Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What a rip off

Wikiposts

What a rip off

Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a rip off

Originally Posted by gardnma
I saw in CA, that the Hispanics are very self-segregated, you are right there.
But in NY, I never once saw the level of voluntary segregation which seems to exist like it does here. Maybe in your part of Jersey then. I don't know, only driven through New Jersey.
Chinatown in NYC...there is also Washington Heights which is Jewish, Harlem and Spanish Harlem. I think it happens in many city and urban areas throughout the US. There are areas within say 20 miles of here that have Eastern European, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese and Arab communities. The all live in their own area, with their own ethnic stores and religious houses. Many cannot speak English and in the case of Indians...dress in traditional clothes. Although it probably isn't on the same scale as it is in the south.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 21st 2006 at 12:51 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Chinatown in NYC...there is also Washington Heights which is Jewish, Harlem and Spanish Harlem. I think it happens in many city and urban areas throughout the US. There are areas within say 20 miles that have Eastern European, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese and Arab communities. The all live in their own area, with their own ethnic stores and religious houses. Many cannot speak English and in the case of Indians...dress in traditional clothes.
Yeah, we lived in upstate NY. Never visited the "big apple". Never felt the inclination...
Maybe the impersonal nature of a big city sets the tone for ethnic "zones"
Well, anyway. It is what it is, it ain't going to change.

Thats my quota of serious stuff until after xmas.

Nice chatting Joisey, G'night
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:54 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I didn't write that they don't tip. I wrote that they don't tip well.

in fact big parties of churchgoers has cropped up as a universal nightware as far as pretty much every server I know mentions.

Its so bad several have told me they refuse to work those hours as they know they will get screwed.

Having to wait on a table of 10-12 people who leave a total of 12% whilst being a nightmare to deal with (large groups inherently are apparently) is a real pain in the arse.

I need to point out this is not my own experience, I've never been a server, but many of my close friends have been/are currently....

I just listen to what they have to say because i'm still a bit fascinated (and disturbed) by the wage structure for their jobs...
thanks for clarifying earlier. Are these people that eat in your experience from poor neighbourhoods etc. As I have been to plenty of church lunches etc and it was them that 1st told me to tip at least 15% and they practiced it.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
thanks for clarifying earlier. Are these people that eat in your experience from poor neighbourhoods etc. As I have been to plenty of church lunches etc and it was them that 1st told me to tip at least 15% and they practiced it.

nope, these are people doing reasonably well

for a laugh I googled the two following phrases. apparently people have been doing some statistical analysis...

black people bad tippers
church people bad tippers

too many people with too much time on their hands...

I think with older people it has maybe something to do with the war/depression and with ardent church-goers I think its just par for the course hypocrisy....
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:29 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

nope, these are people doing reasonably well

for a laugh I googled the two following phrases. apparently people have been doing some statistical analysis...

black people bad tippers
church people bad tippers

too many people with too much time on their hands...

I think with older people it has maybe something to do with the war/depression and with ardent church-goers I think its just par for the course hypocrisy....
sorry going to ask you to clear something up,
you think black people and church people have too much time on their hands or was that another group of people
btw maybe it is the hypocrites that make headlines but I'm fed up with all the church goin people (and others) that have set up their own soup kitchens etc and do loads of 'good work' all voluntary and are unsung heros in my book.
I've worked with them in the elderly homes, done a lot of soup kitchens etc, and have witnessed a lot of 'saints'!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:32 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
sorry going to ask you to clear something up,
you think black people and church people have too much time on their hands or was that another group of people
btw maybe it is the hypocrites that make headlines but I'm fed up with all the church goin people (and others) that have set up their own soup kitchens etc and do loads of 'good work' all voluntary and are unsung heros in my book.
I've worked with them in the elderly homes, done a lot of soup kitchens etc, and have witnessed a lot of 'saints'!

I'm saying that the people who went and did a load of market research and statistical analysis on the data of people tipping have too much time on their hands.

There are a lot of great people, like you say, its just sad that they seem to overshadowed by people who present themselves to be pious christians, but in fact are morally deficient individuals... people always see the negative stories first...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:36 pm

I'm saying that the people who went and did a load of market research and statistical analysis on the data of people tipping have too much time on their hands.

There are a lot of great people, like you say, its just sad that they seem to overshadowed by people who present themselves to be pious christians, but in fact are morally deficient individuals... people always see the negative stories first...
aahh knew I had got the wrong end of the stick. So agree with you on all points!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I think in popular tourist areas such as Florida...tips are automatically added on because a lot of their business is from foreign tourists...who don't usually give tips.
Yep, I have used that excuse to tourist friends. Trouble is I'm getting fed up with it myself, not just in FL, but other places. A rip off is a ripoff, wherever it is.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Yep, I have used that excuse to tourist friends. Trouble is I'm getting fed up with it myself, not just in FL, but other places. A rip off is a ripoff, wherever it is.
Reg. Frank R.
You do have sun, sand and sea to compensate Frank.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

You do have sun, sand and sea to compensate Frank.
Everywhere has something, i'm tired of subsidizing.
Reg.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by frrussre
Everywhere has something, i'm tired of subsidizing.
Reg.
Come back up here and chill brrrrr.... out a little.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's just in the south...there's areas like that too. The same goes for Hispanic and Asian areas.
the place that the missus part times, the hispanics get paid around $2 less an hour compared to everyone else...you know the place, skanky angel knickers...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
the place that the missus part times, the hispanics get paid around $2 less an hour compared to everyone else...you know the place, skanky angel knickers...
But they want to "self segregate", apparently.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Come back up here and chill brrrrr.... out a little.
Jersey, its chilly here. High today 60f ish. This eve 40s. Above Orlando had snow flurries. We have our heating on. Could have worn my shearling. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I need a refund, no mention of this in the brochure.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:15 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Know what I can't fathom? Here in the South we have black churches, radio stations, tv programs. I've even seen black hairdressers. Its almost as if segregation is still hanging on.
Thing is, though, its the black population who set up these places and keep them going. If I were to try it on the other way 'round, I'd be strung up by my thumbs as a racist. Even making observations like this is considered as racist by some.

Its upside down.
I know what you mean, I always thought the same thing when I saw the MOBO awards on TV. I don't think there is such a thing as the MOWO awards!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.