Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What exactly is better about the US?

What exactly is better about the US?

Old Nov 5th 2016, 2:03 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What exactly is better about the US?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
no they're not. I have one and all I got was a "we'll let you know what's been decided" Too busy doing cya exercises on the 7's. edited to add that I've just looked on the internet for info since I haven't heard anything from them. Tempted to go for a new machine, this one is now way too big and a front loader would be nice....
Get a Miele. Shame there's only one damn washing model here in the US, but it's still superb.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Mirage88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by US.tax.attorney
This comment hints at a bit of ignorance likely due to a lack of experience and perspective. As a person who grew up in a 3rd world country, I can tell you that it is possible to improve your life situation anywhere, but what is the likelihood? In a typical 3rd world country you have little to no access to loans which means you're severely limited in your advancement. You might not be able to afford college. You may have a brilliant idea but you have no access to small business loans. Your best bet in this type of situation is to save up your meager earnings to send your children to college. I've seen many, many more people move up the ladder in the US than I have elsewhere.

Second, I assume the poster has a modicum of self-awareness. Otherwise, you can't set realistic expectations for yourself. I also assume he has the determination and patience required to take action. Without these traits, you're not going to get anywhere regardless of which country you are in, unless you happen to be born into wealth.
Thanks for the comment on ignorance and lack of experience, I guess I will just ignore the personal attack then lol.. but quite on the contrary I actually find social mobilities and path to successs are better off in developing economies. Given my exposure in ME, North Africa, china and India the people there are a lot more determined and geared up on accumulating wealth and will do everything they can to make that happen and given the less developed economies in nature at those places they do have a better shot at it which backs up your commen on when there's a will there's a way. And it is less competitive for them if lack of a better word. The grant of bank loans I'm not sure as 2/3 of start up funding in the US and EU actually goes to under developed market these days (fact) and, people may have a hard time get into higher education compare to British / American students but that's irrelevant, plenty of high school drop out in all countries self made into millionaires and that's because they had a strong will and eventually they found a way
Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Social mobility in the US is about if you can get from $10/hr to $50/hr. Social mobility in developing countries is about if you can get from 10 cents/hr to 50 cents/hr. I think social mobility is about the same in both.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 4:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Get a Miele. Shame there's only one damn washing model here in the US, but it's still superb.
Their website has three. If I felt moved to buy one I'd save up and not get the cheap one at only $2,000.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by US.tax.attorney
This comment hints at a bit of ignorance likely due to a lack of experience and perspective. As a person who grew up in a 3rd world country, I can tell you that it is possible to improve your life situation anywhere, but what is the likelihood? In a typical 3rd world country you have little to no access to loans which means you're severely limited in your advancement. You might not be able to afford college. You may have a brilliant idea but you have no access to small business loans. Your best bet in this type of situation is to save up your meager earnings to send your children to college. I've seen many, many more people move up the ladder in the US than I have elsewhere.

Second, I assume the poster has a modicum of self-awareness. Otherwise, you can't set realistic expectations for yourself. I also assume he has the determination and patience required to take action. Without these traits, you're not going to get anywhere regardless of which country you are in, unless you happen to be born into wealth.
I can only speak about three states I have done business in, but getting a small business loan is not easy in the USA.

I agree there are means by which people can move up the ladder in the USA that typically may not be available in some 3rd world countries, but also there are also parts of he country where people are steadily falling down the ladder due to trends on the economy and the overall society.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Your taking the Pee surely.

Does one need a University degree to post on BE? Just wondering.
Apparently not.
Hygienist.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I can only speak about three states I have done business in, but getting a small business loan is not easy in the USA.

I agree there are means by which people can move up the ladder in the USA that typically may not be available in some 3rd world countries, but also there are also parts of he country where people are steadily falling down the ladder due to trends on the economy and the overall society.
The number you read varies but 70 to 90 percent of new small businesses in the US fails in first few years.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 4:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Their website has three. If I felt moved to buy one I'd save up and not get the cheap one at only $2,000.
For that money I'd want a dual top and front loader.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

no they're not. I have one and all I got was a "we'll let you know what's been decided" Too busy doing cya exercises on the 7's. edited to add that I've just looked on the internet for info since I haven't heard anything from them. Tempted to go for a new machine, this one is now way too big and a front loader would be nice....
Seems like Samsung are giving a rebate based on Model and Manufacturing date. Just got the email.

Consumers with a recalled washer will be offered two easy choices as part of the recall program.

The first option is a free in-home repair that includes reinforcement of the washer’s top. Consumers who choose the in-home repair will receive a free one-year extension of the manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of the age of their washer. The free in-home repair is not available for mid-control washer at this time.

The second choice is a rebate that can be applied towards the purchase of a new washer from Samsung or other brand washing machine, along with free installation of the new unit and removal of the old unit. The rebate amount is based on the manufacture date and model of the recalled washer. Consumers who choose a Samsung washer will receive an additional loyalty incentive up to $150 toward their new Samsung washer purchase.

As an added safety measure, all known washer owners will also receive a Home Label Kit in the mail. The kit will include a new control panel guide (excluding mid-control models), two warning labels and step-by-step instructions for applying them to the machine, and a user manual supplement.

Additionally, consumers who purchased a recalled washer in the last 30 days of this recall announcement are eligible for a full refund from their original place of purchase.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

There's only one: https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/pr...hines-1565.htm
Old Nov 5th 2016, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Since I lived in France, I really like that everyone speaks English. And customer service here is absolutely fabulous. Compared to France.
This is the website to get a refund or a repair

https://pages.samsung.com/us/tlw/index.html

They offered $495 or a repair and seeing that it's only 6 months old I opted for the repair/modification. It also appears Lowes have stopped selling them. We liked the little sink thing, I believe Samsung are the only manufacturers to have the sink option.

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 6th 2016 at 12:31 am.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 11:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
There are two larger ones, more akin to a standard size US washer, in a different part of the web site.

ETA I found a bunch more, under "Miele professional". Some are clearly far too heavy for most houses, at 750-1450lb, but this one is just about the same weight as our Whirlpool.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 5th 2016 at 11:41 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, these seem to be made for the US market only as they have hot and cold fill.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are two larger ones, more akin to a standard size US washer, in a different part of the web site.

ETA I found a bunch more, under "Miele professional". Some are clearly far too heavy for most houses, at 750-1450lb, but this one is just about the same weight as our Whirlpool.
I didn't quite understand this, ours are sitting on a concrete floor, surely that should hold 1450 lbs ?
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:42 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I didn't quite understand this, ours are sitting on a concrete floor, surely that should hold 1450 lbs ?
Not everyone is on slab. On floorboards, the building code is apparently 40lbs per sq ft.

Many houses have upstairs laundry rooms as well - can you imagine trying to get a 3/4 ton behemoth like that up the stairs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.