Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

Aldi's profits have risen by 200% in the UK:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/dis...090417573.html

I'm moving to Switzerland (spouse is already there) and on the outskirts of town there is an Aldi, and in the other direction there is a Lidl store (which I much prefer). The beer and wine is much cheaper than anywhere else, yet the quality is fine.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:41 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I think we would be around that range as well (2 adults, 1 teen), but I sometimes have to nip out for a few extra bits and pieces during the week. I try not to because if I go out for a pint of milk I seem to come home with an extra $30 of shopping
Yes, this happens to me too. I have to ruthlessly limit the number of times I do food shopping in order to stay within budget. Lately I'm trying to limit us to only two shops per week. Doesn't work some weeks, but I try.

As for nipping out for a pint of milk, I've found that the longlife cartons of milk sold on the shelves will tide me over if we run out of fresh milk, so I keep a couple of the cartons in my pantry. They only need refrigerating once they're opened & even my fussy husband can't tell the difference in the taste.

Originally Posted by N1cky
One tip though. We did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago, which involved me sitting down once a week and figuring out what we were going to eat all week. I only bought the things on my list, and made sure that we used every bit of what was bought. My grocery bill came way down, maybe by as much as half, as I didn't randomly pick up things that we didn't need.
This is a great tip! My mum did this for years & years when we were growing up, & I need to do it too. When I'm planning ahead well, I tend do this mentally, sketching out all the week's meals ahead in my mind, but it's much better to do it on paper & hang the menu on the fridge so I don't forget.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:55 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Females tend to use a lot more of the non-food stuff than males,so you'd have to proportion the amounts accordingly, but $50 pp pw is doable. My family of four spend that at the normal grocery store, plus another $200-300 every couple of months at Costco for the bulk stuff. If you buy alcohol then you'd spend a lot more. Plus the economies of scale help, since making a meal for four is more efficient than for two.
Wait what? Which non-food stuff do females use more of? Are you talking about toiletries or cosmetics? I use very few cosmetics (only a bit of mascara which lasts me a year), no special shampoos or soaps or body lotion & sunblock (share all those with the OH), same toothpaste as the OH. In fact, I think he spends more on mouthwash, which I detest, & disposable razors than I spend on toiletries for me. Interesting to think about, but I would dispute that.

Unless you're perhaps referring to monthly female-type supplies? I will give you that as a continuing expense, but that it does end eventually. Thank goodness I'm long over that need.

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 2nd 2012 at 7:57 am. Reason: Added thought
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Ways to eat for $1 per meal per person - HEALTHY.

Buy in bulk:

Legumes
Whole grain pasta
Brown and basmati rice.

Buy day old bread from the bakery. Most of them will have a place (somewhere in the store far away from the actual bakery) where they mark bread down by at least half. This bread is usually better than the mass produced (read that as cardboard) stuff anyway. You can usually find nutty/whole grain bread half the price of a loaf of cardboard bread.

Find marked-down for quick sale meat and eggs - 30-50% off.

Find dented and close out items - but only buy stuff that you know you'll use like tinned tomatoes, etc.

Shop ethnic. Mercado, Indian, Asian markets have some high quality inexpensive stuff on offer. These are the places to stock up on spices.

Don't buy massive amounts of fresh produce at a time unless you know for sure you'll be using it all in a certain recipe.

Cut out/down expensive stuff that you're body doesn't really need anyway like meat, cheese, milk, butter. Increase cheap things that your body does need like eggs, oatmeal, brown rice, legumes.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Wait what? Which non-food stuff do females use more of? Are you talking about toiletries or cosmetics? I use very few cosmetics (only a bit of mascara which lasts me a year), no special shampoos or soaps or body lotion & sunblock (share all those with the OH), same toothpaste as the OH. In fact, I think he spends more on mouthwash, which I detest, & disposable razors than I spend on toiletries for me. Interesting to think about, but I would dispute that.
Toilet rolls, tissues, special shampoos, lotions, razor blades, women seem to use far more of it. And that's before you add the absurdly priced make-up. Very pleased that my wife rarely uses make-up. It might be just the women in my family and my wife's family (none of whom are the kind to bother significantly with their appearances) but I'm guessing you just aren't a typical woman. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact I'd prefer my wife to be more like you!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie

Buy in bulk:

Legumes
Whole grain pasta
Brown and basmati rice.

