Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do expats miss from the UK

What do expats miss from the UK

Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do expats miss from the UK

Originally Posted by Eskimo
does the word Enron mean anything to you ? that and an Austrian who looks like condom stuffed with walnuts running the place !
fair enough...maybe he should get the prisioners and what not to run on tread mills and get a bit of extra power going
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

I miss being able to buy alcohol in supermarkets! I know that some states sell it there but nowhere near where we are. Also, on a Sunday if you want to buy any to take home you have to go to a stinky "package goods store"!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

dkrae is an unknown quantity at this point

fox world sports has got 4 live on the weekend

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I miss driving in the UK. In general, people are much better drivers in the UK than they are here in Florida.

I also miss the typical things that many others have said here: curries, pubs, M&S, orange squash, decent TV, being able to watch football live at sensible times, roast dinners.

Also, believe it or not, I actually miss the UK government!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
I miss being able to buy alcohol in supermarkets! I know that some states sell it there but nowhere near where we are. Also, on a Sunday if you want to buy any to take home you have to go to a stinky "package goods store"!
in maine, they are trying to get it mandatory that you have to show all places your ID if under 27 before being allowed to buy booze...that would bug the hell out of me because the local bar doesn't bother ID the regulars, neither does the local ma and pa store....sod the major grocery store as they only accepted new england drivers license, other states were on approval by manager, and they wouldn't take passports or military id's.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
in maine, they are trying to get it mandatory that you have to show all places your ID if under 27 before being allowed to buy booze...that would bug the hell out of me because the local bar doesn't bother ID the regulars, neither does the local ma and pa store....sod the major grocery store as they only accepted new england drivers license, other states were on approval by manager, and they wouldn't take passports or military id's.
That seems a bit silly to me. What happens if you don't show your ID, do they presume you're over 27? and how will they know you are over 27 without showing ID?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

LondonGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
What do I miss? The blooming NHS!!!!!

Ooo, interesting one ... how come?

I thought the US medical system was 'supposed' to be one its crowning glories, no?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonGal
Ooo, interesting one ... how come?

I thought the US medical system was 'supposed' to be one its crowning glories, no?
no....
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
no....

So how is it then pls? or do i need a whole new thread for this one?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

So how is it then pls?
how is it?

it means everyone, even with health insurance is pretty much a stroke or bypass away from bankruptcy.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That seems a bit silly to me. What happens if you don't show your ID, do they presume you're over 27? and how will they know you are over 27 without showing ID?
exactly...******* stupid ain't it....and I think if your under 27 you have to show ID, or you wouldnt' get served booze, and if you don't look like an old codger, you ain't getting served....all really stupid...
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

ok ... this is a great thought at the outset of the immigration process

now Im even more scared lol
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So how is it then pls? or do i need a whole new thread for this one?
not to mention death, you don't have insurance, you don't get treated or you go bankrupt trying.
Medical treatment is stupidly expensive, a simple no probs and quick birth can cost $30K + without insurance.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Seriously, husband to be has a good job with what seems to my understanding be a decent benefits package so Im assuming the meds insurance isnt paper thin.

I thought everyday stuff like maternity treatment, A&E type issues and apendicitis was all kinda no worries and that it was only when you got to chronic arthritis, cancers, etc etc, that the insurance companies borked.

Seems not, think I should go digging on this then.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:35 pm
@matthewb76

Seriously, husband to be has a good job with what seems to my understanding be a decent benefits package so Im assuming the meds insurance isnt paper thin.

I thought everyday stuff like maternity treatment, A&E type issues and apendicitis was all kinda no worries and that it was only when you got to chronic arthritis, cancers, etc etc, that the insurance companies borked.

Seems not, think I should go digging on this then.
Maternity care/treatment is the health insurance equivalent of pushing your car off a cliff.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:45 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

there are some good company insurance packages out there. don't let this lot who are on a downer over medical insurance scare you

Last edited by candy wy.; Mar 24th 2005 at 3:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.