Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What pre-occupies and motivates ordinary Americans?

What pre-occupies and motivates ordinary Americans?

Old Jan 13th 2005, 2:22 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What pre-occupies and motivates ordinary Americans?

Originally Posted by Duncs
WORK CONSUME WORK CONSUME WORK CONSUME WORK CONSUME WORK CONSUME...
Somewhere between all that work and consuming, there is also quite a bit of fornicating. I doubt that is much differant here than anywhere else though.

One other thing to mention would be many of our interest in saving for retirement- so that we don't have to work, and can travel, take it easy and enjoy the grandkids.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them are motivated by the American Dream....pretend you have loads of stuff, nice car, big house, boat etc....but really you are in debt up to your eyeballs and its all a front - I should imagine some of them secretly wish they had "downsized" the dream before they got themselves into so much financial shit!

Secondly, going hand in hand with the first part, fame is big on the agenda for a lot of Americans, a wish to be living it up with Tom Cruise and all of that gang. This one is particularly applicable in California, where all the people (in my experience) are choppers and are always talking about how their mum's cousin's best friends sister is good buddies with some obscure movie star...whoopy do, you fake LA weirdos!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:46 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Starting today (Wed 12th Jan at 3pm ET) on the BBC World Service is a series called "The State of the Union" where the journalist visits a turkey farm, attends a service at the world's biggest gay and lesbian church, goes on border patrol and stays on a cowboy ranch.
Yeah, real "typical" -- if you live on a turkey farm, or are a member of the world's biggest gay and lesbian church, or your job is controlling the US border, or are a cowboy.

This sounds just about as revealing as all those surveys taken in which 1,036 Americans are polled about this, that and the other and the results are presented as fact. Never mind that the population is around 280 million. I will honestly never understand how people think that a population this large and diverse can be pigeon-holed into anything defined as "typical" or "ordinary".

~ Jenney
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jenney & Mark I will honestly never understand how people think that a population this large and diverse can be pigeon-holed into anything defined as "typical" or "ordinary".

~ Jenney[/QUOTE]

Me either. And you know what is really scary to me.....is that my MIL is going to probably watch this program and will think its spot on factual because the BBC did it.

As I said, its racist tv at its best.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
As I said, its racist tv at its best.
Just kack tv really...but least the will got canned....
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:51 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
but at least The Will got canned....
It did? The missus and I saw the trailer for that and our jaws were both on the floor. Every time we think reality TV has plumbed the depths of tastelessness, they come out with something worse.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
It did? The missus and I saw the trailer for that and our jaws were both on the floor. Every time we think reality TV has plumbed the depths of tastelessness, they come out with something worse.
yeah, apparantly after the opening show hardly got 2M viewers or somin' stupid...as for the daddy show, there were a couple more episodes in the pipeline, but they are on hold depending how the first episode goes....but that's pretty low ain't it...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

OK what about....... (Think Malibu, California).........

Flirt,engaged, big diamond, marriage, divorce. Keep house and get alimony.......
Flirt, engaged, bigger diamond, Marriage, Divorce, Get car , House and larger alimony...
Flirt, engaged, even bigger diamond, Marriage, Divorce, Get cars , Houses and larger alimony...
Flirt, engaged, whopper of a diamond, Marriage, Divorce, Get cars , Houses and larger alimony with million dollar lump sum, and servants....

Write a book about how to succeed in your marriage and make millions...

Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
OK what about....... (Think Malibu, California).........

Flirt,engaged, big diamond, marriage, divorce. Keep house and get alimony.......
Flirt, engaged, bigger diamond, Marriage, Divorce, Get car , House and larger alimony...
Flirt, engaged, even bigger diamond, Marriage, Divorce, Get cars , Houses and larger alimony...
Flirt, engaged, whopper of a diamond, Marriage, Divorce, Get cars , Houses and larger alimony with million dollar lump sum, and servants....

Write a book about how to succeed in your marriage and make millions...

I think you omitted to mention the numerous plastic surgeries and crack habit...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think you omitted to mention the numerous plastic surgeries and crack habit...
price these days, that's a lot of drugs then
Old Jan 14th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
price these days, that's a lot of drugs then

A lot of husbands to pay you mean....

I knew a woman who had married 5 times... She had matching earings from hubby 1 and 2. A pendant from number 3, a larger pendant from number 4 and hadn't decided what she would do with number five yet... I mean the diamond not the hubby. She had already divorced him for prospective number 6....!!!!!
She had kicked the drug habit after number 2 who supposedly abused her. The plastic surgery was an ongoing thing though...

Oh and I almost added the drugs and plastic surgery to the last post but thought it may seem a little OTT... ROFLMAO!!!!

Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought painkillers were the 'in' drug with the soccer mum set. Or am I watching too much Oprah?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
...This sounds just about as revealing as all those surveys taken in which 1,036 Americans are polled about this, that and the other and the results are presented as fact...
Remember statistics 101? The standard normal distribution...