Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you bring back from blighty ?

What do you bring back from blighty ?

Old May 20th 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all
Default What do you bring back from blighty ?

I'm flying back for a week tomorrow, and on the shopping list is
kiddies pyjamas, the usual chocs and biccies, mint sauce, and calenders.
I just wondered what other things you always like bring back to the US with you from Sainsburys, or WH Smith's, or wherever it is you go.
Drinking warm beer on Sunday night - can't wait
Old May 20th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
I just wondered what other things you always like bring back to the US with you from Sainsburys, or WH Smith's, or wherever it is you go.
Pataks balti curry paste
Tetley Tea bags
Bath sponges
Toni & Guy smoothing balm
everything I can afford to buy from Top Shop
shoes for my 2 y/o son
King of shaves shaving oil
M & S undies
Old May 20th 2005, 8:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

I usually get carried away in bookshops like Waterstone's and W H Smiths where they have their '3 for the price of 2' paperback books on offer for Summer reading (I'll certainly be getting Tony Parson's 'The Family Way' which has just come out in p/b on my next trip).

British DVDs which you can't always get in the US (usually TV comedy programmes)...I've never seen Peter Kay but I've heard that Pheonix Nights is funny....might get that. I'm planning to get the entire series of "Jeeves and Wooster" which is sooo funny (will probably order it on Amazon and have it sent to my mum's house). I have a couple of those 'Cyberhome' brand DVD players which cost about $30 and hacked them to play UK DVDs.

Stuff from Boots eg. No.7 cosmetics and Charles Worthington shampoos and conditioners (Walgreens briefly sold it here, but sadly not any more. Boo). Also 'Original Mint Source' shampoo and conditioner.

M&S bras and knickers....still the best.

Catering size jar of Branston Pickle....+ Bisto gravy granules.

Clothes - stuff which is different from all the Gap-type blandness in the shops here...I love going to the little boutique stores which don't seem to exist here (except for NYC and they cost a fortune compared to what I can find in England)

Custard powder

Sometimes I'll buy the Cup-a-Soups and have been known to bring home a couple of Pot Noodles as well.

Oh yes, I forgot. Duvet covers of course! I've found some really nice ones usually in Debenhams or Laura Ashley's (in Stratford Upon Avon) and their Summer sales are great!

Often pick up nice kitchen gadgets in Lakeland stores (again in Stratford, but they do sell online at

http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...erralURL=%5FCR

And at the airport for the return flight I pick up the monthly British mags like Marie-Claire, Good Housekeeping etc. They're so much more informative than their US counterparts which seem to mostly comprise of adverts (with a whole page taken up with medical disclaimers LOL!)

Last edited by Englishmum; May 20th 2005 at 8:49 pm.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Crumpets
Fairy washing tablets
Crisps - Quavers, Monster Munch, Skips, Nik Naks, etc.
Bedding
Decent clothes and underwear
Eccles cakes.
C.Vit
Latest football shirt.

I come back with 2 suitcases full but I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Pataks balti curry paste
Tetley Tea bags
Bath sponges
shoes for my 2 y/o son
M & S undies
I'd go with the shoes as well. I do miss Clark's

But what's with the warm beer?
Old May 20th 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've never seen Peter Kay but I've heard that Pheonix Nights is funny....might get that.

Funny does not begin to describe it. The one legged Elvis who can sing "Blue Suede Shoe" had the Memsahib in stitches when we watched it.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
But what's with the warm beer?
We actually have a Clarks store here at Woodfield Mall, NW Suburbs of Chicago, so there maybe one there is one near you ?
Maybe check it out on their web site ??
As for the warm beer, I think I'll leave that for another thread.
Cheers everyone for your tips, I've already made some additions to my list, really useful... but we always come back forgetting something don't we?
Old May 20th 2005, 8:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Funny does not begin to describe it. The one legged Elvis who can sing "Blue Suede Shoe" had the Memsahib in stitches when we watched it.
So he's really funny then?

I've been away too long I guess...I've never seen him on TV...BBC America is still showing Benny bloody Hill and Monty Python for goodness' sakes..

Is Peter Kay comparable with any other British comedian or is he in a league of his own?
Old May 20th 2005, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Going completely off topic but .....

We've got a few of Peter Kay's DVDs and they are hilarious. My friend recorded the Max and Paddy series for us and sent it over and we've watched half of it up to now, that's funny too. I had forgotten that Max and Paddy were the bouncers on Phoenix Nights. The other thing she recorded for us was Early Doors with Craig Cash (Dave from Royle Family) and is set in my home town of Stockport and it's great hearing local street names being mentioned. I am really sad and don't fast forward through the english adverts because they are more entertaining than most TV programmes over here.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We actually have a Clarks store here at Woodfield Mall, NW Suburbs of Chicago, so there maybe one there is one near you ?
Maybe check it out on their web site ??
As for the warm beer, I think I'll leave that for another thread.
Cheers everyone for your tips, I've already made some additions to my list, really useful... but we always come back forgetting something don't we?
I've found Clarks as well, but they don't do children's shoes.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've found Clarks as well, but they don't do children's shoes.
Same here in NJ. Last time I went home I took my daughter to the Clarks shop and bought her two pairs of shoes. When we got back here both pairs rubbed her feet and caused blisters so she only wore both pairs once. I just had to put them in the charity bag because obviously I couldn't take them back. Next time I'll buy them as soon as we get to England and let her wear them before heading back here just in case.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There around, and I've seen kids shoes in a couple of shoe stores around here...hated them as a kid though *lol*

But things to bring, Branston pickle, Bisto gravy, bedding and curtains....smarties, aero's

Errr...and if it were me, a few copies of Design weekly and private eye
Old May 20th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

My ability to complain about anything and everything.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:17 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Pataks balti curry paste
Tetley Tea bags
Bath sponges
shoes for my 2 y/o son
M & S undies
Pataks balti curry paste? Central Market or Wholefoods in TX
Tetley Teabags? Central Market
Bath sponges? Why?
Toni & Guy products? Any of the 5 salons in our area
Shoes? Why?
King of shaves shaving oil.. OK, I would almost agree except that after a year of using it I realised that it's just as good shaving with nothing but water, and that's what I've done for the last 5 years
M & S undies? Try www.figleaves.com if you miss British underwear.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:20 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

My friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.