Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most?

What do you miss most?

Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most?

Originally Posted by k1journey
I miss there being only one round of adverts in the middle of a half hour show and some at the end. It gets on my goat that the show ends there is adverts and then you think something else is coming but it is actually the credits.
Get Tivo! Tivo is a wonderful invention. If you don't want to fork out the dough for Tivo (they have a stupid annual subscription or lifetime subscription that I don't like), get one of the packaged solutions from your cable or satelite provider that includes a 'DVR' (Digital Video Recorder), which is the more generic term for what Tivo is. After years of denial, I got one bundled with my local Comcast cable service, and we've never looked back.

We can record someting ridiculous like several hundred hours of programming; we can record every occurrence of a show regardless of what channel it's one (good for catching up on various Star Trek re-runs -(and where else in the world will you find those on a regular basis? )). With a Tivo/DVR, you can skip commercials at the touch of a button (NOTE: Tivo and others are not allowed to give you a single button 'commecial skip' solution, but the Tivo community forums tell you how to 'hack' that). You can also start watching a show 10 minutes after it started, and catch up by skipping commercials (that is, you can watch WHILE recording, unlike with old VCRs).

I actually built my own DVR, using an old PC, a tuner card from Hauppauge, and software from a company called Sage TV, but it was probably more trouble than it was worth - learned a lot though
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittie1823
I have no clue if this has been posted before, but what do you miss most about home? I still call the UK home because I have so much that is mine still back there- along with the majority of my family.

I miss the chippy and being able to go to a cheap footie match near me. We have an NFL team, an NBA team and an MLB team and none of them are cheap really. I have fond memories of going with my dad and my brother to see Burton Albion matches and then stopping at the chippy on the way home. Maybe that's a British thing...probably. I don't see too many families stopping somewhere after they've been to a sporting event here.
I miss my family, Cadbury's chocolate, real fish and chips, the curry house!!!!! bacon, nightclubs, British comedy, and pubs.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Free healthcare
oh yeah, miss that one too
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
I've learned to adapt . . . except for this time of year when I really get homesick for ALL things British. A good walk in the countryside, pubs, the shops, Christmas specials on the telly, driving over the moors at night and seeing the lights of Whitby . . . I could go on and on, but I won't as I need to get on with making my mince pies.
Awww yeah! Christmas time in the UK! Turkey and all the trimmings, Christmas pudding or trifle for afters, drinking too much wine, pulling Christmas crackers, and settling down after scoffing a ton of Roses or Quality Street and watching the Eastenders special or a Christmas repeat of the Two Ronnies...
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by motormanC69
I miss family and friends, pubs,fish & chips,Cornish Pasties,a decent pint,Sunday dinner(roast beef & Yorkshire Pudding) Walkers Crisps (yeah I can get them here but they are damn expensive!) , British supermarkets(far superior and better selection than the US ones),going to football matches,driving on the correct side of the road ... etc etc,the list goes on. But the list of things I DON'T miss is pretty extensive too !!
Walkers crips are Frito Lay...
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Absolutely! Give a Brit a raise and he'll complain you are going to give him more work; then complain that it will probably mean he has to pay more taxes. The ability of the British to find a negative side to any situation never ceases to amaze me.
You say that, it's weird because since being in the US, Ive become aware of my own cynical side, and in contrast to people over here, it's horrible! I don't want to be cynical anymore!!!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
You say that, it's weird because since being in the US, Ive become aware of my own cynical side, and in contrast to people over here, it's horrible! I don't want to be cynical anymore!!!
It must be genetic ... I don't think Brits are aware of it. Hanging out with one or two Brits here is ok, but you get a few together in a room, and ... oh my ... it just pours out ... complaints, cynicism, etc. It's a disease and the only cure is to avoid large groupings.

Latest examples came from talking to my brother (who still lives there). He has totally free healthcare, but has not been to the doctor in over 15 years, and neither has his wife. My partner recently went through breast cancer surgery, and came through with flying colors in large part (we believe) because she caught it early - due to annual checkups, etc, so I was telling him to go have a checkup.

