Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you carry.....

View Poll Results: What do you carry......
Your green card on your person
35.42%
A copy of your green card on your person and keep the original in a sock drawer
6.25%
Your actual green card on your person and keep a copy in a sock drawer
12.50%
Nothing, 'cos you know you'll get pissed and lose it (and you don't care about the law)
31.25%
A Glock 9mm
12.50%
One of options 1 - 4 AND option 5
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

What do you carry.....

Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you carry.....

Originally Posted by aznewsh
I didn't exactly, I was refused entry onto the flight, had to go to London from Manchester to the US embassy and get a letter of entry permit or something. I mistakenly thought I would be able to enter under the visa waiver program but the airline were having none of that. I ended up having to buy another flight.

bugger
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Its never bothered us thus far!!
I do say some stupid shit sometimes, but generally not retardrd, thats a whole other level.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I'd quite like to go to canada on a whim. Unfortunately its quite pricey for me and also a long way.

Additonally, please take this for apologies in advance for any retarded polls or stupid comments from me for the next few weeks, I broke my ankle and am laid up in bed on oxycodone. The drugs and boredom are a bad combination
a few Oxy's and a couple of bourbons and you'll see how nice things really are...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:51 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by ironporer
a few Oxy's and a couple of bourbons and you'll see how nice things really are...
My trouble and strife won't even let me have a sip of wine!!!! And with my bright orange cast, i'm not exactly an inconspicuous figure if i try to furtively raid the fridge
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:58 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed that anyone carries such a valuable document as their Green Card on their person.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:02 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I am amazed that anyone carries such a valuable document as their Green Card on their person.
Agreed (I don't)......it is the law though
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I just got use to doing it, there being a customs/immigration guy knocking around town where I use to live, him and the coast guard guy...pain in the arse.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Really? Does that mean that if you're on a visa you should carry the visa document and/or your passport with you (which has the stamp)? If this is so, then would a photocopy of the documents be okay?

I'm on a H1B.

Would a drivers license not suffice for identification?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

But what if you put on an accent and just tell 'em your an American?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
Really? Does that mean that if you're on a visa you should carry the visa document and/or your passport with you (which has the stamp)? If this is so, then would a photocopy of the documents be okay?

I'm on a H1B.

Would a drivers license not suffice for identification?
Only ICE can ask about your visa status, but if you are here without a greencard, I think technically you have to have your passport on you at all times, certainly if on a VWP, not to sure about H1B though.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by neill
But what if you put on an accent and just tell 'em your an American?
if you ain't a USC and say that you are, that's asking for a whole world of trouble...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

That, i'm sure of. But would the cops (for instance) ever ask about your citizenship? (let's assume they couldn't detect an 'accent').. Are they even allowed to do that? Where would be the situation where you could be 'stopped in the street', so to speak, and be asked to produce residency ID?

I'm just curious. I always thought the US driving licences were like gold dust. You could even use them to enter the US from Canada, although those days are over. I once entered using my Can driving licence, if i told the immigration guy i was "born in Canada", he wouldn't have even asked for my passport!

Originally Posted by Bob
if you ain't a USC and say that you are, that's asking for a whole world of trouble...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by neill
That, i'm sure of. But would the cops (for instance) ever ask about your citizenship? (let's assume they couldn't detect an 'accent').. Are they even allowed to do that? Where would be the situation where you could be 'stopped in the street', so to speak, and be asked to produce residency ID?
A cop can't ask to see your status, but if you live anywhere near a border town, even in NY, they have random check points, and ICE officers can ask....and claiming USC is grounds to get naturalisation denied, even deportable I think.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:36 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

see these threads:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...arry+greencard

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...arry+greencard

Pay particular attention to responses by Folinskyinla, an immigration lawyer who frequents the marriage based visa forum.

My husband always carries his with him but we keep a copy in a safe place as well.

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I keep it on me now, did just leave it lying around home, but some twonker asked to see it, the twonker happened to be a coast guard/border patrol person...they randomly mill around where we use to live in the holiday time to catch people bringing drugs down from canada or guns across the border...
So which was it for you, the drugs or guns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.