Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

what do all these abbreviations stand for?

what do all these abbreviations stand for?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

carjen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what do all these abbreviations stand for?

Can anyone enlighten a newcomer to this forum?
What does NOA, IBIS and NSC, TSC or VSC mean?
Does anyone know how quickly the London INS office will process applications?
Cheers,
Kiera
Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:54 pm
mca
Forum Regular

mca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what do all these abbreviations stand for?

Originally posted by carjen:
Can anyone enlighten a newcomer to this forum?
What does NOA, IBIS and NSC, TSC or VSC mean?

NOA - notice of action
IBIS - Interagency Border Inspection System (it's a security check)

CSC, NSC, VSC - California, Nebraska, and Vermont service centers, respectively (there's also the TSC - Texas)

I don't know about London - sorry!

mca
Old Aug 21st 2002, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice

I think you're going to need to specify which kind of application--the embassy in London processes lots. If you mean the K-1 application, our 2nd NOA (Notice of Approval) was dated July 11, and my fiance's interview at the embassy is September 9, so approximately two months, and we went through TSC (Texas Service Center).

-Heidi
Old Aug 21st 2002, 5:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm
·
·
· I-94 - Arrival/Departure record. This will be issued at the originating airport, on the flight or at the border if traveling from Canada or Mexico. It should be stamped with a 90 day work authorization and should be kept until the INS interview
· I-102 - Form to apply for I-94 if it was lost, destroyed or mutilated.
· I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiance(e). Can only be filed by US Citizen and must be filed in the US.
· I-130 - Petition for alien relative.
· I-134 - Affidavit of support. Used when applying for non-immigrant visas.
· I-131 - Application for Re-entry Permit/Advanced Parole. Required to re-enter between filing I-485 and getting the green card stamp.
· I-468 - Data Collection for Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System (ADIT). A processing form. Similar to WR-702 or WR-703.
· I-551 - Alien Registration Receipt Card. The 'Green' Card. After a successful interview at the INS office, this will be stamped in the passport and the laminated card send afterwards.
· I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization Document
· I-485 - Change of Status form. Must be filed after the wedding to begin process of transferring status to permanent resident.
· I-751 - Petition to remove conditions. This form must be filed jointly by original petitioner and beneficiary in the 3 months prior to the 2nd anniversary of obtaining conditional permanent residency.
· I-864 - Affidavit of support. This form is to be filed with I-485 when changing status
· I-865- Sponsors change of address. If you signed the I-864 affidavit, you must report change of your address within 10 days.
· I-797 - Notice of Action. Both the receipt notice, and approval notice will be issued on this form.
· I-688 - This is the number of a laminated Employment Authorization Document. (Currently version I-688B)
· G-325A - Biographic Information. Needs to be filled out for petitioner and beneficiary when petitioning, and again when filing adjustment of status
· I-9 - Employment Eligibility Verification. You will be required to fill this form out when applying for a job to show you are legally employable.
· I-90 - Application to Replace Alien Receipt Card. This will need to be filed if you lose your green card. (and I think when it expires)
· 9003 - "Additional Questions to be Completed by All Applicants for Permanent Residence in the United States" (a form used by the Internal Revenue Service)
· AR-11 - Change of Address form. Tough to find. Send a letter instead.
· N-400 - Application for Naturalization (to United States Citizen)
· WR-702 or WR-703 - Data Collection for Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System (ADIT). A processing form. Similar to I-468.
· ADIT - Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System
· AOS - Affidavit of Support
· AOS - Adjustment of Status
· Consulate - Work place of a diplomat who's job is to look after the interest of it's citizens in a foreign country. This is also where visas are processed
· CPR - Conditional Permanent Resident
· CSC - California Service Center
· DOJ - Department of Justice. INS falls under the jurisdiction of the DOJ
· EAD - Employment Authorization Document
· Embassy - The building in which an ambassador lives or works. The Embassy does not process visas
· FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
· INA - Immigration and Nationality Act
· IBIS - Interagency Border Inspection System
· INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service
· IRS - Internal Revenue Service
· ISP - Internet Service Provider
· IVACS - Immigrant Visa Applicant Control System
· JFK - John F. Kennedy International Airport
· NG - Newsgroup
· NOA - Notice of Action (form I-797)
· NSC - Nebraska Service Center
· PDF - Adobe Portable Document Format (used by Adobe Reader)
· PISS - Pre-INS Submission Syndrome
· POE - Port of Entry. Usually airport or border crossing inspection post.
· PR - Permanent Resident (Also LPR - Legal Permanent Resident)
· SSA - Social Security Administration
· SSN - Social Security Number
· TSC - Texas Service Center
· VSC - Vermont Service Center
· VWPP - Visa Waiver Pilot Program
Old Aug 21st 2002, 5:49 pm
Ben Johnson

