Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Festival does your town have?

What Festival does your town have?

Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Festival does your town have?

http://www.avonducttapefestival.com/main.html
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:21 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Huntsville we have three major festivals. The first is "Panoply" which is geared mainly to kids. It's the last weekend of April and runs Friday afternoon through Sunday. They have various stages where local groups perform during the day which are various clubs and groups for kids. There are also a lot of interactive things for the kids to do. They have an area called "Kids Art Yard" of which I am a co chair of one of the activities. Kids Art Yard had 100 difference activities the kids can do from making working clocks with CD's, key chains, face painting, making hats, stained glass etc. What makes the festival unique is that 95% of the people that put it together are volunteers and don't get paid for their time. The activity I am co chair of needs almost 200 volunteers for the weekend. Last year we had over 2,000 kids through our tent over the weekend. Most of the suppllies we used are donated by people in the town or purchased from funds raised from other events. Currently we are raiding all the stores of AOL CD's for the Disco Clock activity.

The second major festival is "Oktoberfest" which happens over a weekend in the Summer and takes place on the military base but is open to the public. I have never been but I understand it's pretty good.

The third major festival is "Big Spring Jam" which takes place in September but gets it name from the Park where it is held. This is a three day music festival for adults and in the past have had some really good groups take part as well as some I thought had died years ago. This can be a good festival if you love all types of music because for $30.00 you can stay there all weekend.

There are several other small festivals around during the year but these are the major ones.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:35 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Strawberries....Next weekend
Old Feb 26th 2006, 4:35 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Thydney
Strawberries....Next weekend
Strawberry picking the highlight of my british summers...

We have absolutley rubbish here the usual mem day, thanksgiving, st paddys.

we have an Irish festival and a scottish festival (by the way had to laugh they sang the American anthem and God save the Queen..) I was quite offended... MY hubs is Scottish and I am English... one good thing got a case of Irn Bru ....
Old Feb 26th 2006, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

A local big one near us is The Great Texas Mosquito Festival held in July every year. You really don't need to go to a festival to come in contact with the mean buggers in this part of Texas
Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

In this town we have the "Woodsmans festival".

Basically everybody get's blind drunk on pissy beer, drive their pick up trucks drunk from bar to bar, try to have sex with anything with a pulse and try to fight anything with facial hair (which can also include some women).

The added bonus is if there's a foreigner in town that they can all gang up and at first try to verbally intimidate and when that fails (due to too much alcohol and too little intelligence) there's always the option of trying to goad the said foreigner into losing his temper by saying such things as
"Why don't you English get out of..er...Docklands...and give it back to the..er hmm...the er....Dockish?

This festival happends every Friday and Saturday night.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:45 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

we have a goetta festival

Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
In this town we have the "Woodsmans festival".

Basically everybody get's blind drunk on pissy beer, drive their pick up trucks drunk from bar to bar, try to have sex with anything with a pulse and try to fight anything with facial hair (which can also include some women).

The added bonus is if there's a foreigner in town that they can all gang up and at first try to verbally intimidate and when that fails (due to too much alcohol and too little intelligence) there's always the option of trying to goad the said foreigner into losing his temper by saying such things as
"Why don't you English get out of..er...Docklands...and give it back to the..er hmm...the er....Dockish?

This festival happends every Friday and Saturday night.
You're the leader, right?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:47 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm goetta
not sure it deserves an entire festival though
Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You're the leader, right?
Did you actually read my post or are you on one of your usual "I wanna look stupid" missions?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Our area has quite a few festivals. During the winter we have an ice carving fesitval and chilli cook-off. In the spring Mackinac Island has its famous Lilac Festival, and in summer its time for Sztuka! which is a Polish festival that lasts a couple of days with amazing food and Ooompah and Polka bands.

fun fun fun !
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Did you actually read my post or are you on one of your usual "I wanna look stupid" missions?

I was going with this little snippet ....."town that they can all gang up and at first try to verbally intimidate and when that fails (due to too much alcohol and too little intelligence) there's always the option of trying to goad the said foreigner into losing his temper by saying......."

If the shoe fits ("I wanna look stupid") then of course.....wear it.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I was going with this little snippet ....."town that they can all gang up and at first try to verbally intimidate and when that fails (due to too much alcohol and too little intelligence) there's always the option of trying to goad the said foreigner into losing his temper by saying......."

If the shoe fits ("I wanna look stupid") then of course.....wear it.
At least your secure in the knowledge that you know WTF your talking about.

As a piece of advice, if you want to just refer to one particular part of a post it might be a good idea to highlight it instead of you looking the pratt again.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At least your secure in the knowledge that you know WTF your talking about.

As a piece of advice, if you want to just refer to one particular part of a post it might be a good idea to highlight it instead of you looking the pratt again.

Ah yes, your "infamous red highlights" Sorry, I'm not into changing other people's words and then highlighting them in red.....prat indeedy.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:11 pm
stara koka masna juha

no one cares about goetta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.