Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What the heck do I do at a 3 or 4 way stop junction??

What the heck do I do at a 3 or 4 way stop junction??

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Red face What the heck do I do at a 3 or 4 way stop junction??

I know I face ridicule and possible deportation for asking this question - but what on earth are these junctions all about? And who do I yield to or not...?

I had experienced them before on golf resorts in Orlando but on the basis that everyone else was probably as English as me, I think everyone got by confident in the knowledge that they weren't sure whether they'd gone at the right time or not.

Now... we are moving into a neighbourhood that's full of them and I can't figure it out. My realtor says that you yield to anyone who's coming from your right but I have a feeling that it must be from the left. How many do you let go - just one?

Better figure it out before the new driving test...

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:26 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What the heck do I do at a 3 or 4 way stop junction??

It is a first come, first served basis at stop signs. So if you arrive at the stop sign and there are already 3 cars at their respective stop signs, they go before you. If you get there and there are 2 there already, they go before you and so on. If you pull up to a stop sign at the same time someone does to one of the other stop signs, you close your eyes and hope you put your foot down quicker than they do! Get yourself a Texas Handbook and that will start to prep you for the test.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:26 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
I know I face ridicule and possible deportation for asking this question - but what on earth are these junctions all about? And who do I yield to or not...?

I had experienced them before on golf resorts in Orlando but on the basis that everyone else was probably as English as me, I think everyone got by confident in the knowledge that they weren't sure whether they'd gone at the right time or not.

Now... we are moving into a neighbourhood that's full of them and I can't figure it out. My realtor says that you yield to anyone who's coming from your right but I have a feeling that it must be from the left. How many do you let go - just one?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Doug.
Your realtor is showing the characteristic intelligence that has made the profession famous!

You just take turns. It's not difficult. The first person to stop at the junction is the first to go. If you arrive and there are three cars at the intersection, you wait for them to cross the intersection, then it's your turn. If you come to a (complete) stop a fraction of a second before someone else, you have priority over them.

First in, first out. Simple. Next question?

Answer: I find that removing their head with a cricket bat (see: Shaun of the Dead) is the only way to be sure a Realtor won't revive to spout more bollocks advice.

p.s. remind me to keep the hell off any roads driven by your f***ing realtor! I bet she drives a Lincoln Nutri-gator or a Cadillac Escapade.

p.p.s. Isn't Fatbrit a Realtor?

Last edited by dbj1000; Jun 2nd 2009 at 3:46 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember what the actual rule is, but round these parts the first person to the stop sign goes first, then the next, and so on.
You'd better read up on the correct answer before your test, and don't tell them what I said!

And here's another test tip, don't ignore the bits in the drivers manual that apply to teenagers taking the test, I got a couple of questions about teen drivers on the multiple choice thing.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:29 am

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Answer: I find that removing their head with a cricket bat (see: Shaun of the Dead) is the only way to be sure a Realtor won't revive to spout more bollocks advice.
Seconded.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all - except I just pi$$ed myself laughing. I guess the first two near-death experiences in the realtor's car should have been enough of a clue...

Doug.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:41 am

Uh oh
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

My realtor says that you yield to anyone who's coming from your right but I have a feeling that it must be from the left. How many do you let go - just one?
Follow the first in, first out rule others have called out. If there are many cars all stopped at once, you do yield to the car to your right.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:45 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - except I just pi$$ed myself laughing. I guess the first two near-death experiences in the realtor's car should have been enough of a clue...

Doug.
So go on, tell us what the Realtor drives?!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

It's an ancient Chevy Suburban - the miracle is that it has lasted this long...
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:52 am
Arrogant ****

It's an ancient Chevy Suburban - the miracle is that it has lasted this long...
Ah. I'm building the mental picture here. Does she apply makeup with a trowel? Smell faintly of tequila? Point out all the local churches? Get lost frequently?

...or perhaps that was just ours?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Just soiled another set of underwear. I think it could be the very same... Ours has a tendency to quite clearly zero in on the property she likes the most and then quiz you in a stifling non-air-conditioned home until you decide that's the one you like too. Techniques that could only have been acquired by a former inquisitor from Camp XRay.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:12 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. I'm building the mental picture here. Does she apply makeup with a trowel? Smell faintly of tequila? Point out all the local churches? Get lost frequently?

...or perhaps that was just ours?
oh yes! you had our one to? CT does she move around?
Actually just trying out my new signature to see if it working..my realtor kept pointing out churches, but also got us drunk on no less than 4 occasions, last one (before we got drunk) our home now.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

No, he's not!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:36 am
Banned

loveandlaughter is an unknown quantity at this point

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Doug.
LOL, if you can't figure this out, please don't even attempt to use the Interstate. At least not while I'm on it! I nearly die going to work every day as it is. It's dog eat dog out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.