Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you bring back from blighty ?

What do you bring back from blighty ?

Old May 21st 2005, 2:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
So far, yes. But who knows by tea time how many will agree with you ?
Have found some of this stuff amusing, but haven't been pissing my self with laughter at any of his stuff, certainly didn't think max and paddy was all that good...stuck with it though...
Old May 21st 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Have found some of this stuff amusing, but haven't been pissing my self with laughter at any of his stuff, certainly didn't think max and paddy was all that good...stuck with it though...

If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a boring place Bob.
Old May 21st 2005, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a boring place Bob.
true
Old May 21st 2005, 8:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
true
Seen one of his videos a year or so back - it was reasonable, but the funnier thing was wathcing my 14 year old niece take him off !

By coincidence I just got the Comic Relief DVD thru the post this morning from my old mam ( bless her heart ) and guess who's on the front cover - Peter Kay. Thats tonights viewing sorted.
Old May 21st 2005, 8:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
true
Seen one of his videos a year or so back - it was reasonable, but the funnier thing was wathcing my 14 year old niece take him off !

By coincidence I just got the Comic Relief DVD thru the post this morning from my old mam ( bless her heart ) and guess who's on the front cover - Peter Kay. Thats tonights viewing sorted.
Old May 21st 2005, 8:41 pm

[QUOTE=mandpete]
Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Never mind what every one else brings back, what about your meds. You are not allowed to bring any medicine into the US unless you have a valid prescription. This includes over the counter stuff like Calpol and Lemsip, I still bring them back with me though.
Its a fair cop gov....

Always used to take a whole black pudding back to Singapore with me too - I'm pretty sure that wasn't allowed, but I always got it in. Never tried it here cos I'm pretty sure I'd never get any foodstuffs past the sniffer dogs at Houston Intercontinental...
Old May 21st 2005, 8:41 pm

[QUOTE=mandpete]

Never mind what every one else brings back, what about your meds. You are not allowed to bring any medicine into the US unless you have a valid prescription. This includes over the counter stuff like Calpol and Lemsip, I still bring them back with me though.
Its a fair cop gov....

Always used to take a whole black pudding back to Singapore with me too - I'm pretty sure that wasn't allowed, but I always got it in. Never tried it here cos I'm pretty sure I'd never get any foodstuffs past the sniffer dogs at Houston Intercontinental...
Old May 21st 2005, 8:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

Oooh....something else I remembered bringing back last year.....

I went to the local Tesco's near my mum's house and bought a couple of boxes of Cadbury's Flakes (the not-quite-so-crumbly ones) 'specially made for turning an ice-cream cone into a 99. I think the boxes cost 1.17p for a box of about 20.

We were at one of the beaches on the Jersey Shore earlier today (after my trip to the DMV) and we had ice-creams. I could have murdered a 99....
Old May 21st 2005, 8:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

Oooh....something else I remembered bringing back last year.....

I went to the local Tesco's near my mum's house and bought a couple of boxes of Cadbury's Flakes (the not-quite-so-crumbly ones) 'specially made for turning an ice-cream cone into a 99. I think the boxes cost 1.17p for a box of about 20.

We were at one of the beaches on the Jersey Shore earlier today (after my trip to the DMV) and we had ice-creams. I could have murdered a 99....
Old May 22nd 2005, 2:32 am

Is it just me or is there an echo in here tonight?
Old May 22nd 2005, 3:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or is there an echo in here tonight?
Couldn't you fit (uncomfortably) an entire black pudding into a carryon?

I'd bring back Tangfastics cos the FDA have banned their sale here (dodgy food colouring).... and then prioritise based upon what I have and how much room left. Always books and music that can't be found anywhere else, though books weigh a ton and have caused me to have to repack in the middle of the airport.

Eccles cakes -- YES.

I can find PG Tips here, and Clarks shoes -- luckily my eldest is the same shoe size as me so we can share shoes at the moment. Same with Penguins, cheaper there but still okay here.

Woodsey, I've checked out the Patak's here and I don't recall seeing Balti. If I ever do though I'll check the price just out of curiosity.
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Last trip (April 2005) I brought back: Salad cream, dream topping, angel delight, gravey grans, crumpets, rich tea biccies (my 18 month old loves them), branston pickle, paxo stuffing, chocolate in all shapes and form, kitchen wares (wisk, trivets etc for some reason they were a lot cheaper over there) Haribo cola bottle, yes I know they are german but they are so much cheaper in the UK, and liquorice allsorts... my hubby loves them. Impulse deodorant, haven't found anthing near as nice in the US yet.

Ash
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:00 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find Hob Nob Flapkacks, they are the greatest thing in the UK, get me some!
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:28 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Last trip (April 2005) I brought back: Salad cream, dream topping, angel delight, gravey grans, crumpets, rich tea biccies (my 18 month old loves them), branston pickle, paxo stuffing, chocolate in all shapes and form, kitchen wares (wisk, trivets etc for some reason they were a lot cheaper over there) Haribo cola bottle, yes I know they are german but they are so much cheaper in the UK, and liquorice allsorts... my hubby loves them. Impulse deodorant, haven't found anthing near as nice in the US yet.

Ash
I found Liquorice Allsorts in Wallgreens and Rite Aid over the weekend. I was amazed (never thought to look before and found them this time entirely by accident. Says made in England on them and everything.

I always bring back loads of Tesco Men's shower gel (the cheap stuff) - men obviously don't wash over here because you can only get the expensive designer stuff here. I used to bring over deodorant but on my last trip it seems like they've discontinued it. How do you go about finding a new deodorant that you like, and that works - it's not like you can try it in the shop.

Always bring back things like Maltesers and chocolate buttons and Crunchie's and the like. Also curry sauces, and other packet sauces, certain herbs and spices because they're about a quarter of the price over there.

Luckily I get to go back at least twice a year.
Old May 24th 2005, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Couldn't you fit (uncomfortably) an entire black pudding into a carryon?
I was dreading getting to the end of that sentence!!

Yeah, you could, but they always have the dogs going over the hand luggage while you're waiting for the suitcases to come out. They dog picked out my wifes handbag once - there was nothing in it by the time the dogs got to it, but she'd had a banana in it which our son had eaten on the plane. But the dog still did his piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.