NOA -Notice of Action IBIS- Interagency Border Inspection System NSC-Nebraska Service
Center TSC-Texas Service Center VSC-Vermont Service Center

"carjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone enlighten a newcomer to this forum? What does NOA, IBIS and NSC, TSC or
    > VSC mean? Does anyone know how quickly the London INS office will process
    > applications? Cheers, Kiera
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 21st 2002, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi,
If you're filing an I-130 (spousal visa) current time lines
from initially filing the I-130/G-325A to the interview date
are about 3.5/4months
Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:42 pm
Mrtravel

carjen wrote:
    > Can anyone enlighten a newcomer to this forum? What does NOA, IBIS and NSC, TSC or
    > VSC mean? Does anyone know how quickly the London INS office will process
    > applications?

NFC.............

Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:57 pm
L D Jones

carjen wrote:
[ ... ]
    > Does anyone know how quickly the London INS office will process applications?

It depends on the type of application. start by reading the INS sections of the US
Embassy website

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/

If you are a US citizen who is legally resident in the UK and married to a British
citizen you are eligible to file the I-130 and related forms directly with the
Embassy. This is known here as DCF (direct consular filing; note this is not an
official INS term).

The entire process should take 3-4 months. As mentioned in another thread I don't
think there is any way around the fact that you have to file the tax returns (at a
guess, at least the last 3 year's worth). As the spouse you are considered the
primary financial sponsor for the I-864 no matter whether or not your income meets
the requirement.

Assets can be used and your husband's income can be used as well (I think, I have no
experience with this. It depends on how long you've been "in the same household.").
You may need a co-sponsor who can also fill out an I-864 to meet the requuired income
level. The co-sponsor must be a US citizen or permanent resident living in the US but
does not have to be a relative.

The last two things that take the most time are to gather your spouse's immunisation
records and get a "police certificate." The immunisation record is not required in
the sense that if no records are available he will need to get all the jabs the day
of the medical exam (or prove he got them elsewhere, say at his GP). This usually
means only one or two (MMR and something else, but I can't recall what that is). The
police cert is required.

The forms are simple and their website explains what is necessary. Their FAQs will
help as well.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:35 pm
Targaff

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in
news:3D63ED42.B8A0AF26 @sbcglobal.net:

> NFC.............

LOL

--

Targaff

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:49 am
Mrtravel

Targaff wrote:
    > mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:3D63ED42.B8A0AF26 @sbcglobal.net:
    > > NFC.............
    > LOL

And I was afraid no one would know what I meant

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 7:44 pm
Targaff

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in
news:3D645F3B.39B4E5A0 @sbcglobal.net:

>> > NFC.............
    >> LOL
    > And I was afraid no one would know what I meant

<g> well to be honest I have NFC either, even though I'm going through the whole
process ;p I can just about manage TSC...

--

Targaff

Old Aug 29th 2002, 6:17 pm
Wilbur Whitman

Rete, I HOPE you cut and pasted, I would hate to imagine you sitting there and
hammering all that out on the keyboard

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.txdirect.net/user-
    > s/mike38/k1faq.htm
     · · · I-94 - Arrival/Departure record. This will be
    > issued at the originating airport, on the flight or at the border if traveling from
    > Canada or Mexico. It should be stamped with a 90 day work authorization and should
    > be kept until the INS interview · I-102 - Form to apply for I-94 if it was
    > lost, destroyed or mutilated. · I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiance(e). Can
    > only be filed by US Citizen and must be filed in the US. · I-130 - Petition
    > for alien relative.
\