Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you forget this Christmas?

What do you forget this Christmas?

Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you forget this Christmas?

Originally Posted by Patrick
I got mine from Target but you have to be very careful in North Carolina going up to a shop assistance and asking "where are your crackers?"
Better than saying "where do you keep your nuts"
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Common Brit thing ... before dinner you pull your christmas cracker ..get the paper hat out and wear it during dinner ..a very old tradition ..

The Christmas cracker is an integral part of British Christmas celebrations. It consists of a cardboard tube wrapped in a brightly decorated twist of paper (making it resemble an oversized sweet-wrapper). The cracker is pulled by two people, and, much in the manner of a wishbone, the cracker splits unevenly. The split is accompanied by a small bang (produced by the effect of friction on a chemically impregnated card strip).

The person with the larger portion of cracker empties the contents from the tube and keeps them. Typically these contents are a coloured paper hat, a small toy, and a motto, a joke or trivia on a scrap of paper.
Got it ... the US at least in my generation had something similar for children's parties. Pull the string and the tube makes a popping noise and the prize inside is revealed.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmm, you wear a paper hat on Christmas? Why? Were you entertaining the children by being a clown? Or perhaps you participated in a game of charades? Or maybe you are really only 12 and passing yourself off as an adult. LOL
Dont' you know ?
Those of lucky enough to have the Chrismtas crackers all wear the paper hats.
We got our "English Style Crackers " as it said on the box in Pier 1 Imports. They were pretty good too.
The jokes were pretty awful but they're supposed to be aren't they ?
Mine was ......
Q: Why do bakers work so hard ?
A: Because the knead the dough

Re - what did I forget ???
Bought the toys in Hamleys and bought them over back in November. Some needed to be plugged in though and of-course the plug was the 3 pin UK type. Luckily an AC adapter for my computer printer was the same as on the toys so I used that to charge and I was out the dog house - Phew !!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
baby jesus's birthday
I think I love you Manc!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

To serve the sprouts I had especially bought for my husband for Christmas dinner,
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I think I love you Manc!
Don't let his missus read your message!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Pop a Banana in your custard, cant beat a bit of comfort food, especially when you had no Christmas Pud
Yeah, that's nice. Mum always used to do that. I had custard with my Christmas Pud this year, it was yummy, thanx to BrandonBrit for my Christmas Pudding!!!