"they may find out how much I drink, and tell my company" (my arguments about privacy of health information were dismissed out of hand). "I may find out something is wrong, then what ..?". "they'll invent a problem so they can make money off me". And so it went on. Then we got to talking about his daughter (my niece). "She's too busy working on her homework - she's so sad"; "my wife is watching (some junk show on) TV, how sad is that?" - "I had to work late tonight, how sad is that" ... the term 'sad' seems to be used as a put-down to anyone not doing exactly what you think they should be doing. There seems to be a concept of dragging everyone down to your level, no one wants to rise to the level of another - no one will acknowledge that another is doing something worthy. There is so much negative energy, it thoroughly depresses me to listen to this after a day or so; this happens to me each time I go back ... I look forward to it, then totally regret it.

If there is one thing above all else I love about being here, it is the unrelenting optimism and positive attitude of Americans. This behavior has many, many downsides, but they cannot detract from the fact that the people here are happy, cheerful, optimistic, positive, and this rubs off on me and inspires me.

Another good example of this is the reaction of a brit to his/her colleague getting a promotion. If a Brit sees his/her colleague getting a promotion, he'll give you 50 reasons why it was unfair. An American will be inspired to try harder, hoping the he/she will be the next one to get a promotion. If a Brit sees someone with a lot more money than them, they will complain they got it unfairly, or are unworthy of it, etc while an American will see someone to aspire to, to emulate.

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 15th 2007 at 8:21 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It must be genetic ... I don't think Brits are aware of it. Hanging out with one or two Brits here is ok, but you get a few together in a room, and ... oh my ... it just pours out ... complaints, cynicism, etc. It's a disease and the only cure is to avoid large groupings.

Latest examples came from talking to my brother (who still lives there). He has totally free healthcare, but has not been to the doctor in over 15 years, and neither has his wife. My partner recently went through breast cancer surgery, and came through with flying colors in large part (we believe) because she caught it early - due to annual checkups, etc, so I was telling him to go have a checkup.

"they may find out how much I drink, and tell my company" (my arguments about privacy of health information were dismissed out of hand). "I may find out something is wrong, then what ..?". "they'll invent a problem so they can make money off me". And so it went on. Then we got to talking about his daughter (my niece). "She's too busy working on her homework - she's so sad"; "my wife is watching (some junk show on) TV, how sad is that?" - "I had to work late tonight, how sad is that" ... the term 'sad' seems to be used as a put-down to anyone not doing exactly what you think they should be doing. There seems to be a concept of dragging everyone down to your level, no one wants to rise to the level of another - no one will acknowledge that another is doing something worthy. There is so much negative energy, it thoroughly depresses me to listen to this after a day or so; this happens to me each time I go back ... I look forward to it, then totally regret it.

If there is one thing above all else I love about being here, it is the unrelenting optimism and positive attitude of Americans. This behavior has many, many downsides, but they cannot detract from the fact that the people here are happy, cheerful, optimistic, positive, and this rubs off on me and inspires me.

Another good example of this is the reaction of a brit to his/her colleague getting a promotion. If a Brit sees his/her colleague getting a promotion, he'll give you 50 reasons why it was unfair. An American will be inspired to try harder, hoping the he/she will be the next one to get a promotion. If a Brit sees someone with a lot more money than them, they will complain they got it unfairly, or are unworthy of it, etc while an American will see someone to aspire to, to emulate.
I think mostly, it is a culture thing. Americans seem to be brought up to have a hero, someone or something to look up to and aim for. We don't seem to be brought up in that sort of way. For instance, my mum used to say that Americans live in a comic book fantasy world. Now, I look back at that comment, and look back at all the times anyone has ever said to me "you'll never..." "you can't..." "yeah right you will..." and I think "well, is that because Americans believe anything is possible?" Instead of blocking ambitions and dreams, Americans seem to be all for cheering you on towards your goal as well as realising their own potentials. Thats not a bad thing at all.