Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

what do people like about usa

Wikiposts

what do people like about usa

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do people like about usa

Originally Posted by Thydney
Can I just point out that 70,000 gbp is the same as 140,000 dollars
There's been a whole argument over this, I'm gonna be killed if it's repeated over here. But was pretty much agreed it is not - can't use the exchange rate, since the money is staying in the same country, not spent in the othter. Look up PPP, is what (I think was agreed) to be a better measure. 1.22 dollars to the pound by that one I believe.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:17 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy, I suppose that I should feel slighted that you are trying to carry on the same discussion here that you abandoned on the other thread.

I'm curious -- what's your motivation to give this topic so much attention, when you aren't apparently interested in actually discussing any of the data that run counters to your position?

I do have to say, though, that I'm impressed that you could post a survey and ignore 98% of its content simply because it contradicted and rebutted your viewpoint. Most of us from either the UK or the US would have difficulty doing that with a straight face, even on our best days.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hmmm - never tried freezing the things.

I used to make them in little muffin cups -rather than the larger things.
Yes in Britain (and closeby countries with British shops) you can get them ready made in the freezer and you just pop them in the oven for 5 minutes. Much easier!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Tracy, I suppose that I should feel slighted that you are trying to carry on the same discussion here that you abandoned on the other thread.

I'm curious -- what's your motivation to give this topic so much attention, when you aren't apparently interested in actually discussing any of the data that run counters to your position?

I do have to say, though, that I'm impressed that you could post a survey and ignore 98% of its content simply because it contradicted and rebutted your viewpoint. Most of us from either the UK or the US would have difficulty doing that with a straight face, even on our best days.
Sigh.

They were simply discussing the salaries. Not the whole argument. But figures you had to follow me here and criticise me.

I am not going to argue with you any more.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:40 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Yes in Britain (and closeby countries with British shops) you can get them ready made in the freezer and you just pop them in the oven for 5 minutes. Much easier!
c/o aunt bessie
Attached Thumbnails what do people like about usa-aunt-bessie.jpg  
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:51 am
Just Joined

discojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nicediscojoe is just really nice

I like how the US and Canada are collectively gigantic, yet you only need English to do anything (though French in Quebec helps).
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TruBrit
c/o aunt bessie
Are they good? Didn't seem like an object that would freeze well - I'll have to give it a try sometime. As was said, two people don't eat a whole batch.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:57 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they good? Didn't seem like an object that would freeze well - I'll have to give it a try sometime. As was said, two people don't eat a whole batch.
they are, just heat the oven and zap them for 4 mins...del
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooooooooh I want some Aunt Bessies! So unfair! Why did someone have to post a picture!
Because they only take 4 minutes to cook I didn't rate them as something that would travel well on a 9 hour flight, hence none were brought back this week. I am going to have to check out one of those stores in Long Grove this weekend now!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ooooooooooooh I want some Aunt Bessies! So unfair! Why did someone have to post a picture!
Because they only take 4 minutes to cook I didn't rate them as something that would travel well on a 9 hour flight, hence none were brought back this week. I am going to have to check out one of those stores in Long Grove this weekend now!
We were there a week or two ago - the one Irish store had a big freezer section - meats and bridies and stuff. I don't remember if they had yorkshire puds though. There are at least two Irish stores there - the smaller one had the frozen stuff.

Oh - and I finally got to try a can of Irn-Bru!

I had a Brit friend with me - she recognized a bunch of the candies and such.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Off to Long Grove I go...only been in the British one so far. I saw the freezer in the Irish one through the window but didn't go in as my hubby would have bought all their sausages.
I haven't had IrnBru in a very long time!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Off to Long Grove I go...only been in the British one so far. I saw the freezer in the Irish one through the window but didn't go in as my hubby would have bought all their sausages.
I haven't had IrnBru in a very long time!
I'm told Trader Joes has nice Irish Bangers btw - I think there's one in Arlington Heights or Palatine.

Since you like cooking - we should make some sausages one day. I've made the little chippolatas at Christmas.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ew I hate sausages! Well no I hate the idea of what goes in them. My husband likes them though. Yes we have TJs about 2 miles away - a must for me! Not tried the Irish bangers yet, have managed to stick to the chicken ones.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ew I hate sausages! Well no I hate the idea of what goes in them. My husband likes them though. Yes we have TJs about 2 miles away - a must for me! Not tried the Irish bangers yet, have managed to stick to the chicken ones.
lol I'm not the biggest sausage fan myself - I do like the chippolatas though.

They aren't gross though - just ground pork and normal food - no strange animal parts.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:32 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told Trader Joes has nice Irish Bangers btw - I think there's one in Arlington Heights or Palatine.

Since you like cooking - we should make some sausages one day. I've made the little chippolatas at Christmas.
TJ does have great I. Bangers! We were there a few weeks ago on our monthly trek for our "only at TJ's" supplies and discovered them. They are the best we've had here. We like them better than the locally made ones at the 'gourmet' grocer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.