Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What im loving/not loving about visiting UK

What im loving/not loving about visiting UK

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What im loving/not loving about visiting UK

Originally Posted by Suexpat
I dont find UK clothes expensive unless you buy in a outlet store in the US. The quality is so much better as well.
The same retailer I have patronized for many years because of their garment sizes and quality, sell exactly the same product for the same number of GBP in the UK as USD in the US

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
We found eating out in the UK very good value when we were over in March, 2 hot ham and cheese croissants and a cup of coffee was only £10 in BHS, .......
How is 2 baked bread servings and a coffee for £10 ($16) considered good value? ..... Where do you usually get a coffee and a baked snack in the US.... Starbucks? .... Even there I could buy two (grossly overpriced) baked products and a 20oz steamed milk coffee for less than $10! .... The cafe near my office sells baked products for $1-$2, and a 20oz coffee for $2.50.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:05 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What is this?

Google says something about taking clothes away ready for you when you want to try them on. Is that right?
Yes, so when you pick things up to try on an assistant takes them to a changing room for you, while you continue browsing. Makes looking at other things much easier, when you aren't carrying 8 things to try on.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The same retailer I have patronized for many years because of their garment sizes and quality, sell exactly the same product for the same number of GBP in the UK as USD in the US

How is 2 baked bread servings and a coffee for £10 ($16) considered good value? ..... Where do you usually get a coffee and a baked snack in the US.... Starbucks? .... Even there I could buy two (grossly overpriced) baked products and a 20oz steamed milk coffee for less than $10! .... The cafe near my office sells baked products for $1-$2, and a 20oz coffee for $2.50.
I would love to know what retailer that is as I have found the opposite. Plus I dont want a 20oz coffee and 2 baked products full of sugar.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
I would love to know what retailer that is as I have found the opposite. Plus I dont want a 20oz coffee and 2 baked products full of sugar.
Neither do I, but that doesn't explain why you think £10 is good value for a(n apparently small) coffee and two baked products!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
I do agree that service isn't as wonderful as most people originally think in US - I have worked in the service industry for years and I think its just lip service. Good customer service means using certain words - please and thank you would help, and actually knowing what your customers want.
More than just words. The service in the USA is more focused on better service and the correction and compensation for mistakes, rather than just saying sorry.

4 of us ate out here once and one meal didnt get brought out for a while and when it came out everyone else had finished eating. All our meals were free (drinks and tips I paid though). Can you imagine getting that kind of compenstion in the UK. The manager came over apologised and was generally interested in explaining how it was a one off mistake and that he would like to see us back in the future.

Originally Posted by becks_r
So there are pockets of good service - packing your groceries for you is great, but it does mean such a waste with the amount of plastic bags they use.
No it does not mean you have to waste plastic bags. We always use reusable bags which we carry in the car. No one has ever said that they can't use them and that we can only pack using our plastic ones. Its easier to pack the big re-useable ones and you get better packing with them.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:35 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What is this?

Google says something about taking clothes away ready for you when you want to try them on. Is that right?
Yes. When a woman is wandering around with an armful of prospective purchases, a shop assistant will offer to start a room and hang them up in there while she continues to browse. I've noticed this in the UK as well though.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Neither do I, but that doesn't explain why you think £10 is good value for a(n apparently small) coffee and two baked products!
On the other hand, the £3.99 carvery sounds like a winner
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
And I'll agree about US wait staff waiting till you have a mouth full to ask if you are enjoying your meal, I have been pestered so many times in the past that I now ask them to leave us to eat our meals in peace.
Think of it from the servers point of view. He/she has got to approach a table of maybe 6 people, instantly figure out if anyone has anything in their mouth, then figure out when to ask if you are enjoying your meal. Would you rather the server came up and stood by your table and wait for this syncronization to happen? Besides a nod of the head or not complaing or commenting when they ask then they are usually on their way.

Normally i only get asked once normally just a while after the food is brought out. I've never been pestered so many times by it at all.

I think this is more a case of good old British pettiness
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Think of it from the servers point of view. He/she has got to approach a table of maybe 6 people, instantly figure out if anyone has anything in their mouth, then figure out when to ask if you are enjoying your meal. Would you rather the server came up and stood by your table and wait for this syncronization to happen? Besides a nod of the head or not complaing or commenting when they ask then they are usually on their way.

Normally i only get asked once normally just a while after the food is brought out. I've never been pestered so many times by it at all.

I think this is more a case of good old British pettiness
You certainly dont live in Texas. If I was only asked once I would be happy.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
On the other hand, the £3.99 carvery sounds like a winner
When the cost gets too low i worry about the quality.

Am I getting beef or horse
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

When the cost gets too low i worry about the quality.

Am I getting beef or horse
As long as I don't get put out of commission with chronic shits the next day, I'd consider it a success, at that price, whatever the meat
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:49 pm

Am I getting beef or horse.
Damn you, that was my joke!

I suspect that some carveries see the food as a way to sell 2-3 beers or wines per head, and a couple of coffees to boot, and make a tidy margin on the overall meal.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Damn you, that was my joke!

I suspect that some carveries see the food as a way to sell 2-3 beers or wines per head, and a couple of coffees to boot, and make a tidy margin on the overall meal.
Oh aye, back in my free and single days, I'd probably stick around for a skinful after having my carvery meal ...
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:55 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

More than just words. The service in the USA is more focused on better service and the correction and compensation for mistakes, rather than just saying sorry.

4 of us ate out here once and one meal didnt get brought out for a while and when it came out everyone else had finished eating. All our meals were free (drinks and tips I paid though). Can you imagine getting that kind of compenstion in the UK. The manager came over apologised and was generally interested in explaining how it was a one off mistake and that he would like to see us back in the future.

No it does not mean you have to waste plastic bags. We always use reusable bags which we carry in the car. No one has ever said that they can't use them and that we can only pack using our plastic ones. Its easier to pack the big re-useable ones and you get better packing with them.
The main difference for me is I can't ever remember going out for a meal in UK and not getting all the meals at the same time, but I have had exactly the compensation you say in the UK, as in the whole meal free due to problems, so it isn't unheard of.

I was recently at a hotel in US with a group of people and not only did it take half an hour for the waiter to come back and say our wine choice was no longer available, but 2 meals didn't turn up when all the others did, no apology, no explanation and a fight to get money off the bill.

My other main gripe about restaurants in US is the way they rarely wait for you to finish the starters before they bring the main course, rush you to finish the food and bring the bill way too early. I have never had that type of service in UK, it seems even expensive restaurants in US act like fast food places.

But I am sure someone will come back with examples of good service in UK and equally good in US. I personally think where companies have got to know their customers really well and know what their customers believe is good service, they then deliver great service.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that really gets me when eating out in the U.S. is having to add around 25% on top of the bill for tax and tip, doesn't look so cheap then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.