current;y in the process of going from K-1 Visa to Green Card, I was married to my US wife May 2004.

I was wondering if anyone knew what taxes I pay with me not being a citizen. Do I pay social security??

Simon Robinson
Same as anyone. Your HR should have your taxes taken out of your paycheck automatically. Then you have to file income tax forms in the spring of next year. Surely your wife would know about that?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sbrobinson
Hi,

Simon Robinson

You pay the same taxes that US citizens pay. Most employers directly deduct the applicable taxes from your paycheck. You'll then get a W-2 form sometime around the beginning of the year, and have to use it to file federal income taxes by April 15. (The tax filing deadline for state income taxes, if any, varies.)

They will include some or all of the following:

Federal Income Tax
Social Security (FICA)
Federal Medicare
State Income Tax

~ Jenney
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid local taxes can be amusing though too...like money taken out of the utility bills for the library etc. hmmm...
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

And if you don't live in the same city as you work you could end up paying 2 city taxes
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:11 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by adeshell
Same as anyone. Your HR should have your taxes taken out of your paycheck automatically. Then you have to file income tax forms in the spring of next year. Surely your wife would know about that?
Actually, she must know about that...the US Embassy in London wouldn't approve my Green Card application because my wife hadn't filed taxes the year before despite her being in the UK for the whole period.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

...the US Embassy in London wouldn't approve my Green Card application because my wife hadn't filed taxes the year before despite her being in the UK for the whole period.
USCs are required to file every year, regardless
You might want to check the rules for PRs on the same topic.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
They have to too, if they want to keep the status.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:45 pm
You fat bastard

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, thats all in the past. I have my citizenship interview on Nov 8th and once I say my oath, bollocks to the INS....
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Well, thats all in the past. I have my citizenship interview on Nov 8th and once I say my oath, bollocks to the INS....
Good luck then...and life long taxes and all that
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:43 pm
You fat bastard

Originally Posted by Bob
Good luck then...and life long taxes and all that
Pity its a bit too late to vote. Government conspiricy...