Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

what should I do?!

what should I do?!

Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:43 pm
VictoriaHoward

Default what should I do?!

im in love with a Britsh national I meet in the UK waiting for his USA visa as he turned 21, we moved to the USA a year later, I came on, a soon to expire J1, he still dosent have his visa 2 years after he applied, his family have waited 10 years for a green card and still dont have one. He flies back and forth usa to uk. He loves the USA, I think its no worse than the UK. I cant get an H visa as I dont have enough skills and no employeer in my field
is prepared to wait three years for a visa to show up. The irony is Im a
immigration Historian I could find it very easy to get work in the UK or even fairly easy in the EU. he gets angrey with me and says Im a looser, i have spoken with
many people in my field who said they would consider sponsering me in a few years with more experince, i have only just graduated.
What should I do, fly back and forth for life to be with him? He wont marry me and sponser me and we cant adford to live off one wage, plus I want to work. The chances of him gaining a visa are slim, he always gets american women asking him out, do you think i should do
just give up and let him be with an american girl?

Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:39 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what should I do?!

Originally Posted by VictoriaHoward
im in love with a Britsh national I meet in the UK waiting for his USA visa as he turned 21, we moved to the USA a year later, I came on, a soon to expire J1, he still dosent have his visa 2 years after he applied, his family have waited 10 years for a green card and still dont have one. He flies back and forth usa to uk. He loves the USA, I think its no worse than the UK. I cant get an H visa as I dont have enough skills and no employeer in my field
immigration Historian I could find it very easy to get work in the UK or even fairly easy in the EU. he gets angrey with me and says Im a looser, i have spoken with
many people in my field who said they would consider sponsering me in a few years with more experince, i have only just graduated.
What should I do, fly back and forth for life to be with him? He wont marry me and sponser me and we cant adford to live off one wage, plus I want to work. The chances of him gaining a visa are slim, he always gets american women asking him out, do you think i should do
May I ask what your citizenship is? Your english doesnt seem too fantastic....not really understaing the full picture here....don't mean to be harsh, we;ll try and help you as best we can but we need a bit more of the specifics of both your origins and current status.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:42 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a dildo.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

he gets angrey with me and says Im a looser,
How can up put up with any Man who calls you a Looser
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you anxious or desperate to live in the USA? What's wrong with following a successful career path in Europe, if you have that opportunity?

Men who refuse to marry you aren't keepers, IMO.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:13 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Victoria, If your US visa is running out and you can't get any sponsorship just now, maybe you should think about going to the UK or EU where you said you would find work fairly easily. Then when you have skills you can maybe get a US company to sponsor you. Life is too short to stay with a guy who calls you a loser.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:17 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
Buy a dildo.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:23 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You have to decide your priorities. Him or you (since he doesn't want to marry).

Based on your description of your boyfriend, it's more about him than the two of you.

Maybe he thinks you have ulterior motives for wanting to be with him. i.e. you have an expiring J1 and he's waiting for his Green Card.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a wind up? If not....call yourself a doormat then you can only expect to be used like one.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:58 pm
VictoriaHoward

No its isnt a wind up
I just wanted to know what people thought
I was woundering if I should try and over stay and work under the table and then hope for amensty in 10 years the same way the Spainish do.
I have J1 visa an internship, my empoyeers are pleased with me, I have had job offers but they alwasy pull out when they relaise how much of a struggle it is to get a visa for somone right now.
Im British 26 my English is terrible as I have Dyslexia, Sorry.
My guy wont leave the USA, even through he will spend the next ten years trying to be a citzen.

Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No its isnt a wind up
I was woundering if I should try and over stay and work under the table and then hope for amensty in 10 years the same way the Spainish do.
I have J1 visa an internship, my empoyeers are pleased with me, I have had job offers but they alwasy pull out when they relaise how much of a struggle it is to get a visa for somone right now.
My guy wont leave the USA, even through he will spend the next ten years trying to be a citzen.
OK....so first things first....ditch the fella.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:29 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

No its isnt a wind up
I don't think it is a good idea to overstay your visa. I'm sure lots of people do, but if you get caught..........Why not look to get a job in the UK/EU? you said that it would be fairly easy to do that, build up your experience, then try to get a US company to sponsor you.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No its isnt a wind up
If the current Senate legislation goes through you would not qualify anyway.

If the current Senate legislation goes through it would seem likely the next amnesty would be in another 20 years, do you want to wait that long?

Not to many Spanish in the US waiting for an amnesty.

I take it that the boyfriend is hoping for an amnesty, he may be lucky, he may not. Probably will take many many years to get a GC even if the amnesty happens. More than 10.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:03 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Still think its a wind up.
Wtf is an immigration historian anyway ????
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:06 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
And buy a dildo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.