Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do with my student loan.

What to do with my student loan.

Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with my student loan.

Originally Posted by mwooldri
SLC do have and use email these days too. Emails are traceable, as are faxes - which they have as well.

For correspondence - if you use the US Postal Service, Express Mail is your only proof - Global Priority doesn't track properly. FedEx and UPS do track correctly though so might be worth mailing paperwork via them unless USPS Express Mail is far cheaper.

As for legal action... if you're poor threaten a Chapter 7 filing here Stateside. If your Student Loans are old enough there is a way to discharge them through the US court system.
True but I personally found the fact that you could tell them that the letter was received at this time and signed for by this person made them back pedal the " we have no record of that". Faxes don't give you that and emails are too prone to the old " we are having IT problems maybe t didn't get through" line
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwooldri
Emails are traceable...
Only to a point!

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

There's a form you can fill in specifically for moving to another country. Here is the link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_078083.pdf

If you're concerned about tracing it you can always email it as well as posting. When I spoke to them on the phone about this (my loan is from 2000), they said to just fill in as much info as possible and leave blank the areas (such as date you plan to return to the UK) that you didn't know. They've also asked me to provide a letter from my husband stating that he will be supporting me for the first 12 months.

After that, they have a table showing how much you should pay depending on what you earn in the US. The guy I spoke to said that I could pay quarterly rather than monthly if I wanted to reduce the amount of times I was moving money between countries. However - I haven't actually done this yet - so not sure how smoothly the process will go when the move actually happens! I'm coming over at the end of April - I'll provide an update if they turn out to be total muppets about it all!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

GlastoEls is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fashionista
There's a form you can fill in specifically for moving to another country. Here is the link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_078083.pdf

If you're concerned about tracing it you can always email it as well as posting. When I spoke to them on the phone about this (my loan is from 2000), they said to just fill in as much info as possible and leave blank the areas (such as date you plan to return to the UK) that you didn't know. They've also asked me to provide a letter from my husband stating that he will be supporting me for the first 12 months.

After that, they have a table showing how much you should pay depending on what you earn in the US. The guy I spoke to said that I could pay quarterly rather than monthly if I wanted to reduce the amount of times I was moving money between countries. However - I haven't actually done this yet - so not sure how smoothly the process will go when the move actually happens! I'm coming over at the end of April - I'll provide an update if they turn out to be total muppets about it all!
Mine was an easy process:

1) Fill in OVFA form:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...98/DG_10034872

2) Fax it to 'em with a proof of earning (offer letter, etc)

3) They replied to me stating I had to pay £xx a month, and should do it by the 20th of each month at www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk

First payment went yesterday. Amount due for the US is 9% of whatever you earn above an FX-adjusted £12,000, I believe.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:52 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlastoElliot
Mine was an easy process:

1) Fill in OVFA form:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...98/DG_10034872

2) Fax it to 'em with a proof of earning (offer letter, etc)

3) They replied to me stating I had to pay £xx a month, and should do it by the 20th of each month at www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk

First payment went yesterday. Amount due for the US is 9% of whatever you earn above an FX-adjusted £12,000, I believe.
+1. I moved to Houston, Tx in Jan 2010 and paid my student loan for a year. The above is how my repayment was worked out. Be warned that it does have to come from a GBP account. I was told that it had to be set up to come from a direct debit, but I don't believe this is true - you just need to pay it on time.

I cleared the balance of mine witha lump sum payment last month as I only had a small amount remaining on it and it was getting to be a pain transferring money to the UK every month. I graduated in 2004 so my payment history etc was available to view online.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:31 pm
Banned

lunaUK is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=hockeysarah;9262216]Ive started to think about what to do with my student loan when I move to the US this year.

Why pay it? Education should be free anyhow LOL
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

ladybutterfly444 is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant talk about unpaid student debts but when I moved to the US 6 years ago from the UK I left all my credit cards and unsececured personal loan unpaid. And like someone else posted, after 6 or 7 years the loan gets written off. When you move to another country debt collection agencies and creditors can not come look for you. Also a good point to note is the UK has the same agencies as the US as far as credit, Experian, Equafax, etc and they dont cross reference! I have excellect credit here in the US and debt is not a crime!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladybutterfly444
I cant talk about unpaid student debts but when I moved to the US 6 years ago from the UK I left all my credit cards and unsececured personal loan unpaid. And like someone else posted, after 6 or 7 years the loan gets written off. When you move to another country debt collection agencies and creditors can not come look for you. Also a good point to note is the UK has the same agencies as the US as far as credit, Experian, Equafax, etc and they dont cross reference! I have excellect credit here in the US and debt is not a crime!
Great. Just the kind of person needed in our finest city.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they can, but not in the form of UK collection agencies. Legally or not they can sell off your debt to a US agency and make your life uncomfortable. I'm not sure what they can do, but is it worth it to make that kind of statement with so much confidence? Maybe you got lucky, but the next person may not.....
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

....... and you proudly announce this to this forum? Debt might not be a crime but its morally wrong.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

and debt is not a crime!
Isn't abandoning your debt a crime? Or is it the breaking of a legally binding contract that is?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Isn't abandoning your debt a crime? Or is it the breaking of a legally binding contract that is?
What!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
What!
hmm, I may have to get me some of that then.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

ladybutterfly444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
....... and you proudly announce this to this forum? Debt might not be a crime but its morally wrong.
Hey, these credit card companies make enough money from all of us in interest and fee's .... why would I feel bad about it? Not like I am robbing from a poor old woman or something! And anyways, its not like I intentionally knew I was moving to the USA so suddenly applied for a bunch of credit cards and racked them up to their limits. These were old debts that I had way before I even met my American husband! I was moving to another country, didnt have a job, it really is not as bad as you are making it out!

Oh, and you say its morally wrong, so I guess that also applies to everyone who has ever declared bankruptcy?!?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hmm, I may have to get me some of that then.
A quick study at Google University suggests there are a number of actions surrounding indebtedness that could be considered illegal and could attract prosecution. For example trying to abscond with assets after being declared bankrupt.

There is something to be said for taking a correct moral and ethical approach in clearing debts in order to avoid burning bridges. One might say they are never going back but there are countless threads on here that demonstrate many people often end up back home sooner than they hoped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.