What is expensive?

What is expensive?

Old May 9th 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

jimcheal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What is expensive?

Hi all you wonderful dream fulfillers.

We are moving to the states in a few months. Can anyone give us
some information on what is expensive out there compared to the UK. Stuff that we can take with us. I'm not talking about tea bags. You know general things sucha s furniture, clothes etc

Jim
Old May 10th 2003, 1:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is expensive?

Originally posted by jimcheal

some information on what is expensive out there compared to the UK. Stuff that we can take with us. I'm not talking about tea bags. You know general things sucha s furniture, clothes etc

Jim
Everything is cheaper!

..... except bread and plasma screen TV's
Old May 10th 2003, 2:31 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Everything is cheaper!

..... except bread and plasma screen TV's

and beds, and car insurance, and house insurance, paint, lawnmowers, telephone bills, garden hoses, gardening tools, milk, veggies, fruit, ladders.......

in fact the only things cheaper are CD's, DVD's, cycles, white goods, cars, petrol, clothes and some food goods. Eating out is generally cheaper aswell.

Don't beleive the hype - at the end of the month you will spend the equivalent, the main difference is your pay is normally more over here (less deductions for medical insurance and you pay more income tax) so you have more disposable cash. I would try and take as much as possible and replace stuff gradually
Old May 10th 2003, 3:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
and beds, and car insurance, and house insurance, paint, lawnmowers, telephone bills, garden hoses, gardening tools, milk, veggies, fruit, ladders....
No, maybe (difficult to compare), no, no, can't compare, no (I'm paying 3.9¢ a minute to the UK), who cares, no, yes (but British supermarkets almost give it away to attract customers), no, no, no idea (don't care - do you buy many ladders?) .....

A rag-bag of things if I ever saw one. Are you comparing like with like? I moved from London to New York (similar, large, cities) and found most things to be a similar price or cheaper, except housing). If you moved from a British back-water to California, Florida, or New York then you'll probably find many things more expensive. I left New York (it's not my kind of city) and moved south.

Many things are much cheaper - eating out, cars, housing (and they're much bigger too). Some groceries may be a little more expensive, but contrary to what Patrick said, I am paid less than I was in the UK, but I am hugely better off due to a combination of lower housing and motoring costs and getting much more for the money I spend too!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 10th 2003 at 3:46 am.
Old May 10th 2003, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I found that spices cost the earth in VA when I was getting them together for a vindaloo. My fiancée & I joked that in the USA you could afford to get to the shop, and in the UK you could afford to go into the shop. Found general food prices to be dearer in the DC area than in the UK.

It depends on where you are in the US I guess.

Cheers
Old May 10th 2003, 8:07 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
No, maybe (difficult to compare), no, no, can't compare, no (I'm paying 3.9¢ a minute to the UK), who cares, no, yes (but British supermarkets almost give it away to attract customers), no, no, no idea (don't care - do you buy many ladders?) .....
Yes - you try and find a decent mattress for under $500 whereas I could buy 2 for $500 in the UK, my car insurance in the UK was £200 fully comp a year - here it is $800, yes, yes, double, I pay $50 a month with bellsouth before I make a call (thats $150 a quarter where as it was £30 a quarter in the UK), people with gardens, yes - spades are about $20, agree, yes, yes, people who don't bring ladders with them from the UK.

I moved from a village outside Cambridge to a small town in NC and (not counting visa bills and car payments) our monthly outgoings are the same as in the UK, yes our house is bigger. Some things are more some things are less but its all much of a muchness month to month.

Of course that wasn't the question, the question was what should they ship over instead of buying new here.
Old May 12th 2003, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in NYC since mid 80's. Most expensive item in USA (Relative to UK) Must be a bed.

$1500 - $2000 (Kingsize) will still get you junk. All man-made fibre padding. Here in NYC, even local Congressman tried without success to find out why so expensive. Adverts, say beat any price. Trouble is manufactures make the same bed for different companies and give beds 50 different names. Hence can't compare prices.

Reg. Frank R.

Makes buying a used car seem easy. No offence to used car dealers.
Old May 12th 2003, 11:50 am

Originally posted by frrussre
I have lived in NYC since mid 80's. Most expensive item in USA (Relative to UK) Must be a bed.

$1500 - $2000 (Kingsize) will still get you junk.
I don't know where you are shopping Frank, but I bought a king size Stearns and Foster, which is the Rolls Royce of mattresses, in White Plains (just north if NYC) at the end of 2001 for $1,600.
Old May 12th 2003, 5:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Jim
The thread has turned to the subject of beds. It's my understanding that bed sizes (and consequently bedding) are not the same size in the UK and US, despite similar or same names.

NC Penguin
Old May 12th 2003, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, bed sizes are different.
Reg. Frank R.

Even 2 sizes of King, California & regular king
Old May 13th 2003, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

some cheap beds

http://www.us-mattress.com/goldenelegance.html

http://www.us-mattress.com/bonnuiteurto.html
Old May 13th 2003, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

jimcheal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

well,
I've got to agree after seeing some of the beds on these websites. Looks like we'll be shipping ours over. I suppose if your going to buy a bed the size of the UK's adverage living room your going to pay $5,000. In fact I might ship a few over and flog 'em.

Jim
Old May 13th 2003, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim, only problem with non USA beds the local bedding will not fit. Idid buy 2 Twin/single beds from IKEA couple of years ago. Seem very good quality & good price. Normally do not like IKEA stuff, but these have turned out to be great value.

Mens & womans, good quality business suits, I find at least double UK price. Ditto top of the line shoes & shirts.
Reg. Frank R.

Back to the original thread: Antiques, art, personal belongings, PC, clothes. Electrical give wide berth, don't bother.

Last edited by frrussre; May 13th 2003 at 12:14 pm.
Old May 13th 2003, 1:13 pm
Pagan Sex God

well,
I've got to agree after seeing some of the beds on these websites. Looks like we'll be shipping ours over. I suppose if your going to buy a bed the size of the UK's adverage living room your going to pay $5,000. In fact I might ship a few over and flog 'em.

Jim
Remember to stuff your shipping with...

Tea bags
English Mustard
Crunchies
Marmite
Nestle's Golden Nuggets
Coloured toilet rolls (they only sell white bog roll - how bohemian)
Tizer
Irn Bru
Decent Beer

Patrick
Old May 13th 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

the issue of coloured toilet rolls, when i first moved here i was suprised that i could only find white toilet rolls until someone explained that coloured toilet rolls play havoc with septic systems (like wot us folks out in the boonies have)
So i guess the nice green andrex my kids bought over for me will just have to remain fond reminders of my colour co-ordinated bathroom back in ole blighty

*sigh* Jan

OP ... remember lots of curry paste (if thats your thing) its nearly impossible to find out here (well in N Michigan it is anyways)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.