Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What did you bring?

What did you bring?

Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you bring?

Originally Posted by sile
Wow, that's a lot of money! You must have a large pile of boxes, or perhaps and more likely I have no idea what it costs to ship things.

Is the biggest factor the two tool chests?

When are you moving and where to, if you don't mind my asking?
We are West Coast to Wales, and also no where near any terminals, so I think that will add greatly to our costs. We are about 3 hours to San Francisco on a good traffic day.
The tool chests are the biggest thing and so heavy. Still hoping we can do Upackweship. shared container or a couple of u-crates
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:58 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

I'm moving back in *gasp* 3 weeks!? and bringing 4 suitcases full of clothes and accessories, a notebook or two, some school supplies, and some cheap potsets and cooking utensils that we picked up here because they are comparatively cheaper. That's it really- I'm leaving all my DVDs, momentos, keepsakes, containers and my beloved book collection at my parents house here in Georgia (US) until I have somewhere to put them all. I think as long as you bring whatever you actually can't live even a week without, you'll be okay.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8
I'm moving back in *gasp* 3 weeks!? and bringing 4 suitcases full of clothes and accessories, a notebook or two, some school supplies, and some cheap potsets and cooking utensils that we picked up here because they are comparatively cheaper. That's it really- I'm leaving all my DVDs, momentos, keepsakes, containers and my beloved book collection at my parents house here in Georgia (US) until I have somewhere to put them all. I think as long as you bring whatever you actually can't live even a week without, you'll be okay.
Three weeks I thought you'd be on your way already. When do classes start?
Old Aug 19th 2012, 6:18 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Three weeks I thought you'd be on your way already. When do classes start?
Teaching starts Oct. 1, so I've got time in that respect, but I definitely wanted to be out of here a month ago!! My mum set the time table with respect to when I'd be actually starting classes (and I had to pull teeth to get her to let me leave the first week of September rather than the 22) based on her belief that I'm going to be an absolute burden to my uncles who will be picking me up from the airport. In fact, I was told that I needed to 'let her deal with HER family thankyou and just do what I'm told'. It's been lovely this summer I tell you.
I can't argue because she bought my ticket. (boo for financial and emotional manipulation! Mums eh?)

I do understand how hard this is for her, but our relations have already said time and time again that it's not that big of a deal for them- but now you know why I seem to have this complex about being a huge problem for other people...
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:52 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to live with my parents (oh dear!) for 6 months so am putting my stuff into storage in Australia as it is much cheaper here. Once I have my own place again I will just e-mail the company and they will ship it over to the UK.

I have cleared out/sold all kitchen stuff, mattresses, some clothes/shoes, all electrical stuff and am putting into storage antique furniture (bought in France, TOO pretty to part with!), sofas, dining table and chairs, photos, books (pared down), DVD's (pared down) artwork, a fab dining set and some posh glasses - everything else is being disposed of! I am taking my laptop, a suitcase full of clothes, my passport and a smile!

Just a tip for returnees re DVD's you can play any DVD's in any country if you break the code on your DVD player. For most of them as follows:-

Turn on player, open drawer, point remote at player and press 0000 it should bring up a 'hidden' screen. It will come up with regions - 1 for US, 2 for UK, 4 for Oz just change region to 0 and hey presto - you can play any DVD you like! Some players need a code instead of the 0000 so just Google your DVD player and ask for the code - simple!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

MissBetty,

Thanks for the tip on the DVD. I also heard that the newer DVD's have a choice of region?

Tel8,

I too will be doing suitcases and boxes. I do have two big pieces that I really love and want to take with me but have no idea how to. I bought them at Pier One and I just adore them. It will be very hard to part with them. As for my books I have a ton. I guess I will have to decide if I want to put them in storage or just take the most important ones
Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:29 pm
is finally happy

Originally Posted by Brigette
MissBetty,

Thanks for the tip on the DVD. I also heard that the newer DVD's have a choice of region?

Tel8,

I too will be doing suitcases and boxes. I do have two big pieces that I really love and want to take with me but have no idea how to. I bought them at Pier One and I just adore them. It will be very hard to part with them. As for my books I have a ton. I guess I will have to decide if I want to put them in storage or just take the most important ones
Books are the hardest part! I really wish I could bring all mine with me because I know the minute I get there I'm going to want one of the ones I had to leave Happens every time.

Still, I haven't got to part with them forever, I'm leaving all of them home with my parents until I can sort out my own place and have room to put them. Then I'll probably just box and ship them the same way I did the suitcases- may have to revisit that later though.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 8:50 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
MissBetty,

Tel8,

You're very welcome! Yes you can get multi region DVD players so that would help too. I just bought a cheap $79 one and changed the region on it. I wish I'd known before I left the UK and gave all my movies away!

Yes most of my books going into storage too, they're medical books mainly so I'll have to choose just the most important ones as they weigh a ton lol!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Miss Betty and Tel8,

Fantastic idea about storing books. I guess I will do that with the books as well as my two big items I am attached to Thanks guys!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

what are people paying for shipping from Australia? I brought everything over here and have bought a few bits since, but I definately want to get rid of some things, washing machine fridge etc.... Im not really attached to furniture and plan to rent when I get to London anyway...

So my thinking is, SOME books, clothes, pictures, photos my bike?? I just wish i had sonme idea of prices for volume..
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:09 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
what are people paying for shipping from Australia? I brought everything over here and have bought a few bits since, but I definately want to get rid of some things, washing machine fridge etc.... Im not really attached to furniture and plan to rent when I get to London anyway...

So my thinking is, SOME books, clothes, pictures, photos my bike?? I just wish i had sonme idea of prices for volume..
When I came here 5 years ago the Service paid for my relocation so I bought everything INC the kitchen sink ha ha!!!!! Over the last few months I've given away/sold a lot of stuff - spare bed, mattresses, clothes, shoes, fridge, washing machine - and won't be taken any electrical goods either.

My stuff would fill a one bed flat e.g 1 x Queen bed, 2 x 2 seat sofas, coffee table, dining table and chairs, a desk, chest of drawers, 3 small tables, 2 cabinets, 1 small bookcase and approx 6 boxes of dvd,s, books, photos, crockery, pictures, linens, etc. I also have a bike and 2 x surfboards. I could get rid of the table and chairs plus the sofas but the rest is non negotiable I have 3 months to decide as I have to move out of my rental mid Dec when the lease expires.

The quotes I received for shipping ( plus $16 for packing each box) were between $4500 - $5500 from Far North Queensland area to Brighton, UK. A couple of friends of mine used a company called Wridgways and said they were great. They both agreed storage was cheaper here than the UK so when they were ready they just e-mailed Wridgways and their stuff was put on the next ship to the UK. I'm going to contact them for shipping /storage quotes soon so will let you know.

If you are just shipping personal stuff and not your bike I read on here (somewhere!) that certain airlines let you take extra suitcases for a fee. The only one I have found so far is British Airways. You get one suitcase at 23 kg free then extra suitcases at that weight are £34 then then next is £77 I think? If anyone on here knows a better deal please let me know as I'll be taking a couple of suitcases home - I have a LOT of shoes!!!! Cheers!