Buy day old bread from the bakery. Most of them will have a place (somewhere in the store far away from the actual bakery) where they mark bread down by at least half. This bread is usually better than the mass produced (read that as cardboard) stuff anyway. You can usually find nutty/whole grain bread half the price of a loaf of cardboard bread.

Find marked-down for quick sale meat and eggs - 30-50% off.

Find dented and close out items - but only buy stuff that you know you'll use like tinned tomatoes, etc.

Shop ethnic. Mercado, Indian, Asian markets have some high quality inexpensive stuff on offer. These are the places to stock up on spices.

Don't buy massive amounts of fresh produce at a time unless you know for sure you'll be using it all in a certain recipe.

Cut out/down expensive stuff that you're body doesn't really need anyway like meat, cheese, milk, butter. Increase cheap things that your body does need like eggs, oatmeal, brown rice, legumes.
We've started doing this. I go down to the grocery store early Sunday morning and check out their clearance items (especially meat) and then spend the afternoon cooking up a variety of different things. Tend to buy whole or chicken legs and make stock, shred the cooked chicken and freeze some stock and use the rest to make soup (carrot & Corriander, leek and potato, vegetable etc). It's a very effective way of using the clearance items, I cook up a weeks worth of meals and then either put them in the fridge or freeze them. We still cook from scratch during the week but it saves us from going out when we've both had long days and neither of us has the energy to cook from scratch.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Toilet rolls, tissues, special shampoos, lotions, razor blades, women seem to use far more of it. And that's before you add the absurdly priced make-up. Very pleased that my wife rarely uses make-up. It might be just the women in my family and my wife's family (none of whom are the kind to bother significantly with their appearances) but I'm guessing you just aren't a typical woman. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact I'd prefer my wife to be more like you!
I must be a complete bimbo- love all that kind of stuff - lotions, potions, creams, cologne, make-up - got a whole vanity full of the stuff, also have to take into account the amount of money I spend on mani/pedis/facials etcc...could probably afford to put a pool in with the amount I spend on personal grooming a year
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
We've started doing this. I go down to the grocery store early Sunday morning and check out their clearance items (especially meat) and then spend the afternoon cooking up a variety of different things. Tend to buy whole or chicken legs and make stock, shred the cooked chicken and freeze some stock and use the rest to make soup (carrot & Corriander, leek and potato, vegetable etc). It's a very effective way of using the clearance items, I cook up a weeks worth of meals and then either put them in the fridge or freeze them. We still cook from scratch during the week but it saves us from going out when we've both had long days and neither of us has the energy to cook from scratch.
and stuff like that transports well for lunches too.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 11:01 pm
Under blue skies

Toilet rolls, tissues, special shampoos, lotions, razor blades, women seem to use far more of it.
Women use more toilet rolls per week, haha yes I suppose I must concede that. But you're saying men don't use as many tissues as women do? I'd say that depends on how allergy or cold-prone either partner is.
And that's before you add the absurdly priced make-up. Very pleased that my wife rarely uses make-up. It might be just the women in my family and my wife's family (none of whom are the kind to bother significantly with their appearances) but I'm guessing you just aren't a typical woman. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact I'd prefer my wife to be more like you!
Yes, I'd be lying if I tried to say I'm a typical woman in spending on toiletries. I'm fanatically frugal, first of all, and very suspicious of commercial hype & propaganda (especially when it's got a "gender" type of agenda). Plus I've always had skin that can't take all the usual perfumes & additives in those ridiculously "girly" cosmetics. For years & years my moisturizer has been ordinary extra virgin olive oil from the supermarket & I use baby shampoo on my hair, which my husband is happy enough to share with me. He's not fussy toiletry-wise either, thank goodness.

But as for razors & blades: unless you have a beard, don't you actually spend more on these than your wife does?? Even the 'girliest' girls don't shave every day the way many/most men do....
---------------

I have to laugh, because this thread is starting to remind me of one of my poor girlfriends long ago. She had a young daughter from a previous relationship & when they first moved in with her present husband, who had been a long-time bachelor, he was aghast at how much toilet roll "his girls" went through every week. He said they used more loo paper in one week than he used in six months! My friend got quite embarrassed, & asked me how much loo roll I used, he used to make her so paranoid....

