Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What a rip off

Wikiposts

What a rip off

Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a rip off

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
My point was that people who fit into those categories don't tip well based on comments from pretty much every server who has ever discussed tipping or tips to me.

My use of the word satirical was referring to a films I've seen and african americans I know who make fun of themselves for not tipping well.

My combination of the three classes was my attempt at humour.
OK thanks for coming back to explain. Sometimes it's difficult to write down exactly what you mean and it can come across confusing.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
In our area if you go out for brunch on a Sunday after 11 or 12, the overwhelming majority of people filling the restaurants are black churchgoers allways dressed to the nines and basically very nice people. Really loud, but friendly.
Can honestly say I've never seen any of them leave a table without a tip, not that its something you really go looking for, but niether have heard "complaints about service and no tip" discussions from them.
When I see black people coming from church on Sunday they are all extremely well dressed, polite people.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:49 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When I see black people coming from church on Sunday they are all extremely well dressed, polite people.
Know what I can't fathom? Here in the South we have black churches, radio stations, tv programs. I've even seen black hairdressers. Its almost as if segregation is still hanging on.
Thing is, though, its the black population who set up these places and keep them going. If I were to try it on the other way 'round, I'd be strung up by my thumbs as a racist. Even making observations like this is considered as racist by some.

Its upside down.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Know what I can't fathom? Here in the South we have black churches, radio stations, tv programs. I've even seen black hairdressers. Its almost as if segregation is still hanging on.
Thing is, though, its the black population who set up these places and keep them going. If I were to try it on the other way 'round, I'd be strung up by my thumbs as a racist. Even making observations like this is considered as racist by some.

Its upside down.
Well no doubt you could go to a black hairdresser should you wish to.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally
I'd look pretty daft in an afro.
I did just recently actually, with my kids. We paid $30 for three haircuts which were terrible.
BTW, I didn't tip.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:59 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't write that they don't tip. I wrote that they don't tip well.

in fact big parties of churchgoers has cropped up as a universal nightware as far as pretty much every server I know mentions.

Its so bad several have told me they refuse to work those hours as they know they will get screwed.

Having to wait on a table of 10-12 people who leave a total of 12% whilst being a nightmare to deal with (large groups inherently are apparently) is a real pain in the arse.

I need to point out this is not my own experience, I've never been a server, but many of my close friends have been/are currently....

I just listen to what they have to say because i'm still a bit fascinated (and disturbed) by the wage structure for their jobs...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks for coming back to explain. Sometimes it's difficult to write down exactly what you mean and it can come across confusing.

I know, sorry...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:05 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Sally
I'm sure they would look at you a bit funny.

Actually, being a black hair dresser is apparently quite lucrative, I've been told that many african american men go once a week - good revenue stream...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

..........Actually, being a black hair dresser is apparently quite lucrative, I've been told that many african american men go once a week - good revenue stream...
Probably to chat up hairdressers.

Being in the South you may have met some Southern redneck racist types.
I was at a shipyard for a brief stint and was introduced to a coworkers "buddies". They were sitting around in a work hut sharpening pen knives complaining about "damn n&%$gers" in a very serious way.

Believe me, it was very scary to be among the genuine article. I got out fast and stayed well away from them at the yard.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Its upside down.
i always think that when the 'black music awards' comes round....maybe there are comparative white music awards that i am not aware of
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i always think that when the 'black music awards' comes round....maybe there are comparative white music awards that i am not aware of
I think these things arose to address historic unfairness in awards to black artists.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm sure they would look at you a bit funny.

Actually, being a black hair dresser is apparently quite lucrative, I've been told that many african american men go once a week - good revenue stream...
Yes there's one in the town near me...it's open until very late and is always full. Must be a little gold mine.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know, sorry...
Thanks...but it's OK. Sometimes the reader can misinterpret what's written....therefore it's best to ask for clarification.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Its upside down.
I don't think it's just in the south...there's areas like that too. The same goes for Hispanic and Asian areas.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

I don't think it's just in the south...there's areas like that too. The same goes for Hispanic and Asian areas.

I saw in CA, that the Hispanics are very self-segregated, you are right there.
But in NY, I never once saw the level of voluntary segregation which seems to exist like it does here. Maybe in your part of Jersey then. I don't know, only driven through New Jersey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.