Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

Originally Posted by Bnet36
..... Find your nearest Target. Wonderful one stop shop. .....
Target is at best an acquired taste. Much of what they sell is overpriced, and just about everything they sell is available more cheaply, or with more choice, elsewhere. Mrs P shops at Target very rarely and only as pretty much a last resort. I don't recall ever buying anything at Target.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:34 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Target is at best an acquired taste. Much of what they sell is overpriced, and just about everything they sell is available more cheaply, or with more choice, elsewhere. Mrs P shops at Target very rarely and only as pretty much a last resort. I don't recall ever buying anything at Target.
The only thing I buy at Target is their large Toblerone (which I can't find anywhere else). Target is in the same category as Walmart for me: full of poor people.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
..... Target is in the same category as Walmart for me: full of poor people.
Perhaps shoppers in Target are even poorer than those in Walmart, because the prices in Target are higher.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Target is at best an acquired taste. Much of what they sell is overpriced, and just about everything they sell is available more cheaply, or with more choice, elsewhere.
Actually, I like their T-shirts. I can stock up for $6 a pop when they are sale priced at the start of the summer and they wear well and hold their shape and color. In fact last year's were in such good condition that I didn't need to buy any more this year.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Target is in the same category as Walmart for me: full of poor people.
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, I like their T-shirts. I can stock up for $6 a pop
Poor you.

aka: utterly contemptible

If you were in Calcutta rather than Connecticut you might even be classified as an "Untouchable"
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
If you were in Calcutta rather than Connecticut you might even be classified as an "Untouchable"
I line up outside clutching my begging bowl with the other indigents!
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:26 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you.

aka: utterly contemptible

Maybe when I have kids and need to buy them cheap disposable stuff I may feel different (actually, no, I know I won't). You just need to look at the sort of people that populate Target (and Walmart) to tell you everything about the place.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Maybe when I have kids and need to buy them cheap disposable stuff I may feel different (actually, no, I know I won't). You just need to look at the sort of people that populate Target (and Walmart) to tell you everything about the place.

But you admit that you go there -- so you are one of the "sort of people" who populate Target. Perhaps if I saw you there, I might have to change my mind about the place . . . .
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Primark
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I line up outside clutching my begging bowl with the other indigents!
There you are Nutmegger....
Hiding behind the Target hoodie jacket and a crappy $6 Target tee

OTOH:

Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

There you are Nutmegger....
Hiding behind the Target hoodie jacket and a crappy $6 Target tee

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/marqu154/arc...ss-america.jpg

OTOH:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/26252704/large.jpg

Glad I hadn't taken a sip of anything before I saw that, or I'd have executed the classic spit-take!
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:34 pm
Banned

But you admit that you go there -- so you are one of the "sort of people" who populate Target. Perhaps if I saw you there, I might have to change my mind about the place . . . .
See my post above - Toblerone! </Partridge>
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

See my post above - Toblerone! </Partridge>
Ah - everyone knows that Toblerone is the chocolate of choice for pretend-posh people.

*Munches After-Eights*

Wot.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's regional. Some of the Target's around us are much better than the ones we've seen in other states.

Wouldn't get electronics or anything major there, but they're rather good for the consumables, especially kids stuff.

Plus they have people working the tills...and the photobooth stuff is usually pretty decent.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Tediously is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't find anything wrong with Target, the place was clean, average prices and there were attractive mothers strolling round

Last edited by Tediously; Aug 31st 2014 at 1:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.