Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you think of British Consular Services?

What do you think of British Consular Services?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think of British Consular Services?

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
How about using those diplomatic bags for something useful....

Fill 'em full of Warburtons bread, proper sausages, black pudding, and real bacon....then host ex-pat breakfasts on the lawn....oh and throw a box of PG Tips in there too
Also, anything you could do to get Corrie or Easty on the telly would be good.

and the England games for free, too.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough

Looks like it's worth taking the survey as you have the option to be involved in a discussion forum
You will get the chance to help shape the service which the Foreign and Commonwealth office offer British Nationals living abroad.

Discussions begin on the 8th June 2009
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Apologies if you only wanted info from Brits in America but what has happened to the passport service for us Brits in Italy?

We no longer get any help or service from Rome but have to go through an office in Paris now and pay an extra 21 euro for a courier service to get our applications sent and our passports returned.

I am not in France. I am in Italy.
Cost cutting...many offices in European countries have been closed.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: What do you think of British Consular Services?

Apologies if you only wanted info from Brits in America but what has happened to the passport service for us Brits in Italy?

We no longer get any help or service from Rome but have to go through an office in Paris now and pay an extra 21 euro for a courier service to get our applications sent and our passports returned.

I've heard that it's the same for Brits in Singapore (their passports are not going to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).

Agree about those horrendous prices to call ABTRAN. A disgrace.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That survey was a bit rubbish really...

Anyway...kind of service, well for a start, more direct access to talk to people who aren't printing money off that rubbish phone service would be a primer.

Affordable cost of renewing a passport and consular birth certs.

Much clearer website for any emergencies, and for get emergency passport etc.

One thing I did appreciate though was that the Boston consulate were sending out the red poppy pins for remembrance day for those who asked, they went pretty quick though. Would be nice if the other consulates offered this. It's obviously nothing as major or as important as the passport/phone issue, but it is a nice bonus
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:59 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I haven't needed the consular services here in CA but have had wonderful service from the Washington DC Consulate generals offices when doing Dd's citizenship. Twice I was contacted by a Scottish lady called Eadie , (Not sure on the spelling and I forget her last name) she was really friendly and helpful.

Agree- I have exchanged emails with Mr C Hudson (think you passed my email to him) and he was exceptionally helpful several times - quickly answering my small queries about the passport forms/process.

Other feedback - we have had a couple of folks post on here in the past few months that claim they have overstayed their VWP and cant now afford to get home by any means - some clarification about exactly what the consular service can and cannot do (and any restictions attached ) would be helpful to be able to point them at.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Agree- I have exchanged emails with Mr C Hudson (think you passed my email to him) and he was exceptionally helpful several times - quickly answering my small queries about the passport forms/process.

Other feedback - we have had a couple of folks post on here in the past few months that claim they have overstayed their VWP and cant now afford to get home by any means - some clarification about exactly what the consular service can and cannot do (and any restictions attached ) would be helpful to be able to point them at.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=45
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:09 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office would like to hear what British nationals living overseas think about the types of consular services delivered by British Embassies, Consulates, and High Commissions. Virtual Surveys, a UK company, has been asked to conduct the research for us. If you'd like to take part in the on-line discussions, details will appear periodically in the banner at the bottom of the screen, or visit http://survey.euro.confirmit.com/wix...64034.aspx?s=3 for more information

Dean
Interesting post. I've not read many of your posts, but the few I had read gave me the impression you were the loner out to right the wrongs of the bureaucratic foreign office. My impression based solely on the fact that you genuinely appeared to give a hoot, and really wanted to be helpful. This is far from my recollection of any government body or institution in the UK.
I hope your survey is sanctioned, and we are not going to find out that your boss found your postings on here, and all of a sudden you ended up back in Blighty doing janitorial duties on King Charles Street.
Has England changed so much since I abandoned her

Good luck Dean, and apparently the FCO.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:39 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Interesting post. I've not read many of your posts, but the few I had read gave me the impression you were the loner out to right the wrongs of the bureaucratic foreign office. My impression based solely on the fact that you genuinely appeared to give a hoot, and really wanted to be helpful. This is far from my recollection of any government body or institution in the UK.
I hope your survey is sanctioned, and we are not going to find out that your boss found your postings on here, and all of a sudden you ended up back in Blighty doing janitorial duties on King Charles Street.
Has England changed so much since I abandoned her

Good luck Dean, and apparently the FCO.
I guess this banner I was just presented with on BE answers my question
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of British Consular Services?-picture-3.png  
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I guess this banner I was just presented with on BE answers my question
Hey, thinbrit... That appears to be an ongoing advert based on exactly what's in this thread. Wierd innit?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: What do you think of British Consular Services?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office forum discussions are now taking place. If you haven't registered to give your views on the types of consular services you want the British government to deliver, please click here to take part: http://survey.euro.confirmit.com/wix...64034.aspx?s=3

Thanks.

Dean
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:29 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

same shit, different toilet.