Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast

What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast

Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:16 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast

I have to make something for the Thanksgiving Buffet Feast at my daughters school next week, I ticked dessert.

It is supposed to be something that we would traditionally eat at holidays in our home country.

What do you think would go down well?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast

Originally Posted by N1cky
I have to make something for the Thanksgiving Buffet Feast at my daughters school next week, I ticked dessert.

It is supposed to be something that we would traditionally eat at holidays in our home country.

Go to Safeway, buy fairy cakes take them out of the wrapper put them in a tub, sorted!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:26 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to say that I'm very pleased that a school still wants people to bring in things they made at home. So many places seem to be so afraid of being sued that they won't let anything but store-bought through their doors.

If you can find a way to make mince pies taste good, that might be a good one!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem Dd's is next Wednesday and I have no idea. You'd think this was my first kid wouldn't you?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:38 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get any mince pies or a Christmas pud, then maybe an apple crumble. Simple enough to make.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's easy...an empty plate, we don't do Thanksgiving
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Go to Safeway, buy fairy cakes take them out of the wrapper put them in a tub, sorted!
That's what I usually do, but as I am at home more I thought I would make the effort

Originally Posted by avanutria
I just want to say that I'm very pleased that a school still wants people to bring in things they made at home. So many places seem to be so afraid of being sued that they won't let anything but store-bought through their doors.

If you can find a way to make mince pies taste good, that might be a good one!
I did think about mincepies, they are selling jars of mincemeat in the local supermarket. I hate mince pies though, and hate making something I don't like.

Originally Posted by Bob
Well that's easy...an empty plate, we don't do Thanksgiving
It didn't say TG it said something you eat on holidays. Could take Hot Cross Buns I guess
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Trifle? I went to an event where a Greek person had made a trifle and the Americans were very intigued by it. Her custard hadn't set and it was pretty disgusting though.

Strawberries and cream? Say it's for Wimbledon.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:28 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second the trifle (my american inlaws love it, and always scoff the lot in one sitting - I like leftovers) but its a maybe bit messy for school...?

Send in some chipolatas - that always raises a smile when I put them on the table with the turkey...."breakfast links"?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Trifle? I went to an event where a Greek person had made a trifle and the Americans were very intigued by it. Her custard hadn't set and it was pretty disgusting though.

Strawberries and cream? Say it's for Wimbledon.
That's a good idea

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'd second the trifle (my american inlaws love it, and always scoff the lot in one sitting - I like leftovers) but its a maybe bit messy for school...?

Send in some chipolatas - that always raises a smile when I put them on the table with the turkey...."breakfast links"?
I could do little individual trifles in those little plastic pots
Old Nov 19th 2010, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

blue_blanket is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm new here and actually I think I'm supposed to stay over in the Europe Section. But I saw the USA section and thought I would have a look.

If they simply want you to send in something you would traditionally have at the holidays, send in a bottle or two of Champagne. Tell them it's New Year's!

(Sorry, I'll go back to my assigned section now. )
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea

I could do little individual trifles in those little plastic pots
Thats a good idea....whens recycling day? You can go and raid all your neighbors bins....either that or theres a lot of apple sauce in your future...
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

How about gingerbread, you could make a loaf and pre-slice it or a big slab of sticky toffee pudding?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think most kids aren't going to like mince pies.... If you look up pumpkin desserts for kids, you might find something simple to do... I have taken a boxed spice cake mix and mixed it with canned pumpkin and threw on some cream cheese frosting with good results.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/Tips/Tip...10_CTA_dessert
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:13 pm

I wouldn't have said pumpkin pies were typical of a dessert in our home country...although nor are my suggestion of sausages ! Oops...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.