Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:50 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

I suppose this would vary with the part of the USA one lives in, also whether city or countryside, and also what kind of diet one eats....

The husband & I are struggling with budget issues & I'm trying to keep the weekly food shop to around $50 pp pw. Is this reasonable? Some weeks it seems a real struggle & some weeks it's not.

We hardly ever eat out...well, except for when we're travelling, but then the whole budget goes down the toilet anyway. This cost includes some (maybe most) paper products, but not all cleaning stuff (which I shop for separately at Wal-Mart or use coupons). We don't eat much meat & I try to make most of our meals from scratch.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:00 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is 'reasonable' for food shopping pp pw?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I suppose this would vary with the part of the USA one lives in, also whether city or countryside, and also what kind of diet one eats....

The husband & I are struggling with budget issues & I'm trying to keep the weekly food shop to around $50 pp pw. Is this reasonable? Some weeks it seems a real struggle & some weeks it's not.

We hardly ever eat out...well, except for when we're travelling, but then the whole budget goes down the toilet anyway. This cost includes some (maybe most) paper products, but not all cleaning stuff (which I shop for separately at Wal-Mart or use coupons). We don't eat much meat & I try to make most of our meals from scratch.

Any thoughts?
I try and eat lots of greens and fruits along with more complete foods. I am single and groceries w/o wine , supplements, paper products etc for just me run 60 to 70 per week. If I really tried to cut back without to much change I may be able to manage 40 to 50. I'd say you are doing great.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:23 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say you're doing good too.
We're a family of 3 (me, wife and 1 yr old).
We're at about $175/wk right now between us. This does include diapers wipes etc though.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

$50 per week for 2 people is amazing.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I try and eat lots of greens and fruits along with more complete foods. I am single and groceries w/o wine , supplements, paper products etc for just me run 60 to 70 per week. If I really tried to cut back without to much change I may be able to manage 40 to 50. I'd say you are doing great.
Thanks for the encouragement! This $50 cost pp pw doesn't include any alcohol--I don't drink & the Husband has an occasional pint (maybe twice a week?) but I haven't counted that in my total, since that's included in HIS weekly budget. But this reminds me that alcohol is part of our travel expenses, because we usually bring a bottle or two of wine when travelling to see family or friends we often stay with (saving on accomodation), or take the accomodation-providing hosts out to eat and/or drink, which is even more pricey.

And I'd forgotten about supplements too. I tend to buy vitamins & glucosamine along with cleaning supplies at Wal-Mart, or with coupons, or at whichever pharmacy is having a two-for-one.

So I guess my $50 pp pw is just food plus most paper products, nothing else. I do get the feeling that the more people in the household group, the lower you can squeeze the per-person costs. (Though of course the total cost rises.) One person living alone needs one of everything, but two can sometimes share one item.

Originally Posted by Bink
I'd say you're doing good too.
We're a family of 3 (me, wife and 1 yr old).
We're at about $175/wk right now between us. This does include diapers wipes etc though.
Interesting! Little ones tend not to eat much but do work their way through the paper products! So your household spends just under $60 pp pw. That seems reasonable.

I started out spending $70 pp pw when we first arrived, but the husband hit the roof. He thought that was way too much for food, but I'm wondering. The truth is, I'm really struggling to stay within the $50 pp pw figure.

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 30th 2012 at 3:49 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:45 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
$50 per week for 2 people is amazing.
It would be! But no, I mean $50 per person per week, or in other words, $100 per week for the two of us.

When our grown kids or other family members come to visit us, that budget goes haywire of course. But I'm trying to set a baseline amount per person per week for the quiet times when it's just us. (Later I'll tackle the feeding & entertainment costs of guests.) It's not easy, believe me.

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 30th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We are spending about $150 pw week for two adults and one child that includes cleaning products.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family of 5, two adults, two kids and one teenager who inhales food. We spend around $250 per week but we try and buy the all natural types of meat, dairy etc. I find groceries here very expensive and it's a struggle. I'd say $50 per week is amazing!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we spend nearly $100 per week just on ice cream for the two of us.
So, about $110 a week for the total food budget..
Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

We are averaging about $100 per week, but we take advantage of coupons and various deals from supermarkets.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Brando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really nice

We do a bulk of our shopping at Aldi You can't get everything there, but definately all the basics and some more. There is a good produce store next to the one we go to as well, where we can get all the veggies and fruit for pretty cheap.

Usually we spend about $75-85 at Aldi - which includes cleaning stuff when we need it, and anything from $20 - $40 at the produce store (we also buy dried fruit and nuts from that store too).

So a week we can do it for about $50 pp each. And that includes all the stuff for my husbands lunches.

Before he met me, my hubby had no idea about Aldi! I dragged him there when we happened to pass one on our way from shopping somewhere else. Since I moved here, he's a convert, and loves the store.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Any thoughts?
This is entirely reasonable. We eat well on a similar figure. We even buy organic where we feel it is necessary. We don't buy processed food, and I think that's where the big savings are.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

It would be! But no, I mean $50 per person per week, or in other words, $100 per week for the two of us.

When our grown kids or other family members come to visit us, that budget goes haywire of course. But I'm trying to set a baseline amount per person per week for the quiet times when it's just us. (Later I'll tackle the feeding & entertainment costs of guests.) It's not easy, believe me.
Flippen heck girl my weekly shop is about $35 to $40 max and I eat darn well on that!......
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Flippen heck girl my weekly shop is about $35 to $40 max and I eat darn well on that!......
Share your secret!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brando
We do a bulk of our shopping at Aldi You can't get everything there, but definately all the basics and some more. There is a good produce store next to the one we go to as well, where we can get all the veggies and fruit for pretty cheap.

Usually we spend about $75-85 at Aldi - which includes cleaning stuff when we need it, and anything from $20 - $40 at the produce store (we also buy dried fruit and nuts from that store too).

So a week we can do it for about $50 pp each. And that includes all the stuff for my husbands lunches.

Before he met me, my hubby had no idea about Aldi! I dragged him there when we happened to pass one on our way from shopping somewhere else. Since I moved here, he's a convert, and loves the store.
I love Aldi too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.