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 2nd 2012 at 11:04 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 11:23 pm
Under blue skies

Great tips! I do most of them, actually. I'm all over day old bread & bagels (half-price) & whip them into the freezer for a rainy day. Same with the checking the discounted meat & tins. I've never seen egg mark-downs though. I also check the produce markdowns every day--just wish they wouldn't bind them so tight in cling-film that they squash some of the fruit & veg!

Hmm, $1 per meal pp translates to $27 pp pw. That beats Poppygirl's $35-$40 and Bob's $16-$17 pp pw. (And for two, it would be $54 pp pw.) Good goal, but not sure I can cut it that low. We'll see....

Well...we've cut way down on meat over the years, but just cannot give up milk, cheese & lean dairy like yogurt & cottage cheese. We love our dairy products too much! (The crappy quality of cheese here notwithstanding!) We both developed a dreadful weakness for American ice cream this summer, for which I blame the stupid heatwave. We tried desperately to wean ourselves away from the ice cream onto the italian ice cups, but I'm not sure we managed.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Big time! We can get a decent rub of paprika, curry, etc from either a local Indian or Brazilian grocery store for a buck v $4 at the local regular grocery store.

We also get "utility" seconds for apples at the local apple orchard, these are odd sized apples or they have scars on them. There was a massive hail storm earlier in the summer, so there are loads of apples at the moment, so means we can get a half bushel for $9.50 instead of $25.

Sliced and diced, bagged in the freezer ready to make apple pies, also canned a huge amount of apple sauce that we've got a years supply.

Same for the tomatoes, got a bunch of seconds, so huge tray for $9 instead of $20 and we've got a years supply of pasta sauce canned away.

We've also made a years supply of pepper and chilly jams, strawberry and raspberry jams using a mix of picked and seconds, or stuff from the garden....and a years supply of pickled gerkins. We just tried pickled onions, turned out really well, so we'll make more of those, as those onions are pretty cheap come thanks giving time, but the jar we made cost us 50c in supplies, we already had mason jars, so bargain compared to the $4.50 a jar in the store, though it's cheaper if you go to a Brazilian grocery store, but don't quite taste the same to what we're used to.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But as for razors & blades: unless you have a beard, don't you actually spend more on these than your wife does?? Even the 'girliest' girls don't shave every day the way many/most men do....
I don't know about most people, but I use double edged razor blade and can get 35 blade count on Amazon for $2.50 if I time it right to get free shipping, or it's $4. That's a years supply for me as they're good for a week each, as I dont' shave every day.

One saving the missus has is using cheap shampoo instead of shaving gel as it goes further, much cheaper and works better than that Skintimate stuff she used to use.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:29 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I aim for about $50 per person but it tends to be more along the lines of $75. I've got a wife who doesn't cook and 2 toddlers that don't eat but like to have an all day buffet constantly refreshed. Suffice to say take out gets added on top of that just to get some kind of nourishment in to them.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:15 pm
Under blue skies

Hmm, $1 per meal pp translates to $27 pp pw. That beats Poppygirl's $35-$40 and Bob's $16-$17 pp pw. (And for two, it would be $54 pp pw.)
Oops wow, my math was all out of whack here! $1 per meal actually translates to $21 pp pw, not $27. That beats Poppygirl's total but NOT Bob's. And for two it should be only $42 pw.

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I aim for about $50 per person but it tends to be more along the lines of $75. I've got a wife who doesn't cook and 2 toddlers that don't eat but like to have an all day buffet constantly refreshed. Suffice to say take out gets added on top of that just to get some kind of nourishment in to them.
Spoogledrummer, you say your wife doesn't cook? Do you cook at all then? Trying to imagine how I could keep our bills to $50 pp pw if I didn't cook--some days it seems like I cook ALL THE TIME!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:46 pm
WTF?

For me, and Bob obviously , the most important thing is to take the time to invest in your pantry and freezer. Don't let yourself run out of staples and basic ingredients. Most recipes I use, or new ones I want to try, I'll already have most of what I need on hand. Some weeks all I'll have to buy is a little produce because I have everything else. This makes a big difference when times are tight or if you've had an unexpected expense come up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.