British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-make-school-thanksgiving-feast-694070/)

N1cky Nov 18th 2010 11:16 pm

What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast

I have to make something for the Thanksgiving Buffet Feast at my daughters school next week, I ticked dessert.

It is supposed to be something that we would traditionally eat at holidays in our home country.

What do you think would go down well?

traceym Nov 18th 2010 11:17 pm

Re: What to make for School Thanksgiving Feast

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8990650)
I have to make something for the Thanksgiving Buffet Feast at my daughters school next week, I ticked dessert.

It is supposed to be something that we would traditionally eat at holidays in our home country.

Go to Safeway, buy fairy cakes take them out of the wrapper put them in a tub, sorted! ;)

avanutria Nov 18th 2010 11:26 pm

I just want to say that I'm very pleased that a school still wants people to bring in things they made at home. So many places seem to be so afraid of being sued that they won't let anything but store-bought through their doors.

If you can find a way to make mince pies taste good, that might be a good one!

Mummy in the foothills Nov 18th 2010 11:28 pm

I have the same problem Dd's is next Wednesday and I have no idea. You'd think this was my first kid wouldn't you?

zargof Nov 18th 2010 11:38 pm

If you can't get any mince pies or a Christmas pud, then maybe an apple crumble. Simple enough to make.

Bob Nov 19th 2010 12:00 am

Well that's easy...an empty plate, we don't do Thanksgiving :D

N1cky Nov 19th 2010 12:29 am

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8990655)
Go to Safeway, buy fairy cakes take them out of the wrapper put them in a tub, sorted! ;)

That's what I usually do, but as I am at home more I thought I would make the effort:unsure:

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 8990683)
I just want to say that I'm very pleased that a school still wants people to bring in things they made at home. So many places seem to be so afraid of being sued that they won't let anything but store-bought through their doors.

If you can find a way to make mince pies taste good, that might be a good one!

I did think about mincepies, they are selling jars of mincemeat in the local supermarket. I hate mince pies though, and hate making something I don't like.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8990746)
Well that's easy...an empty plate, we don't do Thanksgiving :D

It didn't say TG it said something you eat on holidays. Could take Hot Cross Buns I guess:D

Sally Redux Nov 19th 2010 2:07 am

Trifle? I went to an event where a Greek person had made a trifle and the Americans were very intigued by it. Her custard hadn't set and it was pretty disgusting though.

Strawberries and cream? Say it's for Wimbledon.

Yorkieabroad Nov 19th 2010 3:28 am

I'd second the trifle (my american inlaws love it, and always scoff the lot in one sitting - I like leftovers:frown:) but its a maybe bit messy for school...?

Send in some chipolatas - that always raises a smile when I put them on the table with the turkey...."breakfast links"?

N1cky Nov 19th 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8990975)
Trifle? I went to an event where a Greek person had made a trifle and the Americans were very intigued by it. Her custard hadn't set and it was pretty disgusting though.

Strawberries and cream? Say it's for Wimbledon.

That's a good idea

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 8991058)
I'd second the trifle (my american inlaws love it, and always scoff the lot in one sitting - I like leftovers:frown:) but its a maybe bit messy for school...?

Send in some chipolatas - that always raises a smile when I put them on the table with the turkey...."breakfast links"?

I could do little individual trifles in those little plastic pots:unsure:

blue_blanket Nov 19th 2010 5:24 am

Hi, I'm new here and actually I think I'm supposed to stay over in the Europe Section. But I saw the USA section and thought I would have a look.

If they simply want you to send in something you would traditionally have at the holidays, send in a bottle or two of Champagne. Tell them it's New Year's!

(Sorry, I'll go back to my assigned section now. :) )

Yorkieabroad Nov 19th 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8991151)
That's a good idea

I could do little individual trifles in those little plastic pots:unsure:

Thats a good idea....whens recycling day? You can go and raid all your neighbors bins....either that or theres a lot of apple sauce in your future...:D

ChocolateBabz Nov 19th 2010 12:47 pm

How about gingerbread, you could make a loaf and pre-slice it or a big slab of sticky toffee pudding?

AmerLisa Nov 19th 2010 1:28 pm

I think most kids aren't going to like mince pies.... If you look up pumpkin desserts for kids, you might find something simple to do... I have taken a boxed spice cake mix and mixed it with canned pumpkin and threw on some cream cheese frosting with good results. :)

http://www.bettycrocker.com/Tips/Tip...10_CTA_dessert

Yorkieabroad Nov 19th 2010 4:13 pm

I wouldn't have said pumpkin pies were typical of a dessert in our home country...although nor are my suggestion of sausages ! Oops...