Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Covid test will be required to ENTER the U.S

What Covid test will be required to ENTER the U.S

Old Aug 15th 2021, 9:31 am
Banned

johnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Covid test will be required to ENTER the U.S

To get through U.S immigration once the borders reopen assuming they ever do but that would be a different discussion.

What type of Covid test would be required? A PCR test, an ANTIGEN test or a LATERAL FLOW TEST. I put those different names in capital letters because they are only type of tests i know the names of. We are booked onto the upcoming Queen Mary first crossing of 2021 Nov 14th which we had to transfer from Christmas been waiting 2 years for this now. They will not conduct PCR test onboard we have phoned them and asked and been given the answer of no they don't have the facility apparently. But if that is required for entry then they would have to work it out wouldn't they?

Opinions please. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 3:48 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Covid test will be required to ENTER the U.S

Right now an antigen test taken no more than 72 hours prior is sufficient to enter the US assuming all the other requirements are met. If that remains the case when you cruise departs then I would think that the QM could offer those onboard since I don't believe they need a specialized lab.

However, IMO the chances of the cruise going forward is slim because I doubt that the travel restrictions will be lifted by then. The Biden administration is cautious in the extreme and I do not see them changing anything any time soon. If they do, then the QM will have to work out testing on board because of the 72 hours test requirement and I definitely do not foresee that changing in the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Orta87 is an unknown quantity at this point

They want anything that is a "Viral" test. In English that means a rapid antigen (not the NHS one) is acceptable so long as you have some sort of official looking document that says negative. There's loads of providers of this service so don't pay more than £50. Just triple check the date and times you book and what their turn around is. Most of these companies offering this service are pop ups and very poorly run
Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

An antigen test taken within the 3 days before arrival, but it has to be supervised by a medical professional. You can buy tests and do them via a video call.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
An antigen test taken within the 3 days before arrival, but it has to be supervised by a medical professional. You can buy tests and do them via a video call.
Not used them yet, but I bought tests from Azova for the US to UK (and back to the US) trip (1 pre flight to UK, 2 day UK test and 1 pre flight to return to the USA) the pre-flight tests are both done via video supervision. Will report back in a couple of weeks...
Old Aug 28th 2021, 12:25 pm
Banned

johnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Not used them yet, but I bought tests from Azova for the US to UK (and back to the US) trip (1 pre flight to UK, 2 day UK test and 1 pre flight to return to the USA) the pre-flight tests are both done via video supervision. Will report back in a couple of weeks...
I am uncertain that the video could be done from onboard the QM2. I don't think they have the good internet and wifi arrangement. But if tests are required onboard then surely the ships will make sure they are in a position to execute them if needed won't they? They won't be allowed to sail if they can't meet the requirements.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnbrown1938
I am uncertain that the video could be done from onboard the QM2. I don't think they have the good internet and wifi arrangement. But if tests are required onboard then surely the ships will make sure they are in a position to execute them if needed won't they? They won't be allowed to sail if they can't meet the requirements.
Internet on the QM2 is good. ATM there is no provision in place for testing…but who knows what may happen come November.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 2:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Internet on the QM2 is good. ATM there is no provision in place for testing…but who knows what may happen come November.
I think videoing tests might be tough for us using these fancy phones it not second nature to us. We have to transfer across the river into the New Jersey terminals to board the Royals Anthem ship the same day a sunday no less. And we have to show a negative PCR test THREE DAYS prior to arrival to BOARD Anthem. Sorry for the big letters but that is just for emphasis. No negative test no board no exception is what I have heard and apparently a good number of people could be affected by this problem getting on the royal because we will be onboard the Queen Mary and they are not prepared to promise tests at this stage. So we are hoping that testing is required and that we can get by that way because we could be in a spot of bother if we can't get it.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 9:56 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I think videoing tests might be tough for us using these fancy phones it not second nature to us. We have to transfer across the river into the New Jersey terminals to board the Royals Anthem ship the same day a sunday no less. And we have to show a negative PCR test THREE DAYS prior to arrival to BOARD Anthem. Sorry for the big letters but that is just for emphasis. No negative test no board no exception is what I have heard and apparently a good number of people could be affected by this problem getting on the royal because we will be onboard the Queen Mary and they are not prepared to promise tests at this stage. So we are hoping that testing is required and that we can get by that way because we could be in a spot of bother if we can't get it.
These have a 15 min result and it seems to be accepted by United airlines:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...pack?hsLang=en
Old Aug 30th 2021, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

To get through U.S immigration once the borders reopen assuming they ever do but that would be a different discussion.

What type of Covid test would be required? A PCR test, an ANTIGEN test or a LATERAL FLOW TEST. I put those different names in capital letters because they are only type of tests i know the names of. We are booked onto the upcoming Queen Mary first crossing of 2021 Nov 14th which we had to transfer from Christmas been waiting 2 years for this now. They will not conduct PCR test onboard we have phoned them and asked and been given the answer of no they don't have the facility apparently. But if that is required for entry then they would have to work it out wouldn't they?

Opinions please. Thanks in advance.
what would happen to someone that does not have the means to take a test 3 days prior to transfer at NJ, would they stay on the QM2? , at whos cost? when does the QM2 return when off schedule,

Old Aug 31st 2021, 11:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hutchison
what would happen to someone that does not have the means to take a test 3 days prior to transfer at NJ, would they stay on the QM2? , at whos cost? when does the QM2 return when off schedule,
Very good question. We booked with an agency who put the package together so we should be their responsibility to be fair. They have not provided an answer as to what will happen. And I doubt we are the only ones that will face a problem. But I suspect that if we are unable to board Anthem of the Sea the Royal Ship then will have to have hotels in new york. At whose cost I don't know. I will actually read the terms and conditions now actually to see what they say. Thank you for bringing this question up.
Old Aug 31st 2021, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Which international U.S./UK airport does not offer same-day Covid tests? Not sure about the purpose of this thread.
Old Aug 31st 2021, 7:49 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Which international U.S./UK airport does not offer same-day Covid tests? Not sure about the purpose of this thread.
The QM2 is a boat so it uses ports not airports…
Old Aug 31st 2021, 7:57 pm
tht

Very good question. We booked with an agency who put the package together so we should be their responsibility to be fair. They have not provided an answer as to what will happen. And I doubt we are the only ones that will face a problem. But I suspect that if we are unable to board Anthem of the Sea the Royal Ship then will have to have hotels in new york. At whose cost I don't know. I will actually read the terms and conditions now actually to see what they say. Thank you for bringing this question up.
good luck with that… you will have been in the UK within 14 days so likely won’t be admissible to the US, so won’t be able to go to a hotel either, assuming you can even board the ship I assume they would have to keep you onboard and bring you home, which would be better than at an airport. There they put you in a CBP cell if you are not admissible until the airline that brought you can fly you home (sometimes the next day).
Old Sep 1st 2021, 9:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tht
good luck with that… you will have been in the UK within 14 days so likely won’t be admissible to the US, so won’t be able to go to a hotel either, assuming you can even board the ship I assume they would have to keep you onboard and bring you home, which would be better than at an airport. There they put you in a CBP cell if you are not admissible until the airline that brought you can fly you home (sometimes the next day).
The entire thing is moot if the travel ban is in place i actually think it will be but I am giving in 50/50 chance off going.

Last edited by johnbrown1938; Sep 1st 2021 at 9:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.