Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What day of week is best to enter US when you actually move?

What day of week is best to enter US when you actually move?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What day of week is best to enter US when you actually move?

Any day but a public holiday imx. CBP are supposed to have cover but if they get stuck on anything (which they may well if you're coming in as anything but B-1/2 or VWP) you will be sat in secondary for hours, I speak from personal experience. Plus do you really want the cover to be entering all your details into the system that SSA use?

Also it's not unknown for them to try phoning your employer if you've entered to work to confirm who you are, so if you enter on a day when no-one is at the office, that could cause a problem.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Also it's not unknown for them to try phoning your employer if you've entered to work to confirm who you are, so if you enter on a day when no-one is at the office, that could cause a problem.
In 13 years following US immigration, I have never heard of an officer calling an employer (or anyone else for that matter) to confirm an identity regardless of the visa on which you enter. I think you're just making this up.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Watch an episode of Homeland Security USA. Several episodes where it happened. In fact there was one where they pulled an Italian into secondary and phoned literally every number they could find in his luggage because they didn't buy his story (and he was denied entry). I remember another one where a woman from the UK said she was visiting her brother and they phoned him to check out the story (and she was denied entry).

I got pulled into secondary once at Hartsfield and they wanted to phone my UK employer to confirm my non-immigrant intent but because of the time difference they couldn't, they did try phoning though and got the machine to confirm the company existed. I've sat at YYC in secondary inspection and watched them call people.

I know people on TN-1 and they've phoned the employer to check that the job letter isn't fake.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 15th 2010 at 6:27 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Wednesday.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Tuesday
Boxing Day?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

They don't have Boxing Day in USA do they?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith S
They don't have Boxing Day in USA do they?
They sure do... only they call it December 26.

Ian