Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do expats miss from the UK

What do expats miss from the UK

Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do expats miss from the UK

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Miss Macclesfield.

--------------------------------
She was the perfect woman,
She was my kind of a bird,
'Cos she stayed in the kitchen and she never said a word.
She had real big tits and a lovely slappable arse,
But now she's into barbeques and wine bars.
Oh, I used to go out with her 'cos she cooked me all me meals,
Then one day she made it big when she won Miss Macclesfield.
She married and Italian just 'cos he were posh,
And they honeymooned in Brussles and he played a bit of squash.
Next she wed an ale baron who come from Lancashire,
But he wasn't rich, he was just another Wigan queer.
Oh, I used to out with here 'cos she cooked me all me meals,
Miss Macclesfield....
Then one day she made it big, when she won Miss Macclesfield.
She'll get fed up of buffets and one day she'll come back,
'Cos she knows that all the real men live in Macc,
She'll tell me that she loves me and she hated livin' with toffs,
So I'll slip her a length and then I'll tell her,
*** off!
I used to go out with her 'cos she cooked a nice bit of grub,
She may have been a beauty queen but I'd rather go down the pub.
Miss Macclesfield, Miss Macclesfield.
But Poynton girls go out with Martins.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
But Poynton girls go out with Martins.
You have the advantage of local knowledge on me ... but I thought Pontins girls went with anyone ... or is that just Butlins?
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Holidays never the same over here, my other halfs working today "Good Friday" Sunday & Monday, and no bigger chocolate Easter Eggs!!!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:04 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
You have the advantage of local knowledge on me ... but I thought Pontins girls went with anyone ... or is that just Butlins?

Pft! POYNTON girls. From the dump of a town of Poynton. Not Pontins.

BTW A Macc Lads Fan!! Woohoo.

Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:54 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ImHere
Pft! POYNTON girls. From the dump of a town of Poynton. Not Pontins.

BTW A Macc Lads Fan!! Woohoo.
Used to work with the sister of the lead singer of the Macc Lads.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:58 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

As of tomorrow i'll be missing the new series of Doctor Who. I'll may have to make a visit to UKnova tomorrow night, but it won't be the same as actualy watching it. At least i'll be back in Blighty for some of the later episodes.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 5:01 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by RoB1833

Muttleys lass.

I went to school with Steg Stix the drummer. He would hate it if mentioned its name....Macclesfield High School for Girls. LOL they never changed the name after it went comp and all our books till had it on. Used to drink in the Nags Head with them on occaision as well.

Aaah those heady days of standing in a muddy field in Wilmslow watching Barrel chucking people off the "stage".....happy, happy days.

Old Mar 25th 2005, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
As of tomorrow i'll be missing the new series of Doctor Who. I'll may have to make a visit to UKnova tomorrow night, but it won't be the same as actualy watching it. At least i'll be back in Blighty for some of the later episodes.
Can't you burn 'em to dvd or play 'em on an mpeg 4 dvd player?
I'll probably be gettin' them as well, though billie piper was a bit strange, got the leaked copy when that did the rounds earlier...didn't look that good, but then I didn't watch the whole thing...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:51 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't you burn 'em to dvd or play 'em on an mpeg 4 dvd player?
I'll probably be gettin' them as well, though billie piper was a bit strange, got the leaked copy when that did the rounds earlier...didn't look that good, but then I didn't watch the whole thing...
I can do that, but it won't be quite the same as actually sitting down on Saturday night and actually watching it. I did see the leaked episode though, and IMHO it was actually bloody good, but as a major fan of the show I would say that . I love the new look TARDIS BTW
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I can do that, but it won't be quite the same as actually sitting down on Saturday night and actually watching it. I did see the leaked episode though, and IMHO it was actually bloody good, but as a major fan of the show I would say that . I love the new look TARDIS BTW
Just finally got around to watching the whole episode...so made a bit more sense...weren't that bad I guess, but it weren't half cheesy, and piper couldn't act at all...and the effects were pretty shocking, but the tardis was cool
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RoB1833
Tenuous but respect-worthy

"Sheep Shaggers!"
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:26 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: What do expats miss from the UK

Well I used to miss fish and chips until I got hold of a decent deep frier which works well with my recipe for beer battered cod. Now it's not so bad! :-) What I do miss though is being able to walk up to my local chippy and ask for a Mixed Kebab! I miss British TV we have a way of doing it and we do it right (doncha think?) I really hate the way the adverts are shown here before the final credits, I'm never sure if the show is over until the adverts end and then the music comes back on and titles are rolling. BBC America is of course awful. It wouldn't be so bad but the only good shows they ever show were never actually screened on the BBC! If it was anything like BBC1 it would be worth watching - alas it isn't and doesn't even equate to BBC3 and a half. Sad fact is I still watch it, since much of the US TV is so bad. Mind you Craig Ferguson is on channel 11 (10 in our area?) and worth sitting up for some nights, even though most of his guests are people I've never heard of. He's apparently become the favourite lurve god of many a US housewife. Anyway what I really miss and this is the important bit - I MISS DECENT TASTING TEABAGS! I'd even settle for the cheapest brand that you get in Asda (which I happen to like and in strength are just right). I'm really sick of Liptons and Walmart's Orange Pekoe, both of which are much too strong. I really hate asking for tea in a restuarant and what I get is a cup of really strong tea which tastes as though it's been stewed for hours. Don't these people understand I like my tea weak. :-) Anyway I'm back in the UK in May for a holiday and I'll be buying lots of Asda teabags to bring back with me.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:32 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
I'm really sick of Liptons and Walmart's Orange Pekoe, both of which are much too strong. I really hate asking for tea in a restuarant and what I get is a cup of really strong tea which tastes as though it's been stewed for hours. Don't these people understand I like my tea weak. :-) .
damn you must like your tea weak Liptons tastes like gnats piss!!....Right now i'm able to buy genuine Tetley tea bags from our local H.E.B , they're really strong ..i put one in my cuppa and let it steep...I've even been known to drink my tea with the bag still in...and i only drink it black too...hehe That's probably the reason i have to use Rembrant toothpaste *lol*
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:56 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
damn you must like your tea weak Liptons tastes like gnats piss!!....Right now i'm able to buy genuine Tetley tea bags from our local H.E.B , they're really strong ..i put one in my cuppa and let it steep...I've even been known to drink my tea with the bag still in...and i only drink it black too...hehe That's probably the reason i have to use Rembrant toothpaste *lol*
What you really like your tea that strong??? :-) Hope you are making regular appointments with the dental hygeinist. Now Tetley Tea bags I could certainly handle (The Tetley tea folks make a luvverly cup of rosey) and also I'll be at the HEB later today trying to get Finding Neverland for a dollar (I've been trying to get it for 2 weeks but it's in big demand!) So very likely I'll try and get some. Oh yes, Liptons really is awful tea. :-D
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:11 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
What you really like your tea that strong??? :-) Hope you are making regular appointments with the dental hygeinist. Now Tetley Tea bags I could certainly handle (The Tetley tea folks make a luvverly cup of rosey) and also I'll be at the HEB later today trying to get Finding Neverland for a dollar (I've been trying to get it for 2 weeks but it's in big demand!) So very likely I'll try and get some. Oh yes, Liptons really is awful tea. :-D
Yes us Scots like our tea black and weak.When you are home in May look out for Scottish blend makes a lovely cuppa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.