Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do we do with this money??

What do we do with this money??

Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:43 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Question What do we do with this money??

For our anniversary, Mark's nan sent us a card with £100 in bank notes inside. In the past when she's sent us monetary gifts, she's always sent them via wire transfer, but for some reason this time she decided to send cash. My guess is that she didn't want to pay the wire transfer fee (understandably), but by sending us cash we're really in a weird situation.

Our bank accounts are all with USAA, which is headquartered in Texas. With the exception of one bank branch in San Antonio, USAA does not have any bank branches anywhere else. We do 99% of our banking electronically anyway, including the use of debit cards (we VERY rarely use cash), so it's never been much of an issue. The times that we might come into some extra money (birthday gift, etc) it's in the form of a check, which we just mail to USAA to be deposited.

So here we have £100 in cash, which is about $200 at the current exchange rate. We don't want to send cash through the mail, even if it's not in US dollars. I know that USAA will accept CHECKS drawn on foreign banks, but that's not what we received. Back in 2003, we tried finding somewhere locally to exchange Mark's leftover British money and came up blank. (We don't live near an airport, and even if we did the exchange there would be a rip-off.)

So what do we do?? Do we bite the bullet and send USAA the cash to be deposited? Should we bother opening up a local bank account, just so we can deposit the funds and transfer them to USAA?? We've never had to do this before so I'm sure there's an alternative that we're just not aware of, but hopefully someone here is.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do we do with this money??

Don't have a really good answer for you. But, I would definitely NOT send cash. If I had to ever deposit cash I'd get a cheap money order (not something you can do, I know) and then deposit that.

Perhaps you can call your bank on Monday and ask them for suggestions?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

Keep it for those bloody expensive trips back to the UK! Seriously, if you can do without it, it's better to have some cash when you go home. As you probably know, the majority of the USA is still in denial that there is a world outside of the US and, as a consequence, make a big song and dance about having to have anything to do with any currency other than the US$!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:02 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you buy any sort of travellers checks with it? Then go and cash 'em. With my bank, I deposit sterling when fam come over; I'm the local xcher for them and my bank doesn't charge me.. they just convert it internally and post it a day or so later. I would agree with georgiagal, not a bad idea to keep it for when you go over for trips etc.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Can you buy any sort of travellers checks with it? Then go and cash 'em. With my bank, I deposit sterling when fam come over; I'm the local xcher for them and my bank doesn't charge me.. they just convert it internally and post it a day or so later. I would agree with georgiagal, not a bad idea to keep it for when you go over for trips etc.
i agree with the earlier suggestion.. save it for ur next trip back to uk. if its in the near future.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Send it to me and I will convert it to a new TV for my truck and a years subcription to Sirrus satelite radio

Being serious now ............ Just go to your bank and pay it in ! They will take a few days to convert it to US dollars but they should accept it.

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Jun 17th 2007 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:41 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgiagal
Keep it for those bloody expensive trips back to the UK! Seriously, if you can do without it, it's better to have some cash when you go home. As you probably know, the majority of the USA is still in denial that there is a world outside of the US and, as a consequence, make a big song and dance about having to have anything to do with any currency other than the US$!
Well, aside from the fact that we're already home, we would much rather have those funds to help pay off debt and/or put in our savings account and earn some interest on it. The sooner we get rid of our debt, the sooner we can afford to make a visit to the UK. We haven't seen Mark's family in almost four years.

I considered travelers cheques, but if I'm not mistaken, sending them in already signed would be similar to sending cash, wouldn't it?

I've already emailed my bank and hope to hear from them in the next couple of days. I'm hoping they have an idea of what we can do.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:42 pm
I'm back!

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Send it to me and I will convert it to a new TV for my truck and a years subcription to Sirrus satelite radio
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone made this kind of suggestion!

Being serious now ............ Just go to your bank and pay it in ! They will take a few days to convert it to US dollars but they should accept it.
Well, I think making a trip from Virginia to Texas to go to their one bank branch would cost more than the amount I'm trying to deposit, so that's a no-go.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:57 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Jenney,

I've often sent cash through the post, and as long as you send it inside a card, I've never had a problem. With a letter it's more obvious (for someone who's watching out for that kind of thing) that cash is in the envelope.

Seriously... if you want to get $ for it, I'll be happy to take the dosh off your hands and send you $ via PayPal. I'm going to England in just under 3 weeks' time so can use it easily enough.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Always a money exchange if you have an airport not too far away
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Always a money exchange if you have an airport not too far away
Oi!! That's what I was going to say. Are you inside my head today?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Oi!! That's what I was going to say. Are you inside my head today?
I would be worn out hours ago if I was ... ..
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:22 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Maz
Jenney,

I've often sent cash through the post, and as long as you send it inside a card, I've never had a problem. With a letter it's more obvious (for someone who's watching out for that kind of thing) that cash is in the envelope.

Seriously... if you want to get $ for it, I'll be happy to take the dosh off your hands and send you $ via PayPal. I'm going to England in just under 3 weeks' time so can use it easily enough.
Go with Maz .. I'll vouch for her ... she a very nice old girl ...
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Second (and third) the next trip back suggestion.

Having £100 in cash with you when you arrive can mean the difference between making a tube or not, or a bus or not, or buying a soda or coffee or any of those things when you arrive.

My own reason is because when I come in on the Heathrow Express to Paddington, if I have to stop at the ATM it can mean and extra 10 minutes waiting for a cab instead of heading straight to the cab rank (through that secret passage past the women's loo).

There is also the time I arrived at LHR and there were no working ATMs and I was really hungry. That sucked.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:54 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Second (and third) the next trip back suggestion.

Having £100 in cash with you when you arrive can mean the difference between making a tube or not, or a bus or not, or buying a soda or coffee or any of those things when you arrive.

My own reason is because when I come in on the Heathrow Express to .
I always have a Mercedes pick me up ...Or a Dodge Ram truck ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.