Reload this Page >

What do expats miss from the UK

What do expats miss from the UK

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do expats miss from the UK

Originally Posted by dragonfly
What do expats miss or not miss about the UK? I personally miss fish & chips however oru local friendlys restaurant does a fairly good New England version using cod,I also miss decent TV BBC America shows the programes thgat we have seen in the UK prior to comming to the States. I do not miss petrol prices, consumer goods prices, housing market. I ask this as friends of ours in New Mexico who are also British Expats were discussing this question.

miss: curry

dont miss: chavs, weather, miserable faces, my family
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:01 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eskimo
miss: curry

dont miss: chavs, weather, miserable faces, my family
I miss curry too but I recently found some decent recipe books and a small store in town run by an Indian couple that sell all the right spices... now it's just getting down to experimenting !
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I miss curry too but I recently found some decent recipe books and a small store in town run by an Indian couple that sell all the right spices... now it's just getting down to experimenting !

its not just the curry its all the things that go with it - nan breads, bharjis, kebabs, riatta etc etc
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

its not just the curry its all the things that go with it - nan breads, bharjis, kebabs, riatta etc etc
I made a really really yummy Dopiaza curry at the weekend and had mango chutney too (used the Pataks sauces now in stock in Weiss), made pilau rice with seasonings but yep, it is definitely the nan bread that was missing and poppadums.

I don't miss much at all except Marks & Spencers and Waitrose - it's the fresh ready meals too that I miss - everything here is frozen and pretty much crap (with one or two exceptions).

I don't miss traffic jams, trains, underground, buses, crowded London, miserable people, etc, etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:16 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
I made a really really yummy Dopiaza curry at the weekend and had mango chutney too (used the Pataks sauces now in stock in Weiss), made pilau rice with seasonings but yep, it is definitely the nan bread that was missing and poppadums.

I don't miss much at all except Marks & Spencers and Waitrose - it's the fresh ready meals too that I miss - everything here is frozen and pretty much crap (with one or two exceptions).

I don't miss traffic jams, trains, underground, buses, crowded London, miserable people, etc, etc.
now THAT, I agree with - the Naan bread we had recently was awful compared to my old favourite curry house u the street back in the UK...... Which part of Pa are you in Alison ?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:19 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

now THAT, I agree with - the Naan bread we had recently was awful compared to my old favourite curry house u the street back in the UK...... Which part of Pa are you in Alison ?
Anyone else in central PA like moi?

I miss - My mum, my old gym, food and pavements everywhere.

Don't miss - my brother, shite wages, not being able to afford anything.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:34 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
DON'T MISS:
Deep Fried Mars Bars :scared:
Umm, were you forced to eat them or something?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Anyone else in central PA like moi?

I miss - My mum, my old gym, food and pavements everywhere.

Don't miss - my brother, shite wages, not being able to afford anything.
I miss my folks and I would put my sister but she's moving to Oz so she won't even be in the UK for much longer !

My wife's from E.Pa (jsut north of Philly) so I was just seeing where people are from...... I miss being able to be understood by people with differing accents though ! It's a nightmare down here in TN at times
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:02 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to that.
I lived in B'ham for 2 years and we always had our curries and all the trimmings on the weekends after the pub.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Nothing but family and friends.
Same here. All material stuff can be found here (or very close substitutes I find). Even found a fantastic Indian Restaurant over in St Petersburg a few weeks back, first one in US that was totally on a par with a UK Indian! My life is complete!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

I'm just over the Mason-Dixon line - about 30 minutes from York and an hour from Harrisburg and about 45 minutes from Baltimore.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:21 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I miss driving in the UK. In general, people are much better drivers in the UK than they are here in Florida.

I also miss the typical things that many others have said here: curries, pubs, M&S, orange squash, decent TV, being able to watch football live at sensible times, roast dinners.

Also, believe it or not, I actually miss the UK government!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:28 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered one thing I really miss. English loos. I keep bunging the American loos up. It's not that my big jobbies are especially big, it's just that they seem so prone to being bunged up.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sibsie
I just remembered one thing I really miss. English loos. I keep bunging the American loos up. It's not that my big jobbies are especially big, it's just that they seem so prone to being bunged up.
I was bunging up the loo all the time when I got here, now it's only about once a week! LOL
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
Same here. All material stuff can be found here (or very close substitutes I find). Even found a fantastic Indian Restaurant over in St Petersburg a few weeks back, first one in US that was totally on a par with a UK Indian! My life is complete!
Please tell me you know of some good ones in TN too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.