Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What checks?

What checks?

Old Jan 16th 2002, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Kimberley is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me what checks are done during the time from Packet 3 until interview by the consulate?

If they search for criminial record, why do I need a police certificate?

Do they search the national register in all countries to see if I was ever married? (I haven't been)

What exactly do they do? I heard there was FBI checks but I havent been asked to give fingerprints.

Or are all the checks like this done in the USA before they approve the application?

This is all so confusing.

Thanks for any help.

Old Jan 16th 2002, 8:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The US Consulate will run a FBI name check on the foreign spouse before the interview. That is one of the reasons why if the FS comes to the US between mailing back the checklist and having the interview, the US Consulate might have to run a second report. The FBI report is for the US only.

Rete
Old Jan 16th 2002, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Kimberley is an unknown quantity at this point

So all they do is run an FBI check for criminial grounds on the fiancee (I'm not a spouse yet)? I thought they had to have fingerprints for that?

Sorry Rete for all these questions, but, thank you!
Old Jan 16th 2002, 10:23 pm

Jade is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing needed to run a criminal history through the FBI is name, dob, race and sex.
Old Jan 16th 2002, 11:33 pm
Jb

Kimberley wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Probably because the FBI (or whoever) has limited (if any) access to the databases in
foreign countries. They probably share information but there is no way to tell how
much. It seems unlikely that an FBI check could reveal, for example, that a person
has committed petty theft in another country or even a felony for that matter. The
INS requests the police certificate (from the countries from which it can be
obtained) to check your records in the foreign country.

>
    >

It seems to me this is very difficult if not impossible for American
authorities to do.

joe

Old Jan 17th 2002, 1:19 pm
M.Morris8

Thanks so much! All of you =)

>
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can anyone tell me what checks are done during the time from Packet 3 until[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > interview by the consulate?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If they search for criminial record, why do I need a police certificate?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Do they search the national register in all countries to see if I was ever[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > married? (I haven't been)[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >