Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Keeping your British citizenship is not a problem. Assuming you were born British, it is quite difficult to get rid of it even if you did want to. That said, once you become a USC, DO NOT try to enter the US on your British passport, also you will be obligated to file an annual tax return to the IRS no matter where in the world you live.
I can't recall the statute off hand but I think it's more about don't misrepresent yourself. If you show up at a POE with a British passport and say you've lost your US one, and you make it absolutely plain to CBP that you've lost your US passport and only have your British one and you're a US citizen, they will probably send you to secondary and look you up to make sure you are. It's illegal to misrepresent yourself, not necessarily what ID you present, iirc.

I know they make a big song and dance about you must have a passport, trusted traveller card, blah blah blah but they can't deny entry to a US citizen. All it means is they check a variety of databases to confirm your identity. Memorize your alien registration number (especially if you're an LPR, in case you lose your card). CBP also have access to the DMV database, at least the one where the POE is located.

It's not like that Ben Stiller movie where he loses his passport and has to hire smugglers to get him back into the US.