Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it like living in Cape Coral, Florida area?

What is it like living in Cape Coral, Florida area?

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really nice
Default What is it like living in Cape Coral, Florida area?

When we get approved for my hubby's Immigrant Visa from London, we will be living in Cape Coral area. We love Florida, but haven't lived there yet. My folks do but I've never lived there. Anyone have anything to say about it?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it like living in Cape Coral, Florida area?

Florida has come up a lot in the past, not sure specifically about the Cape though, but I think it has had a mention or two.

city-data.com is a good place to go check out specifics though
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Hmmmmm, how to put this?? If you are used to having a decent social life, going down the pub, disco etc you are gonna hate Cape Coral. Originally designed to be a retirement town it is full of older people, it's as flat as a pancake and they removed most of the trees when the built the place.

According to local legend it has more canals the Venice, Itlay.
It doesn't have a real downtown, then neither do most american cities AFAIK.
It was at the epicenter of the US housing meltdown therefore houses can be had cheap as there are thousands of them up for sale.
I lived there for a year when I 1st came to the states 15 years ago, I now live across the river in the slightly (but not much) better Fort Myers. Cape Coral is no better now than it was 15 years ago, just more empty houses!

But the weather is great for about 3 months out of the year

Need any other info? Just ask

Roy
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:08 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Its OK as a town for vacation/retirement/easy way of life.
We went there in 02 & had a nice time.

There are some other nice areas surrounding CC, but they're very expensive/exclusive, like Captiva island & Sanibel (very beautiful and quiet).

The whole point (I think) of this town is to enjoy a life with boating & water-related activities, so if you aren't interested in this, its a waste of time being there as there's very little else going on.

Fort Myers is bigger and has more of a mix of life but we didn't spend any time there.

Lots of property scams and tricks in Florida, so tread very carefully you intend to buy.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

jambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by explorerman
Hmmmmm, how to put this?? If you are used to having a decent social life, going down the pub, disco etc you are gonna hate Cape Coral. Originally designed to be a retirement town it is full of older people, it's as flat as a pancake and they removed most of the trees when the built the place.

It was at the epicenter of the US housing meltdown therefore houses can be had cheap as there are thousands of them up for sale.
I lived there for a year when I 1st came to the states 15 years ago, I now live across the river in the slightly (but not much) better Fort Myers. Cape Coral is no better now than it was 15 years ago, just more empty houses!

Roy
Just to add a few more negatives
Urban sprawl is rampant,traffic is chaotic, heat and humidity could have you looking forward to winter..
I'll second City-Data forums as another good resource for Florida info, however do keep on topic and watch what you say as their moderators do seem to enjoy banning people for the most trivial of reasons.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really niceTracy_UK is just really nice

Ok, Well we already own a home there. Have been renting it out earning more capital for our return to the States. We love the Gulf side so much better than the Atlantic side. Actually, from what we have seen, Cape Coral is the ideal place for us then. We're defo not party/nightlife people. A nice quiet retirement place sounds great compared to living in the London area that we have been living near. Sounds actually like heaven to me .
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

It is full of coffin-dodgers. The median age is about a thousand.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracy_UK
Ok, Well we already own a home there. Have been renting it out earning more capital for our return to the States. We love the Gulf side so much better than the Atlantic side. Actually, from what we have seen, Cape Coral is the ideal place for us then. We're defo not party/nightlife people. A nice quiet retirement place sounds great compared to living in the London area that we have been living near. Sounds actually like heaven to me .
Why didn't you say that in your opening post?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why didn't you say that in your opening post?
She did say 'we will be living in..' .. ??
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

I was trying to see what it was like to actually live there, as I've never lived there in Florida ever. We may own the house but I was trying to just find out a little insight of what others may think of it. I've done some research and it seems that it is a beautiful place to live, and I do see loads of things that will interest myself and my husband to do.

Sorry for the confusion with my thread title.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:47 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jambo101
as their moderators do seem to enjoy banning people for the most trivial of reasons.
Like here then.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
She did say 'we will be living in..' .. ??
Not the same.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volt61
Like here then.
Originally Posted by Volt61
Not the same.
You do seem to have a problem. Please take it up in private message with Admin (Sue).
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:02 pm
Banned

No, it only seems that I do.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:50 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by explorerman

Roy
I live in Cape Coral. The above is correct. It's ****ing shit here

Edit: Except for the local British club, we're bloody great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.